Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

check them tyre pressures !

pancobalt

Spa-Francorchamps
Was driving last thursday night and something did not feel right. I could feel every small bump , crack and pothole through the steering wheel.

no pasm warning messages, suspension set to granny mode not sport. Scratching my head i got paranoid about needing new top mounts, wish bones , tie rods. Etc etc.

Did not sleep well that night. Anyway woke up this morning itching for my sunday blat and decided to check the obvious first - tyre pressures. My 19 inch classic alloy should be 34psi front and 40 psi rear unladen.

to my horror fronts were 15 and 20 and rears were both at 30 only.

Quick session with the foot pump and all is well again. Went for my usual 15 mile blat around and car handled perfectly.

So check them pressures please....

Mine were down 4psi and it felt broken. I can't imagine how bad it felt that low

Wow! When was the last time you checked them. Mine wouldn't drop that low if I left them for 2 years.

Shameful i know , the last time i checked them was last july , after its annual service

pancobalt said:
Shameful i know , the last time i checked them was last july , after its annual service[/quote

When I first started driving , many years ago, I was advised by the chaps in my family that there were basic checks to be carried out WITHOUT fail every weekend ....
Oil level
Coolant level
Tyre pressures all round ....
Washer bottle

Good practice , I believe .....this is like the old 'information films ' that used to be on TV when I was a nipper .....you don't forget , it's a bit like 'brainwashing".......

I Still do these checks almost every week...........

A mate had opposite issue yesterday...
TPMS warning light on .... Goes to a garage where someone (don't ask me why he didn't do himself!) Inflates all 4 tyres...

He calls me and says , car not driving right...

I use my accurate pocket gauge.... Every tyre between 45 and 50 psi :eek:

Cup tyres + 6c + 550bhp .... :dont know: :frustrated:

We are both confused as to how the person could do it ,faulty gauge at garage ? bizarre!

pancobalt said:
Shameful i know , the last time i checked them was last july , after its annual service

Even without any air loss the difference in pressure between a hot July day and a cold winter one will be at least 5psi. But - even allowing for that - yours dropped a lot in 6 months.

I use TPMS to inflate my tyres. I was led to believe these are accurate. Or do I need to check against a pressure gauge, :?:

Get yourself a small gauge , fill tyres cross check it against the gauge
I have found that I prefer using the lbs/ ft reading as the bar settings are in .1 increments , don't allow decent accuracy ....

Weekly habit is best practice to develop.....

I don't do it as often as I should, probably every 3 weeks, but I can tell they need adjusting when I put PASM on its hard setting and it's either bearable or completely shakes my teeth out :grin:

Amazing what a difference changes in outside temps make

I was brought up to do POWER checks at least once a week and before any long journey;

P = Petrol
O = Oil
W = Water
E = Electrics
R = Rubber (= tyres)

I have PTPMS, but always set the tyre pressures using a decent gauge, which I use across all my cars and bike.

gazbo666 said:
I use TPMS to inflate my tyres. I was led to believe these are accurate. Or do I need to check against a pressure gauge, :?:

TPMS is in my experience surprisingly accurate, but I still use a separate tyre gauge when I reset my pressures just to be sure.

911TEL said:
I have found that I prefer using the lbs/ ft reading as the bar settings are in .1 increments , don't allow decent accuracy ....

I had in my mind that if the TPMS says 36,5 now. Then if I didn't drive it for a month, When i got back in the car and the TPMS was still showig 36.5 the tyres haven't lost any pressure.

All my tyres hold pressure acoording to the TPMS ( saying that I don't check them against another tyre pressure gage) so are they holding the pressures or are the sensors that inaccurate . I know they are really only to let you no if one your tyres are loosing air quickly as a safety feature.

gazbo666 said:
911TEL said:

I had in my mind that if the TPMS says 36,5 now. Then if I didn't drive it for a month, When i got back in the car and the TPMS was still showig 36.5 the tyres haven't lost any pressure.

All my tyres hold pressure acoording to the TPMS ( saying that I don't check them against another tyre pressure gage) so are they holding the pressures or are the sensors that inaccurate . I know they are really only to let you no if one your tyres are loosing air quickly as a safety feature.

You really have to check them against a gauge to have confidence ... if they read the same you can thereafter trust your TPMS ....
If no pressure loss then that's a good sign ...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back