Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bleeding and burping

Griffter

Hi All, quick question on the final stage of bleeding the cooling system.

I've changed the rads and all appears good and leak free. I've got most of the air out of the cooling system, and most of the coolant back in, using the bleed valve, rev, check and top up routine. I'm confident there's 'enough' coolant in there, but I guess there may still be some air to burp out.

So the question is this. Do I drive to the Salisbury meet tomorrow with the coolant bleed valve open or closed? It'll be nearly 100 miles each way for me, mostly motorway and A roads.

Thanks.

If the level in the header tank is constant when the engine is at 75 deg or so with thermostat open to the front rads then the job is essentially done and I'd leave it closed and drive as normal but check after your trip.

I've noticed the centre portion of my bleed valve opens anyway when the engine is upto temp so it may burp naturally to some degree. :thumb:

Cool thanks, sounds good. The level is constant and I've cycled the fans three times.
I am now confident I've put back more or less exactly the amount I drained, so valve closed it is.

Based on my experience I'd take some top up coolant with me.

Twice now I've drained and refilled my turbo. Once with the rear high up (as I'd changed the water pump & still had the exhaust off) but each time I found after a drive it needed a couple of litres. Then it was fine, needing no further top up.

See you in Salisbury.

Cheers,

Pickse said:
Based on my experience I'd take some top up coolant with me.

Twice now I've drained and refilled my turbo. Once with the rear high up (as I'd changed the water pump & still had the exhaust off) but each time I found after a drive it needed a couple of litres. Then it was fine, needing no further top up.

See you in Salisbury.

Cheers,

Thanks! Hopefully I won't be the guy who arrives in a cloud of steam...

It may take a couple of runs out to fully bleed the system so just carry some coolant around with you, check it each time you stop and have let the engine cool down sufficiently, leave the bleed valve up until you no longer need to top up.

The bleeder valve will automatically open anyway when the car gets warm so it doesn't really matter if you leave it open or not. It's not like it's open to atmosphere - it's a sealed pressurised system.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back