Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thorax Ground Issue, Seat Removal and Buckle Replacement

Tuizner

For a while now I have had an intermittent airbag light. OBD showed it to be a Thorax Ground Issue. I searched the 'net but couldn't find a good write up so hopefully this may help others with similar issues.

I found that wiggling the electric cable from the seat buckle to the seat would make the issue go away for a few days then it would return. There is a metal clip that crimps the cable at the back of the seat which may be the issue.

My Solution has been to Replace the Buckle and cable [997 803 183 01].

This write up also shows you how to remove a 997.1 seat.

Thorax light = airbag light:

yAc54S3.jpg

Steps (20)
1 – move the seat back so you can access the bolts holding the seat to the car

RlrG3XX.jpg

2 – lift up the tabs in the centre of the plastic covers at the seat front

pY0Ofzs.jpg

3 – E12 headed bolts
o9bc2Cs.jpg

4 – remove 2 at front
GZXAAd3.jpg

5 – move seat forwards to access rear bolts and remove those too.
vaE73RS.jpg

6 – seat is now free to move – lift up the front
hFKAdJR.jpg

7 – to access the cables. Take off the front connector.
gM0kqPZ.jpg

8 –unscrew the two crosshead screws and remove the box at the front. It is still attached by other cables – these can stay – you are just trying to ease access to the yellow connector underneath. Note the path of the cables so that you can reinstall later without pinching between the plastic box here and the seat frame (they go behind and through one of the seat frames but not pictured..
YpdudzV.jpg

9 – flip out the black doodah at the side which releases the connector and pull the two yellow pieces apart.
gVhSW97.jpg

10- you can now remove the seat
GTu9gNk.jpg

11 – placing your seat carefully on a bin you can now access the innards
e3r8tKF.jpg

12 – need to trace the cable from the buckle to the yellow connector and remove the zip ties along the way
yA3YRQ7.jpg

13 – goes through here
QELitmL.jpg

14 – and into here
EqefaDJ.jpg

15 – remove the yellow connector by squeezing in the 4 tabs and gently pulling the connector
nczyCQN.jpg

16 – you can then remove the seat cable by releasing the tabs and pulling the grey connector to the side.
iLXSHQx.jpg

17 – Now take the buckle off the seat – 17mm
jPnCi8f.jpg

18 – attach the new buckle and thread the new cable – will need to replace any zip ties that had to be snipped to take out the old cable. Replace the connectors and all the screws and boxes under the seat. Note – the main cable between car and seat needs to go behind the seat frame here to avoid crimping when you screw the plastic box back on. Can now reinstall the seat with the 4 bolts.
2fDAx7C.jpg

19 – When all done you will need to clear your codes on POSIP (autel md702 here)
Q7fvs3C.jpg

20 – and if you are lucky the Thorax airbag light has gone!
4nSSNqn.jpg

Nice one. It's always well received by a forum when a member takes the time and effort to make a 'how to" thread. I've done it on other forums with previous cars (350Z/M3/etc) and fully intend to continue the trend when I get my 911.

Seconded. Nice work and thanks for taking the time to post.

Thanks

Short Shift change coming next... Job done but awaiting time to post the How To..

Thanks Tuizner!

Have been looking for a write up to help with this very issue!

Quick question, where did you buy the part from (I've tried googling the part number but not getting any hits in UK), also does the cable come with the buckle or was that a separate part number

Thanks again

Great 'how-to' :thumb:

Thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back