Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which Wax or Should I apply Gtechniq Liquid Crystal?

Andrew911

Spa-Francorchamps
So, I would say I am a very good cleaner of cars rather than a detailer - snow foam, 2 bucket method etc. I had Gtechniq applied professionally to my 981 Spyder when I owned it & was very impressed & now use Gtechniq cleaning products. Have new Cayenne coming this week & although the Gtechniq was great it would likely cost £1000 to get it done professionally on such a large SUV & I would be nervous applying Liquid Crystal myself. So got me thinking that I would feel more confident applying wax as its less likely you can fook it up than using Liquid Crystal.

So i guess my main questions are - is Liquid Crystal fairly easy to apply?
Or if I go down the wax route - which wax for best results? Is it worth paying a kings ransom for Swissvax?

I suspect the paintwork is unlikely to be perfect with showroom prep. I think it would be best to inspect it and make the decision. Likely it would need a single stage correction and a coat of Exo would be better option.
Serum will be expensive.
Just my opinion.

C2 is easy to apply.
Collinite is a good wax .

:stay: :stay:

In my experience c2v3 is just easy to apply as a wax (maybe slightly easier), but one coat won't last any longer than an expensive wax.

I haven't tried two coats of c2v3 to test durability.

I would go for gtechniq serum applied professionally (by a non-gtechniq-certified good detailer) - single stage machine polish if required. It's not difficult to use a DA polisher yourself if you wanted to buy a new toy and save a few quid.

The longevity of serum is amazing (as I'm sure you know). It speeds up the weekly wash of the p&j massively meaning less grief from the wife.

Andrew911 said:
So i guess my main questions are - is Liquid Crystal fairly easy to apply?
Or if I go down the wax route - which wax for best results? Is it worth paying a kings ransom for Swissvax?
I would go GTechniq every time as it is exceedingly long-lasting. Got C1 and EXO 3.5 years ago, and it is as good as new with only C2v3 top-ups after every wash.

As others have said, a corrective polish is recommended to get out the factory swirls/cork screwing on a new car. Unless you are experienced, best to get a professional to apply C1 Crystal and EXO (but not necessarily an authorised detailer as the costs are usually higher).

Crystal Serum is for professionals only, as if done wrong it will not come off!:sad:

I would go for the coatings.
Crystal serum light with Exov3 on top when the serum has cured (around 12hrs).

Apply the Csl to an area that you can comfortably coat and remove before it starts to go, I split a 997 bonnet into 4 sections as an example.

You must clean the paint of all contamination and wax etc and in an ideal world remove any scratches and swirl marks , once that's done applying the coatings is a breeze.

Oops just seen how old this thread is probably a bit late.😀

edge said:

:floor: never too late to talk cleaning products for our cars :grin: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
edge said:

:floor: never too late to talk cleaning products for our cars :grin: :thumb:
Absolutely :) Just a quick update. I have just received in the post Dodo Juice supernatural wax & their supernatural Micro Prime pre wax polish. Chickened out of doing Gtechniq myself but also just fancied doing wax this time. I'll let you know the results.

Out of interest why did you sell the 981 Spyder :dont know:

Andrew911 said:

Seeing as the thread is back from the dead, I would say that the expensive waxes are worth the effort.

I have tubs of Zymol Concours and Ital glaze which I've had for donkeys years. Still lots left and gives a finish like nothing else I've tried, very long lasting. The Zymol HD Cleanse is remarkable as well. Makes for a deep finish, brings out the colour. They are a genuine pleasure to use too, except your neighbours think you've gone bonkers as you massage the wax over cars paint with your bare hands...

I have used the Wolfgang Paint Sealant 3.0 on a meteor grey 911, gives good results and being a synthetic LSP lasts pretty well.

Apologies for a slight thread hijack, but can anyone recommend a detailer in the Oxford/Oxfordshire area who can apply GTecniq liquid crystal etc please? My GT4 has ppf across the usual places (not full body), so would like some advice as to what needs to used on which part (I wouldn't be applying it myself, just to add!) :lol:

Thanks folks!

I wanted to get my Black 997 protected and looked at a few different products and detailers, my main bugbear is chips and as we all know 911's seem to attract them like a magnet!
I went to a Gtech main agent and by the time he'd convinced me to go for a stage 1 polish then a stage 2 then the wheels then the serum etc etc the bill came to an eye watering £1500 so I politely declined!
Instead I got my bonnet and bumper done with PPF and then just did the rest of the car with a grade 3 swirl remover, found it easier to just apply and remove with micro fibre cloths as the polisher I borrowed was far to vicious so I put that away.
Once that was done I did it with Poorboys and then Poorboys Natty paste wax which was a doddle to put on and polish up.
Was in a shop yesterday and the manager was going into raptures about a new polish that Autoglym are doing, think it was called UDHT or something, he reckons it's the best results he's ever had with a car polish and stays clean for weeks, I took his word for it but didn't buy it!

Marky72 said:
Apologies for a slight thread hijack, but can anyone recommend a detailer in the Oxford/Oxfordshire area who can apply GTecniq liquid crystal etc please? My GT4 has ppf across the usual places (not full body), so would like some advice as to what needs to used on which part (I wouldn't be applying it myself, just to add!) :lol:

Thanks folks!
If you go on the Gtechniq web site you can do a dealer search for a Gtechniq approved detailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back