Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Power trigger for Bose amp after PCM replacement?

petes

Hi

I'm going to replace my PCM2.1 (997.1 Turbo) with a Pioneer AVIC. Planning to use the connects2 interface to keep the wiring simple as I have Bose/MOST and steering wheel interface.

Question is - I know that the ASK amp (non-Bose) needs a power trigger from the electric aerial output to trigger it on. Does the Bose need this as well, or does it just pickup from the fibre through the conenct2 adapter?

Also, does the connects2 adapter provide power, or do you need to splice power from somewhere - I assume it provides power now, but older threads suggest needing to run separate power.

Other than that - all looks quite straight forwards. Goung to run the DAB and GPS aerials to the front under the plastic with the windscreen wipers, and run the USB cable for the 'phone probably just to the globe box as there isn't really room in the centre console where I was planning to put it - phone's are just too big these days ...

thanks

pete S

When you get the connect2 it should have the cabling to activate the amp AFAIK, I have NavTV which has everything there, all Plug and play but also will need some other wiring into the loom also, I would recommend the NAVTV rather than the Chinese Connect2, just that I heard the sound quality is not all that and also the quality of the unit.... NavTV is pricey but the sound quality is clarity and if any problems there is a UK based support cos NavTV is American built devices and they never go wrong when asked the technicians at NavTV before parting with my hard earned... :thumbs:

Cheers

J

-- 997 -- said:
When you get the connect2 it should have the cabling to activate the amp AFAIK, I have NavTV which has everything there, all Plug and play but also will need some other wiring into the loom also, I would recommend the NAVTV rather than the Chinese Connect2, just that I heard the sound quality is not all that and also the quality of the unit.... NavTV is pricey but the sound quality is clarity and if any problems there is a UK based support cos NavTV is American built devices and they never go wrong when asked the technicians at NavTV before parting with my hard earned... :thumbs:

Cheers

J

Thanks. On the Connect vs Nav.TV, it's not the price that's the challenge (in the total cost, it's another £70 or so ). The problem is that their steering wheel interface only support Kenwood and Alpine, not Pioneer. It's a bit ironic since the picture on the website is actually of a pioneer....

petes said:
-- 997 -- said:

Cheers

J

Thanks. On the Connect vs Nav.TV, it's not the price that's the challenge (in the total cost, it's another £70 or so ). The problem is that their steering wheel interface only support Kenwood and Alpine, not Pioneer. It's a bit ironic since the picture on the website is actually of a pioneer....

Did you contact the technicians at NavTV and explain your query regarding you pioneer setup etc?

Cheers

J

-- 997 -- said:
petes said:
-- 997 -- said:

Cheers

J

Did you contact the technicians at NavTV and explain your query regarding you pioneer setup etc?

Cheers

J

Yes, and sadly it's still the same. They don't support SW interface on anything other than Alpine and Kenwood. He did point out that I could use the headunit without the steering wheel controls, but that's kinda missing the point ...

petes said:
-- 997 -- said:
petes said:
-- 997 -- said:

Cheers

J

Cheers

J

Yes, and sadly it's still the same. They don't support SW interface on anything other than Alpine and Kenwood. He did point out that I could use the headunit without the steering wheel controls, but that's kinda missing the point ...

Aaahhh I see, I guess connect2 will have to be then!, did you find out if the connect2 supports the steering wheel controls? If so then it's best bet, fitting the MOST is easy, nothing to it, you will need to tap Into the wire from the module which will activate the amp to work, once it's done then your sorted :thumb: any problems then PM me and I can guide you etc...

J

My Pioneer and steering wheel controls use a Connects2 lead. Had to add the connection for the amp power on, though I do not have Bose.

In talking to Tore about my amp repair, seems that pin 11 is the one you need to connect for power on, as that's one thing he got me to check in case that was the problem instead of a knackered amp.....

resigner said:
My Pioneer and steering wheel controls use a Connects2 lead. Had to add the connection for the amp power on, though I do not have Bose.

In talking to Tore about my amp repair, seems that pin 11 is the one you need to connect for power on, as that's one thing he got me to check in case that was the problem instead of a knackered amp.....

Yes, from reading you certainly need to connect the trigger for the non-Bose amps - wasn't sure if the same applied for Bose. The connects2 seems to support SW controls for pretty much everything, although the degree of support does vary (e.g. only some hu's support the pickup/hangup phone buttons apparently).

How do you find the sound quality with the connects2? Some chat about alertnator hum/crackling etc.. Any problems?

petes said:
resigner said:

Yes, from reading you certainly need to connect the trigger for the non-Bose amps - wasn't sure if the same applied for Bose. The connects2 seems to support SW controls for pretty much everything, although the degree of support does vary (e.g. only some hu's support the pickup/hangup phone buttons apparently).

How do you find the sound quality with the connects2? Some chat about alertnator hum/crackling etc.. Any problems?

Sound is perfect. I did have to go through 3 connects2 leads before they got it right. There are so many subtle differences and versions of cars that its not one lead works for all, but Connects2 did sort it out after a few tries.

The speakers are actually pretty good, with the 8" woofers in the doors (Bose has 6" in the doors) being good. The problem is they are pretty much all underpowered. A new amp is a good idea, but also a head unit which has more power also helps a lot.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back