Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

L.e.d Interior lighting

paul987

Has anyone done this :?: I've seen a few kits on Ebay... I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile upgrade :dont know:

I did it and bought the bits on Ali-Express. Its in the "what did you do to your 996 today" thread from earlier last year.

Cost stuff all compared to kits and I'm very pleased with the results, makes he inside seem a little more modern and clean. Since then have done the Mini and Merc and a couple of other cars for friends.

There is no can-bus monitoring of the interior lights either, so can bus bulbs not needed.

Paul, make sure you buy the error free ones mate not sure if they are needed but I used them, I have done the 997
the footwell ones can be a bit of a pain to get out but it is a quite easy job and makes the inside look much brighter with the yellow light gone.

Attachments

• img_2338_240.jpg
    img_2338_240.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 8,976
  • img_2337_741.jpg
    img_2337_741.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 8,976
I did it with Ebay sourced bulbs, straightforward, cheap and a great improvement. However beware, the LED bulbs tend to be rather larger in diameter and the first bulbs I bought would not fit in the door lights, you need a max diameter of 10mm and even then, they are a snug fit.

The frunk, engine compartment, centre interior and number plate use 2 different lengths of festoon bulbs (can't remember which is which). The glovebox (facelift model) is a different size again, I didn't replace it.

In all cases, I bought 'canbus' bulbs with built in resistors, not sure if that was required but I decided to play safe.

The end result is much brighter and whiter lights, the old lights seem very dull in comparison.

I have thought about changing the dash lights but I quite light the dimmer yellower lights there.

I cant help very much but just to add i recently had to remove LED,s as the customer wanted standard bulbs .. i found that the door panel LED,s had melted the light units ..

I assume as already said that you can get ones that are too large and these did indeed seem to fit too close to the light unit ..

I had also assumed that LED,s dont get hot .. obviously i was wrong as they do .

I much prefer the subdued original lighting to modern LED lighting.

paul987 said:
Thanks for the replies fellas :thumb:

Yo_Clarkie.... so no need for canbus ones?

Phil... cheers for the pictures... they look great :bandit:

Maldren... thanks for the heads up on the physical size of the bulbs.

Now how do I tell if there error free ones :?:

Are these any good?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-996-997-Xenon-White-LED-Interior-Lights-Bulbs-Kit-/261304339540

Paul, cant see the bulbs to be sure but the ad reads like they are the correct ones, To be honest I went to my local motor bits store and just kept going in and out finding the correct sizes as Maldren said they are an assortment of sizes and thicknesses , get the numberplate bulbs done while you are at it. :thumb: :thumb:

Also fitted LED interior bulbs recently, personally i really like the cleaner look.
I did find the central overhead ones a tight fit.
Anyone managed to find the correct bulbs for the vanity mirrors in the shades, and if so where did they find them?

Cheers Guys

Demort said:
I cant help very much but just to add i recently had to remove LED,s as the customer wanted standard bulbs .. i found that the door panel LED,s had melted the light units ..

I assume as already said that you can get ones that are too large and these did indeed seem to fit too close to the light unit ..

I had also assumed that LED,s dont get hot .. obviously i was wrong as they do .

Blimey that's a good tip I would never have thought of the heat aspect... :eek:

Phil 997 said:
paul987 said:

Are these any good?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-996-997-Xenon-White-LED-Interior-Lights-Bulbs-Kit-/261304339540

Paul, cant see the bulbs to be sure but the ad reads like they are the correct ones, To be honest I went to my local motor bits store and just kept going in and out finding the correct sizes as Maldren said they are an assortment of sizes and thicknesses , get the numberplate bulbs done while you are at it. :thumb: :thumb:

I ordered those ones... I decided my own personal thickness :? Could result in me getting a assortment of wrong sizes.... :lol:

Plus given what Demort said I've chosen the easy option

paul987 said:
Phil 997 said:
paul987 said:

Are these any good?

I ordered those ones... I decided my own personal thickness :? Could result in me getting a assortment of wrong sizes.... :lol:

Plus given what Demort said I've chosen the easy option

Paul, let us know how you get on mate :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back