Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 16
997 : 2004- 72
996 : 1997-2005 48
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 3
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

RXP.
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: My 997 + Ohlins Review. Reply with quote

Hey,
I hope you guys are all doing well.

I thought I would introduce the car and give a mini review on these for anyone that may be thinking about going a similar route or just generally interested.

So as some of you may know I bought the car just over a month ago from a member on here, Jason. All around nice guy.

The car spec is C2S, Manual with factory short shift kit, Sports seats, Factory Sports Exhaust, Sport Chrono, Bose, Lobster claws and Sunroof full PSH. Overall condition is lovely.

I would say the factory PASM is a good suspension set up for daily road use, there is also the potential for improvement via the DSC box upgrade. (I have no experience of this , however I have heard reviews are good)
With my car on 70k and having no real knowledge of when or if the suspension had ever been refreshed I decided to to go for the Ohlins.

After calling around to get some prices for fitting and setting up I had quotes ranging from 1k to 1.5k plus vat. I guess you pay for the knowledge and experience but to me, that cash could have been better spent of mods and put towards a rainy day fund and having done a fair few suspension swaps on previous cars my destiny was calling...

The following was ordered:
Ohlins Road and Track POS MI20 (Design911)
Rear top mounts, washers, bolts (local OPC)
Front top mounts bearings (Germany)
Lower Front Control Arms (Local Motor Factor)
Front droplinks ( local Motor Factor)
15mm Spacers all four corners with Porsche OEM spec Bolts (Ebay)
Samco Hose resonator mod kit (Time Motorsport)
RSS Engine mounts and
Powerflex Gearbox inserts (Design911).

Design911 were excellent agreeing to price match and offered forum discounts too, as did my Local OPC 10% iirc.

Building up the suspension was actually fairly easy as the instructions included were excellent, along with measurements and pictures. At this point I wasn't quite sure what sort of height I would prefer. The factory recommend set up from Ohlins is 20mm drop, I wanted to keep the OEM rake as the steering feel would be retained. I opted for 26mm drop all around pre install (fully assembled ready to fit), with the intention to adjust the height should I wish to alter and fine tune.
Turns out it was pretty much spot on first time.

In terms of the install itself it was fairly straight forward once you are down there, however some bolts were, well, for the lack of a better word B***ards. However as with these kinda of things patience is key, a trip down to local Toolstation and my new friend Mr Rothenberger and his associate MAP gas lend a hand and the we cracked on.

The engine mounts and induction were super easy and straight forward to do, At this point i decided to follow Phil's advice and leave the Gearbox inserts for another time.

With the car back down on the ground, the visual impact was immediate. I am not saying it suddenly became a Snarling menacing beast of a car, it just looked exactly how it should have done from Factory, lowered, spaced and consistent rake. OEM+ then.

The car did have some Some smoked Depo rear lights fitted, I was toying with removing them during this install however, they have now grown on me and give the car a slightly more unique look. Marmite perhaps, but they are staying for now.

So with the visuals sorted it was now time to move on to the most important aspect the handling. I intend to do a fair few track days this year and so the set up needs to be dual purpose.

I decided to play around a bit on the damping spectrum after 500 miles I have settled for 8 from full stiff front and 10 from full stiff rear. With this set up the car is stiff, stiffer than OEM but by no means uncomfortable, very enjoyable and engaging actually.

The greatest benefit, if I had to sum it up in one word is confidence. Every rut, expansion joint etc is felt in a very communicative way, however the car never feels unsettled, in fact, my daily commute is country roads with lots of off camber turns with high and low speed bends with many bumps and uneven surfaces to unsettle a car, its here during these moments that you really get a sense of feel of what Ohlins is about, you hit these imperfections at speed and the car just tracks true, the steering will have the feedback of the road imperfection, you feel feel it through the seat too as the car rises and falls sharply however the expected lateral shift, that small yet perceptible shift in the cars trajectory, which can crawl into your mind and make you back off the throttle a tad. It doesn't come. Its just non existent, what expansion joint? the way the car soaks up these imperfections is simply astonishing.

