Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Do's & Don'ts

C4-STORM

Are there many more :?

So far I have:

1) Don't run a boxer engine for long with vehicle stationary
2) Do drop Tip box down to 1st gear/don't pull away in default 2nd
3) Do warm engine initially on a run prior to 'spirited' use (n/a at meets!) - bit of a no-brainer...

Are there any more which may be useful to myself and others who may be relatively new to the marque :thumbs:

What's the thinking behind 1?

1 applies to any engine. The cold start and warm up cycle are conditions when oil pressure is low, oil viscocity is non-optimal, coolant flow is low and temperature gradients are potentially high, and changing. Fuelling will be rich and for all these reasons potential wear is increased. It's why if you lay your car up, it's worse to 'regularly run the engine". It's pointless and bad for it!
Even worse on a boxer engine because of the horizontal pistons and cylinders, so bore wear on the lower face of the cylinders is increased.
As I understand it, at least!

4) Don't tell your wife how much things relly cost
5) If he finds out the real price, tell her your remember when a half decent 964 was £15k and show her the current prices for them.

C4-STORM said:
3) Do warm engine initially on a run prior to 'spirited' use (n/a at meets!) - bit of a no-brainer...

I try and start the car up a few minutes before I leave to put a bit of heat in to the engine for this very reason :mrgreen:

Griffter said:
1 applies to any engine. The cold start and warm up cycle are conditions when oil pressure is low, oil viscocity is non-optimal, coolant flow is low and temperature gradients are potentially high, and changing. Fuelling will be rich and for all these reasons potential wear is increased. It's why if you lay your car up, it's worse to 'regularly run the engine". It's pointless and bad for it!
Even worse on a boxer engine because of the horizontal pistons and cylinders, so bore wear on the lower face of the cylinders is increased.
As I understand it, at least!

Agree with most of that, apart from the oil pressure is usually higher on start up due to the viscosity of the cold oil, drops down once the engine/oil is up to temp.

All the turbo cars I've had I always let them idle for a period after a run to get some fresh/cooler oil through the turbo galleries, worth remembering.

No.2 why drop to 1st for pulling away?

I agree it's seems logical but if Porsche designed it to pull away in 2nd is that not ideal ?

Apologies if the question has been asked before.

C4-STORM said:

So far I have:

Are there any more which may be useful to myself and others who may be relatively new to the marque :thumbs:

(Re) visit the FAQ's in the 996 forum.

Steve997 said:
No.2 why drop to 1st for pulling away?

I agree it's seems logical but if Porsche designed it to pull away in 2nd is that not ideal ?

Apologies if the question has been asked before.

Isn't it something to do with bore scoring? Tips are more prone and it's been put down to them pulling away in second gear.

I may have made that up though, I'm sure someone will be along to tell me I'm wrong shortly :grin:

pzero said:
C4-STORM said:

So far I have:

Sorry if being thick and can't see wood for trees but can't see a sticky in the 996 section. Any link or help?

Steve997 said:
pzero said:
C4-STORM said:

So far I have:

Sorry if being thick and can't see wood for trees but can't see a sticky in the 996 section.

Any link or help?

http://www.911uk.com/viewforum.php?f=33

So lots of handy info in there, but I don't see a do's and dont's :dont know:

Fast Bug said:
So lots of handy info in there, but I don't see a do's and dont's :dont know:

The OP was running a list and ended it by asking if there is anymore information that might be useful to himself and others that might be relatively new to the 996.
As you say, there is a wealth of information available via the link, and it is full of good help that answers many of the questions for those seeking to further their knowledge of their 996.

7) Don't forget to ask for members-club discounts when buying parts.
8) Don't worry about engine or gearbox failure; no point in doing so.
9) Do drive the car as much as possible - preferably hard, once oil is warm!
10) Do keep an eye out for rust; these cars are at least 15 years old now.

pzero said:
Steve997 said:
pzero said:
C4-STORM said:

So far I have:

Sorry if being thick and can't see wood for trees but can't see a sticky in the 996 section.

Any link or help?

http://www.911uk.com/viewforum.php?f=33

Massive thanks and sorry to pepper you with stupid questions but
I cannot find any thread discussing the problem with tiptronic cars pulling away in 2nd gear in the FAQ section . Is the answer embedded in a particular thread?

Sorry to be a royal Pita but the help is appreciated
:thumb:

Steve997 said:
.... I cannot find any thread discussing the problem with tiptronic cars pulling away in 2nd gear in the FAQ section . Is the answer embedded in a particular thread?

It's discussed at length (p3 onwards) within this thread

See => Here

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back