Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water pump failing

Andyvvc

Nurburgring
Car in for MOT this morning. I asked Mike at Zentrum to sit in the passenger seat when i started the car because i've been getting increasingly paranoid about a muffled "hair-dryer" fan type noise from the rear of the car. Most audible (to me) when sat in the car with engine running.

Turns out this 'noise' is probably the water pump dying lol

I have to confess i assumed water pump-death was usually a squealing noise, not a fan-like noise. (Or an instant "27 litres of coolant on the rear wheels" type of event).

I've no idea what these cost - it'll be a new OEM part plus labour. And from what i can gather the Turbo is a bit more of a pig to get at the pump than a normal 996 doh!

At least the MOT doesn't expire until the end of the moth - time to get it fixed before hand i hope :puh:

Water pump has no relevance to the MOT so it can't fail for it.

I paid £800 to have mine done a few years ago. Most of it was labour IIRC. At an independent rather than main dealer tho.

:eek:

alex yates said:
Water pump has no relevance to the MOT so it can't fail for it.

If the pump fails totally on the way to the MOT . . . i guess that will be classed as a fail at the test centre if coolant is leaking out all over the place? :grin:

Cheers for the costs Chris! I don't suppose you have had a pump replaced have you Alex? Pricey thing to get done?

Local mobile mechanic has quoted me £112.50 (2.5hrs labour) to replace the pump and thermostat (I'm supplying parts), but mine is not a turbo...

infrasilver said:
Does the turbo have a secondary air pump, I have heard this fan noise when the pipe has popped off?

Yeah - it's located above the engine on the rh side of the throttle body. Deffo worth checking that.

wasz said:
chriscoates81 said:
I paid £800 to have mine done a few years ago. Most of it was labour IIRC. At an independent rather than main dealer tho.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Did the bolts snap and need drilling out or something?!

Probably the usual - "it's an engine out job sir".

alex yates said:
infrasilver said:
Does the turbo have a secondary air pump, I have heard this fan noise when the pipe has popped off?

Yeah - it's located above the engine on the rh side of the throttle body. Deffo worth checking that.

Thanks guys! Aux air pump was also mentioned by my Indy. Which is cheapest? Do i need to cross my fingers for the air pump? :thumb:

chriscoates81 said:

How much? :eek:

Mine was under £150 labour on a C2, is the Turbo water pump that much longer to get at?

Fast Bug said:
chriscoates81 said:

How much? :eek:

Mine was under £150 labour on a C2, is the Turbo water pump that much longer to get at?

I was wondering that myself. Both OPC and my Indy have said that the Turbo pump is harder to get to. Although no one actually said why. I presume there's some extra gubbins related to the Mezger-based engine/ancilliaries that need to be removed that are not on the M96 engine? (I also presume that after 14 years, if any of these extra bits have seized bolts it might take a lot longer to get to the water pump) :frustrated:

Andyvvc said:
alex yates said:
infrasilver said:

Thanks guys! Aux air pump was also mentioned by my Indy. Which is cheapest? Do i need to cross my fingers for the air pump? :thumb:

No one mentioned your air pump being at fault, just the push on pipe coming off it. It takes about 5 seconds to push it back on and is free of charge to do so. If your secondary air pump was at fault, it would make a whistling noise for the first 2 minutes when starting the car cold and then switch off. It does not run all the time, so if this noise is present all the time, the air pump is fine.

But as infrasilver said - the pipe may have come off - which means this noise would be evident whilst the engine is running. Just pop the hood and have a look at the rubber pipe work attached to it.

The pump is here:

post-29683-1246795334.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back