Therefore what you have is immense confidence. You still drive with respect, but you relearn the cars strengths and weaknesses and drive around them. Almost any corner is flat and effortless, the traditional slow and fast out is still there but the goal post have moved on dramatically.

I opted for what I felt was a good compromise when it came to Geo,
Front:
-2 Camber
as close to zero toe with a touch toe in 0.01 both sides

Rear -2.2 camber
Slight toe in 0.12 both sides.

The plan is, is eventually for fit adjustable GT3 or RSS arms and the get the front camber to around 2.8- 3ish but for now i am very happy with this set up.

The car now feels like a tool, no, a precise driving instrument its so incredibly involving, In fact I have not put the Bose system on once. I just jump in let the car warm up and drive. The RSS engine mounts help make everything just feel super tight and solid and the induction adds to the sense of drama.

I feel its safe to say that a 997 with this set up in this day and age represents fantastic value for money.

I look forward to be being part of the forum and adding to the rich tapestry of content available.

Regards Shah.

Thefinn
Imola

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up mate glad you are loving the new car and set up you have chosen. It's looking good as well nice pics Thumb

The Finn's 997 4S progress thread take two

RXP.
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thefinn wrote:
Nice write up mate glad you are loving the new car and set up you have chosen. It's looking good as well nice pics Thumb

Thanks Finn, have the TechArts come?

APL911
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent review. Car looks beautiful.

I too am toying with some ohlins for my 996 c2, so I find this very interesting.

RXP.
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

APL911 wrote:

I too am toying with some ohlins for my 996 c2, so I find this very interesting.

Thanks bud, I had KW clubsports on my previous car E46 M3, they were excellent however I would say these are a level above.

Are you considering any other set ups?

APL911
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXP. wrote:
APL911 wrote:

Thanks bud, I had KW clubsports on my previous car E46 M3, they were excellent however I would say these are a level above.

Hi, I’m considering either bilstein b12 or b16. I think the ohlins sounds like a step up from what I’ve read. thumbsup

Thefinn
Imola

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXP. wrote:
Thefinn wrote:

Thanks Finn, have the TechArts come?

Not yet I am afraid I will chase them up next week, although I can't fit them until May due to OPC warranty so don't hold your breath for a review just yet

The Finn's 997 4S progress thread take two

APL911
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shah.

What’s the story with top mounts? Will oem top mounts work? Did you have to order different ones?..

Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great write up and review , really enjoyed reading that , Glad its now the car you wanted it to be , in the pics it looks a perfect height. Thumb
Now you have driven the car, I look foreward to hearing your thoughts when you fit the trans inserts and whether you find it just a step too far or whether the extra NVH is really noticable. or whether its worth living with v the wins they bring . Thumb At first I was at number 3 but over time I changed to 1 and removed them but they were on for over a year and 15,000 miles Thumb

DucatiRob
Barcelona

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up Thumb

Got to love Ohlins!
Ducati 996

rob_p
Imola

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up - a really interesting read.
I also have ohlins on my car and have been very happy with them albeit I don't think my backside is anything like as refined as yours.... (if you know what I mean!)
Ex Porsche Boxster 986
Ex Mazda MX5 mk1
Plus some other stuff that wasn't very interesting....

James M-S
Montreal

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. A good read.

Thumb

RXP.
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

APL911 wrote:
RXP. wrote:
APL911 wrote:

Hi, I’m considering either bilstein b12 or b16. I think the ohlins sounds like a step up from what I’ve read. thumbsup

The bilsteins are a great set up too, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I did hear the damptronics are excellent but there is somewhat of a backlog?

The Ohlins use standard OEM top mounts and drop links, if you go ahead then I would recommend removing your old suspension and keeping them built and ready.

