Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011-2019 0
997 : 2004-2012 0
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 22
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Steve997
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Nurburgring Virgin Reply with quote

Looking for some advice on doing the Nurburgring ?

Relative novice behind the wheel so thinking an organised TD might be better than a busy public day.

Any advice , links recommendations, event organisers etc....??

All info welcome. Thanks

Jay.
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD are pretty expensive.

If you've not got any track experience then you'll be overwhelmed IMO, might be worth booking in to doing some UK tracks first to get a good feel of the car when driving aggressively.

If you're into video games, then learning the track by playing some Forza or GT will really benefit you - there's a lot of twisty corners and blind spots that you'll be forced to take carefully until you know the track.

IMO going down on a public day is fine, just expect that every car your facing can be driven by a novice or an expert, and there's literally no way of telling until they fly past you (hopefully in control)
AMG Flappy Paddles

1972 Datsun 240z
RB25DET
Devil Z

Follow me on Instagram! @rb.240z

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say novice behind the wheel I'm assuming you mean for track days and not that you're a reasonably new driver.

Either way I'd advise against doing the Nurburgring until you've got far more experience.

I've been lucky enough to get some laps as a passenger with experienced Ringsters on organised track days and there's absolutely no way a novice track driver should attempt to join in.

I've done several 'Tourist' laps and if you treat it like a very fast road it can be fun BUT the biggest problem is the number of other users (especially the locals) that are treating it like a full-on track session and don't give any regard to somebody who may not have even seen the place before.

There's loads of great tracks in the UK to cut your teeth on. I'd recommend Donington or the Snetterton 300 circuit for a newbie in a 911 and apparently Bedford is even better for a complete novice because of the extra run-off space.
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Steve997
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Novice behind the wheel might be misleading. I'm a newbie to performance driving but been doing bike track days for about 10 years so do have some experience just not all transferable.

Was thinking of some UK tution beofore hand.

Not sure if to go for a public day and all the associated mayhem or jump in at the deepish end on an organised TD with less cars and people who know what there doing,

RobIpswichUK
Watkins Glen

1994 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to echo what Terry (TCool said. In addition Blyton Park is a great novice circuit, and there's always the ealry evening slots at Brand Hatch Indy circuit, which always go down well, and difficult to get it badly wrong there - Certainly gets your confidence up.

All in all I would invest a few hundred of your well earned in a day with CATDT (site sponsor). Gave me far more confidence in my car's ability which still well exceeds my own, and allows you to push a bit more and get more out of a circuit day.
Range Rover Sport V8 (L320 chipped)
TT Roadster (standard - wife’s daily!)
W211 E320CDI Barge (must not forget - NEED TO SELL!)
E91 320d SE Touring (must not forget - NEED TO SELL!)

TheCock
Kyalami

1996 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I’ve done the ring in my 993. I went with Sundeep and a few others from here on a TF day and that was the best solution. To be honest I’ve done track days and by comparison it was terrifying, i think 3/4 of the corners are blind, there were cars and bikes off around the circuit, the track dips in some bad ways and someone died the weekend I was there. I’m not scared of driving fast and will be competitively racing 2019/20, so I’m suggesting caution!!

As has been said there will be extreme differences in ability, experience and car speed, and it’s a long lap requiring 100% attention. Because the corners are blind you don’t know what you’re going to meet (with cars crashing or breaking) making it a bit of a lottery.

I insured my car when I went and although everyone said the same when I drilled into it I was in the minority, in fact I met one other person with specific insurance when I went out.

It was a fantastic experience but I’ve done it and would go and watch but the odds are too dangerous for me to drive it again. I would recommend doing it but with your eyes wide open! So my advice is smash some UK tracks and if you can go with some experienced Ring drivers, get some pax laps with them and drive well within your (and your cars) ability!

TheCock
Kyalami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and if Sundeep is doing a trip you should go with him, the man is unbelievable around the Ring, being quicker than an M5 Ring Taxi when driving a 1 series diesel probably says it all!

Longers
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how you want to approach it but nothing can prepare you for the Nurburgring, it's mind blowing!

If you want to join a full trackday there then I think LOTS of track time in the UK before you go is vital. However if you only want to experience the place then join a mid-week public session (from 5pm for 2 hours, much quieter than the weekends) and follow Terry's advice...

T8 wrote:
... if you treat it like a very fast road it can be fun

And it helps if you take someone with you so they can keep an eye on your wing mirror while you try and work out where the tarmac in front of you goes!

Take your time and enjoy it. Aiming to set a fast time too soon is when things usually go wrong Wink

fasttracktours.co.uk

Cunno
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you do any public days check your insurance most do not cover the ring on public days! There were rumours about this changing but not read anything conclusive yet.

Be careful of anyone who tells you the risks are minimal and just drive within your ability, you are probably the lowest risk in the equation it’s all the other around you. At the end of the day the ring is a public road and insurance is mandatory it even say so on the barrier as you enter Very Happy
Ex: 2001 2.7 Porsche Boxster (Seal Grey)

Disco
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent4Ring, RentRacecar and RSR Nurburg are the main track rental places out there and you should talk to one of those and rent their cheapest option (Suzuki Swift, Ford Fiesta or Renault Clio - I assure you : if you are new to the place it is more than enough, and they aren't anything like stock either) rather than risking your own car on your first experience as far as I am concerned. Also - go out at an unfashionable time of year (avoid bank holidays, especially Easter), ideally mid week (and be sure to check on opening times first).

