Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 versus 996 grunt

Fed

Last year I swapped a 996.2 Cab for a 997.2 4S Cab, both manual, and something Phil997 referred to in another thread caught my interest - that the 996 is gruntier than the 997. I definitely feel this and was surprised to find that despite having some 60 extra ponies, the 997 doesn't pull as well low down as the 996.

On the motorway I used to be able to drop to 60-70mph in 6th and pull away strongly but the 997 is much more leisurely, at bit embarrassing against most diesel repmobiles. It's not a problem to change down but I'm just surprised at the comparison. The 997 definitely has more top end, although again not as much as I would have thought for the extra power.

Maybe it's down to gearing, weight or something else, but the well recognised dealer that sold me the 997 told me it had more pull throughout the rev range and it was just a matter of perception, but I would be interested to to hear other opinions as to seat of the pants feel.

I love the 997 and it feels completely different and more sophisticated than the 996, but the 996 had such a wonderfully tractable engine it shows what a great car it was (is).

The M96 3.6 unit in the 996 and 997 is renowned as being more driveable/revvier throughout the range than the 3.8 in the 997 'S' with the extra bhp of the 3.8 being most noticeable at the top end.

T8 said:
The M96 3.6 unit in the 996 and 997 is renowned as being more driveable/revvier throughout the range than the 3.8 in the 997 'S' with the extra bhp of the 3.8 being most noticeable at the top end.

OK thanks, I'm glad it's well-recognised and not something lacking in my particular example. It's still plenty fast enough for me, will just have to stir the stick a bit more :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back