You would then just purchase new rear top mounts, front top mounts, front mount bearings and 4x front retaining washers (cup style) and drop links.

RXP.
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_p wrote:
Nice write up - a really interesting read.
I also have ohlins on my car and have been very happy with them albeit I don't think my backside is anything like as refined as yours.... (if you know what I mean!)

Hey Rob, which settings are you running front and rear?

apollokre1d
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXP. wrote:
The bilsteins are a great set up too, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I did hear the damptronics are excellent but there is somewhat of a backlog?

I'd say so, I placed an order May 2017 and am still waiting Smile

ThomasG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shah,

my Öhlins is waiting to be installed. Nice writeup at the right time.

Do you have pictures of the fully assembled struts? I‘m not fully sure, which parts to keep at the rear axle. Mounting instructions are not 100% accurate. e.g. bearing is not shown at front axle. Therefore a picture would be helpfull.

Rear top mounts are very expensive and I didn‘t find an aftermarket source yet. Why did you change them? Worn out?

Front top mounts and bearings are available aftermarket and cheap. So will be replaced.

Control arms and drop links: Which manufacturer did you choose? I‘m thinking about Meyle.

All the other arms and stabilizer bushes didn‘t need replacement?

Thomas

RXP.
Silverstone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

So a bit of an update, who would have thought buying some parts could be such a hassle?

After much deliberating and many, many emails I pulled the trigger on a replica Aero front bumper.

It arrived 4 weeks later but sadly broken. like this....

Not having much luck at all with the seller. Whilst this is in the process of resolution I thought I would pull the trigger on an Aero kit rear wing.

Low and behold my luck... it arrived like this.

Cracks like this in 5 places which resulted in reduced structural integrity and quite a flimsy wing to be honest.

Luckily this seller was excellent in communication, not only did they have the courier pick up the wing the very next day. Once the replacement arrived in order to ensure it reached me in perfect condition he offered drive it down from Hertfordshire personally on a Sunday morning circa 3 hours round trip.

Top marks and outstanding customer service. After speaking with D911 I believe the wing is the exact same item sold by them.

In the meantime whilst having not much progress at all from the Sellers of the Front Bumper I had popped in to my local OPC to buy some pads, I was telling the chap at parts about what happened and he suggested I let him try and get me a quote for the Front Aero kit.

He called me next day and I was genuinly gobsmacked at how good the quote was. This included Front Aero bumper, lower lip, ducting for both sides plus fitting kit and number plates... and delivered to my house Next day.

Needless to say I paid straight over the phone and it has arrived in perfect condition, as you would expect from an OPC.

So now I have 1 damaged replica Aero front bumper and a lip, 1 lovely Aero rear wing and 1 x lovely gen front Aero kit.

whats missing? ..... The wheels I hear you say? ... well yes quite.

So after reading up about specs and and weight on what felt like a million different sets of wheels.

I decided to settle on a happy medium price wise and purchase these lightweight wheels.

They are made in Germany by an OEM manufacturerer and weigh just over 9 kilos for front and just over 10 kilos for the rears. These will be paired with PS2's 245 35 and 305 30's.

Another plus is, to me they look something close to a Porsche design so will not look too out of place, another example here in a different finish.

RXP.
Silverstone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice on fitting the Aero kit?

I am thinking to use the existing hardware. Fan, loom and peripherals etc...

Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXP. wrote:
Any advice on fitting the Aero kit?

I am thinking to use the existing hardware. Fan, loom and peripherals etc...

loom and bits should be ok but check the mounting holes for the fan my stock fan had 3 mounting holes and an attached light , the aero used an oe fan that had 4 mounting holes and no light as the light was now up by the lock on the lid , fan was about £80 . but have a look see if you have a space for an engine bay light on the lid and how many fan fixing holes this will denote whether you can use the stock fan or need the other OE type. Thumb Thumb

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: