Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

side decal design thoughts

coullstar

Ive decided to play around a little with the styling on the car, nothing drastic and easily reversible. I just think the side of the car is a large expanse of colour that needs broken up. Therefore Id decided to try a 991 Carrera T look i.e. darker mirror caps, simple side stripe and stain grey wheels.

I fitted the mirror caps last night but being seal grey they are lighter than Id hoped so not sure now.
What Im thinking now is the Porsche side stripe as per the R but as Singer do it so two tone - mainly black but have the Porsche in a colour to match the mirror caps. Wheels then might be coded to seal grey.

Or would it be better with mainly grey with black Porsche text or stick with the plainer looking T decal with no text?

My car and examples below. Anybody that's handy with photoshop feel free to have a play :thumb:

Attachments

• img_20171217_125504_773.jpg
    img_20171217_125504_773.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5,720
  • 911_carrera_t_01_166.jpg
    911_carrera_t_01_166.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 5,720
  • t_style_110.jpg
    t_style_110.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 5,720
  • singer_911_silver_15_1100x732_127.jpg
    singer_911_silver_15_1100x732_127.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 5,720
  • pas01_b_145.jpg
    pas01_b_145.jpg
    916.1 KB · Views: 5,720
I Like the 'old' style Carrera wording and was looking at that (either from ebay or the States) but they seem to have disappeared now for some reason?

Anything to make it a 'little' different but reversible?

Like the first picture BTW - subtle

#2 for me

Must admit I'm not really a fan of side decals on 996s.....
- works best on models with harder lines - 996s are a bit too lean, rounded and sleek...... although turbos maybe get away with it better

.....think you should actually think bolder if you plan to go the decal/wrap route
i.e. why not something bolder that sweeps across the car a bit more aka martini striping "scale" of graphics, but otherwise more suitable to the colour palette of your own car? or more solid lines/blocks of colour/graphic....

EDIT: also of the mind that even a 996 'Porsche 911' is sufficiently iconic that if people don't know what it is at a glance, you don't need to help them out by having it written in great big letters down the side of the car (but I'm a young grumpy old bastard in that sense!)

I like 1 and 2.

I also have Fuchs-style wheels on mine, to which I must now add a set of these lovely decals ( :pc: :D ).

Top one gets my vote.

Yeah still in two minds about the Fuchs style as well. Found those Kercher FX wheels that seem decent value. Those with seal grey centres to tie in.

Everytime I see a Singer I love the decal but I also agree I don't normally like shouting about what car Im driving as its quite obvious. Hence why I thought about the T style one with no text as I do think the 996 needs something to break up the side.

The first one I really like as its very subtle. Thought about using a blue very close to my colour for the main stripe with the Porsche text in grey.

Im just wary of going just that bit to far.

I'm rocking the side stripes on my 997 (which is basically a facelifted 996?). I borrowed the look from the R, and had the black and red stripes made to order.

Not such a great picture of the stripes, but you can just see what I mean... I really need to upload more images to the hard drive of this PC.

Attachments

• 37698000554_f65e50ea45_c_198.jpg
    37698000554_f65e50ea45_c_198.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 5,598
The side stripe on the R:

Attachments

• 911_r_light_14_652.jpg
    911_r_light_14_652.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 5,591
Bit of a co-incidence, as I was asking the missus what she thought of the porsche side stripe earlier in the week with a view to adding it to my 997. Her response was its too chavvy.

I have to say id never really liked them, but it had been really really growing on me this last week.

They arent expensive so I may get a set and try it for a few weeks and see how it looks.

This is mine fitted by the PO, it covers some deep scratches on the driver's side.

Attachments

• dscn3379_edited_956.jpg
    dscn3379_edited_956.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 5,532
The Carrera stripes look nice. This is one my buddy put on his. They need to be the same colour as the wheels though!

Attachments

• bid_2_149.jpg
    bid_2_149.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 5,530
  • bid_1_591.jpg
    bid_1_591.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 5,530
Like that :thumb:

rabbitstew said:
Bit of a co-incidence, as I was asking the missus what she thought of the porsche side stripe earlier in the week with a view to adding it to my 997. Her response was its too chavvy.

I have to say id never really liked them, but it had been really really growing on me this last week.

They arent expensive so I may get a set and try it for a few weeks and see how it looks.

Rabbit thought you would be going full gulf livery mate, that would get 'er indoors going :grin: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back