Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Intercooler upgrade 997.1 turbo

tgdesign

Hi Guys

Looking what make of intercoolers are the best upgrade as there are a few to chose from.
Some more ££££ than others.

GT2RS
Do88
Wagner
Alpha
Forge
sharkwerks.
others

:?:

I am looking at doing some measurements on intercooler performance. I would be very interested in seeing actual performance figures on any of these if you find them.

MC

I upgraded to OEM GT2RS intercoolers. My car has had a power upgrade as well and they are just fine. And I think they cost £1700-1800

isysman said:
I upgraded to OEM GT2RS intercoolers. My car has had a power upgrade as well and they are just fine. And I think they cost £1700-1800

I thought they were massively less than that. I have a bunch of data on intake temperatures when running these on repeated 0-70mph runs and also on some higher speed stuff if anybody is interested.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I thought they were massively less than that. I have a bunch of data on intake temperatures when running these on repeated 0-70mph runs and also on some higher speed stuff if anybody is interested.

MC

I'm interested, curious to know at what point they stop working optimally.

Cheers

apollokre1d said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

I'm interested, curious to know at what point they stop working optimally.

Cheers

+1 :thumbs:

Here are a couple of shots of some data. The first one is from a few laps of Bruntingthorpe, not trying all that hard, but higher speeds than you would see in road driving. Note that speeds are in km/h for the first and mph for the second.

The second is from the a series of 15 back-to-back tests of accelerating to around 70mph and then stopping on the ABS.

You will see that the temperatures rise a lot more in the first part of the test and then drop after halfway. This test was done with a tail wind to start with, turning around half way through. The intercoolers are basically not getting as much airflow in the first half of the tests.

You can see a video of the second of these tests here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlapdLVEteI

MC

MisterCorn said:
Here are a couple of shots of some data. The first one is from a few laps of Bruntingthorpe, not trying all that hard, but higher speeds than you would see in road driving. Note that speeds are in km/h for the first and mph for the second.

The second is from the a series of 15 back-to-back tests of accelerating to around 70mph and then stopping on the ABS.

You will see that the temperatures rise a lot more in the first part of the test and then drop after halfway. This test was done with a tail wind to start with, turning around half way through. The intercoolers are basically not getting as much airflow in the first half of the tests.

You can see a video of the second of these tests here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlapdLVEteI

MC

Thats pretty interesting. Again like you I was looking at various intercoolers. Unfortunately its hard to find unbiased opinions. The gt2rs intercoolers appear to be the best point between cost and performance up to certain power levels. If you find the OEM manufacturer of the gt2rs intercoolers its even cheaper. I have a feeling some of the other intercoolers would be heavier too.

Thanks for sharing, on the video I found it really interesting how the intercooler temps consistently go up and down depending on wind direction.

MisterCorn said:
isysman said:

MC

Not sure. Maybe mine was a fitted price.

I may be looking to sell a pair if GT2RS intercoolers in the next few weeks... msg me if interested :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back