Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

headlights on 996 3.4 c2 - shocking

NLW73

first time I used the blue baron in the dark. holy ***** sticks. the lights are awful. I thought they were not on at one point.

am used to modern LEDs or litronics on the GT3.

so what way do I go?

better bulbs?
aftermarket HID from HIDs4u?

truly frightening experience and must change asap.

Felt the same when I drove my Cayman for the first time, whack some HIDS4U in there, 35w kelvin should be around 5000k and you'll be off to a good start. Then whack some Osram Nightbreakers halogen bulbs in your main beam. Difference will Be night and day, literally.

If you already have Litronicss in there, the HID bulbs do go past their best. Just replace with some decent Osrams. Problem sorted, did this fit a chap I know with a Cayman with Litronics and did his full beam with halogen Nightbreakers. He was impressed with the improvement.

Oh and as a finishing touch I polished the lenses on the outside.

I swear that IIRC the last time I researched for light bulbs for 996, some said Nightbreakers had made the inside of the light go yellow. :dont know:

I went with Phillips in the end.

I've a set of hids to fit to mine once the weldings finished, just be aware that as of may they will be an mot failure so you'll need to swap back to halogens once a year. Hardly a major issue just something to bare in mind when doing the installation regarding location of components and not chucking the halogen bulbs away

This is true, my local high end Indie didn't batter an eyelid, thankfully.

Thomp1983 said:
I've a set of hids to fit to mine once the weldings finished, just be aware that as of may they will be an mot failure so you'll need to swap back to halogens once a year. Hardly a major issue just something to bare in mind when doing the installation regarding location of components and not chucking the halogen bulbs away

Until you blind someone coming the other way and your non compliant headlights are cited in their death.

Polish the lenses, clean the insides and fit new bulbs (they degrade) thats as good as they get.

I run bosch bulbs.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2018-group-test

I find the Litronics to be pretty good, straight swap in so very straightforward.

I kept the old lights, they're actually a lot lighter than the Litronics, which I found surprising.

35587809111_7907467468_b.jpg

wasz said:
Thomp1983 said:

Until you blind someone coming the other way and your non compliant headlights are cited in their death.

Polish the lenses, clean the insides and fit new bulbs (they degrade) thats as good as they get.

I run bosch bulbs.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2018-group-test

Not an issue if you have projector lenses on your car. 'Next...."

Should not be an issue if you fit h7r hid kit, the 'r'designates designed for reflector headlamps rather than projectors.

I changed all the bulbs in my 996.1 a couple of weeks ago. I fitted some cheap Yeaky D2S Xenon + 50% in the low beam and some Ring + 150 Xenon effect H7 Halogens in the high beam. Also some MTEC Xenon effect H6 side light bulbs. It's made a massive difference.

The OE Halogen lights are the worst headlights on any car I have ever owned considering it is a high performance sports car, but a HID conversion using H7R
5000K bulbs makes them considerably more acceptable, the H7R bulbs are shorter and partially shielded to cut out light scatter and provide the correct focal point cut off to meet with the road lighting regulation mine have passed an MOT OK.

Unfortunately as has been said the MOT reg`s are being revised and HID`s in a Halogen open reflector headlight will fail an MOT even though they may meet the lighting requirement.

Del.

I polished my lenses AND fitted new +50% brighter type bulbs - was still like driving by candle light!

Now changed them out for LEDs and I can now see like in any other modern car. Not quite the level of the LEDs in my BMW, but nearly as good as the Xenons in my wife's Audi A4.

The joys of being over 40......your night vision is poor.

Save your money and buy some carrots :eek: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back