Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anti roll bar Bush - is this an easy diy

calibra1010

Hi I'm looking to replace my front anti roll bar bush, is this an easy DIY for a novice? Any guides or tips? And do front wheels need to be removed as was thinking of driving my front wheels onto small ramps.

Any tips or pointers would be much appreciated

youtube it. Might be better youtubing 996 instead of 997.

Pretty easy but better jacked up and on stands .

I would remove the wheels for better access .. you could work around this i guess ..

Remove the under tray ( front ) , undo the link rod arm nuts .. if you turn the wheel / disc side to side you can find a spot to easily push out the link rods from the roll bar and also to put tension on the link rod for doing up and undoing .. just move it and look at the link rod as it moves up and down with side to side wheel movement basically .

Bushes are pretty obvious as are the fixings .

I assume you have a very heavy knock on bumpy roads ?

Its like a diagonal arm knock but much louder.

If not then im not sure why you would replace them as when they wear out its pretty obvious as above :)

Demort said:
Pretty easy but better jacked up and on stands .

I would remove the wheels for better access .. you could work around this i guess ..

Remove the under tray ( front ) , undo the link rod arm nuts .. if you turn the wheel / disc side to side you can find a spot to easily push out the link rods from the roll bar and also to put tension on the link rod for doing up and undoing .. just move it and look at the link rod as it moves up and down with side to side wheel movement basically .

Bushes are pretty obvious as are the fixings .

I assume you have a very heavy knock on bumpy roads ?

Its like a diagonal arm knock but much louder.

If not then im not sure why you would replace them as when they wear out its pretty obvious as above :)

Hi Demort,

Thanks for the pointer I'm going to have a go this weekend, have an annoying knocking noise when turning right and at very low speed (not all the time). Reading the forum I'm gonna try replacing the drop links and roll bar Bush as parts are cheap enough. I'm hoping it's not the shock mounts, the coffin arm is new so think that is fine.

The roll bar bushes have a distinct noise .. bloody loud !

Basically they only make one noise and it can be confused with a diagonal arm knock .. but a really bad one .

For the drop links you pull them up and down to check for play and also outwards .. any movement and thats your noise .. if no play then they dont knock .

Try with the wheels in the air pull / push top and bottom to check for play and side to side .

Another trick i would use .. but i have a ramp is hit the tyre with a large rubber hammer in a few different places .. mainly against the diagonal arm direction .. any lound metalic noise and you have something to trace .

Shocks and diagonal arms can be traced this way and turning lock to lock can help with top mount noises .. well to locate them i mean .

Replace the parts you have by all means but i hate to see people spend money on parts without being sure they are at fault ...

So i kinda bring my work home and nag you lot :D

My gut feeling .. drop link o/s/f or a top mount .. but that is a wild stab in the dark .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back