Why not start with a track day? Well, basically because then you will be sharing the circuit with some very committed drivers, many in barely road-legal track cars, some on slicks and a selection of actual racing cars up to full fat SP9 GT3 cars on fresh racing rubber rather than just lunatic locals in stripped out Golfs and 3 Series. Plus of course because the cost of track days (and insurance while on them) has somewhat shot up over the last 2-3 years.

I'd done over 50 laps in rentals before I started taking my GT3 and still recommend it as the best option to start with unless you have serous circuit experience in your car.

Black 997 GT3 3.8 CS - Acquired for the 2012 season and beyond
Black 996 GT3 Mk2 - Gone, but will never be forgotten

Longers
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco wrote:
...(and be sure to check on opening times first)...

https://www.greenhelldriving.nuerburgring.de/#/landing Wink

fasttracktours.co.uk

Steve997
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks some great advice which is well recieved.

Naively thought a TD might be safer as.quiter with less cars and less idiots but understand it's jumping in at the deep end now.

Will look into some cheap car hires and public days.

Really appreciate the advice. Cheers all

Porsche News
Motoring Editor
Motoring Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Nurburgring Virgin Reply with quote

Steve997 wrote:
Looking for some advice on doing the Nurburgring ?

Relative novice behind the wheel so thinking an organised TD might be better than a busy public day.

Any advice , links recommendations, event organisers etc....??

All info welcome. Thanks

Read our Circuit Guide to the Nurburgring

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=31429

FOLLOW 911UK ON TWITTER

Steve997
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do thanks.

Thinking of booking on the Porsche experience at Silverstone for a half day of driver training

TheCock
Kyalami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve997 wrote:
Will do thanks.

Thinking of booking on the Porsche experience at Silverstone for a half day of driver training

I did a day with CAT Driver Training and it was amazing, I was lucky to get Colin, the mans a legend. The nice thing about the day I attended was you did a mix of ‘real world’ Driving and high speed stuff on the bowl. Amazing day and gave confidence in your own ability. I did a group day with some like minded bods from here. I’d do it again with my 997 in fact.

FRP
Albert Park

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am up for a bedford or another CATD training session if there is other interest and we can get the numbers to ensure like minded guys adn cars ?

NXI20
Paul Ricard

2004 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add that public days have become enormously frustrating in recent years - the full days anyway. They are rammed and the number of stoppages for accident recovery / barrier repair can limit track time significantly. I've heard of folks going for a w/e and managing a mere handful of laps. That's an expensive waste of time in my book. Contrast that with trackdays at the ring, of which I've done around 20-odd, where stoppages are rare (fewer cars, better standard of driving). I did 2 single day events there last year where I did over 20 laps on each day - there is almost zero chance of that on a public day.

2004 GT3 CS in Atlas Grey with too many mods to list!
1995 993 GT2 recreation in Polar Silver
2010 GT3 CS in Riviera Blue Smile
1978 Carrera SC in Red (for sale)

911UK
Porsche Community
Porsche Community

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this as a slower lap which is roughly the right lines, it's in bog standard 135hp Abarth 500, still does a solid BTG lap

note, video is from 2011 and there have been some surface and run off changes since then, so the better

Open Youtube Page

FOLLOW 911UK ON TWITTER

Disco
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NXI20 wrote:
Just to add that public days have become enormously frustrating in recent years - the full days anyway.

Exactly, but it has always been primarily a weekend phenomenon (weekends in this context being Friday morning to lunchtime on Sunday), which is why I recommend people to go for midweek spots in unfashionable times of year. Don't even discount those late afternoon sessions if you will be staying in the area for a few days. It can be rolling the dice on weather, but that is when you are going to have the least traffic and indeed the slowest traffic. Which for a first trip is much less intimidating than a track day or a weekend of anarchy. And if it is open a full 4 day Fri-Mon long weekend : the Monday is the only day that you want to be on the track. Maybe from mid afternoon Sunday too, but ignore the rest.

Additional tip : it always used to be good to be there when the gates open for TF as it is surprising how few people are there first thing.

But as I briefly touched on earlier : do not even dream about being in the area on Good Friday/Easter Saturday. It is total anarchy for the 15 minute stints between closures for accidents and the normal roads end up paralysed for miles around as the traffic stacks up everywhere. (IIRC the record for Good Friday stands at something like 4 minutes from first opening to the first circuit closure). nooo

Black 997 GT3 3.8 CS - Acquired for the 2012 season and beyond
Black 996 GT3 Mk2 - Gone, but will never be forgotten

angry
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve997 wrote:
Thanks some great advice which is well recieved.

Naively thought a TD might be safer as.quiter with less cars and less idiots but understand it's jumping in at the deep end now.

Will look into some cheap car hires and public days.

Really appreciate the advice. Cheers all

Surprised to see people saying that a trackday would be inappropriate!

Ive been lapping the Ring for 18 years and have started doing Trackdays for the last 3 years with either https://circuit-days.co.uk/track-days-schedule-nurburgring or http://www.destination-nurburgring.com

Its far safer, easier and more fun than public days.
Most drivers are wiser, sympathetic and aware than on TF.
There are far less crashes.
Far less cars on track.
And if you work it out financially its better value once you have completed a certain amount of laps.
The quick drivers keep out of your way if they are aware you are a lot slower.

Both the above companies have a strict track etiquette rules.

Id say its a no brainer.

BTW im TD there in May and Oct if you would like some experienced guidance
Thumb

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: