Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warranty Surprise - (a good one!) - Coolant Hose

v8fettler

Silverstone
My 997.2 Turbo overheated whilst out delivering Christmas gifts.

After waiting over 3 hours for Recovery from my Bank Partnered recovery (RAC), I lost my rag and called Leeds Porsche to see if they had someone they could recommend to pick it up, and id argue the cost with the RAC/Bank later (I was only 4 miles away)

James (who was very helpful in the first stages of my Porsche buying process) advised me that I should have Porsche Assist, as I had the Two Year Warranty. I'd always thought it was an extra?

Within 20 minutes, a flatbed recovery truck was with me to take me home, then the car to overnight storage to be delivered to Leeds when they re-opened the next day, Bloody Marvellous!!

They found a leak on the front coolant pipe elbows under the front wheel arch. After receiving the video by email, showing my car puking its coolant out, I thought I was in for a big bill, assuming as always that there'd be a fight over whether it was a warrantable item or not.

Massive surprise to find out that I was covered, and that they had already ordered parts, and would crack on with haste!

So, for those wondering about the two-year warranty with approved used, or those looking to buy it themselves, or even extending a warranty, I was very impressed not to have the usual arguments with the warranty department. It's probably already paid for itself (even though it came in the deal).

They've also recommended changing some nuts that are corroded. Is this the new 'Wipers' gag?? or a worthy bit of maintenance? Quoted near enough £700 just to swap out some rusty nuts! I would've thought they'd have been stainless anyway on a car like this?

I'll be sending the video to the indys, see what they say. The flanges look OK, so I don't fancy ignoring the nuts which then rot the flanges.

Oh, and they gave me an E-Class smoker to use over Christmas whilst they fixed it, dropped it off at my home, and I left it at the OPC. Brilliant!

Thumbs up to Leeds OPC and Porsche Warranty so far! :yahoo:

Scholester said:
Great news that you have been looked after.

See this thread for rusty nots and bolts discussion.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=123755

Ah yes, I found this straight after posting! Some good suggestions, and as the stainless Headers seem relatively cheap, might be worth doing at the same time while the arse of the car is off.

Are there any more reputable stainless headers though? I'm just not sure I want to trust an eBay fabrication which might not last? Ive seen a couple which are only 'Stitch welded' on the outside (Seem welded on the inside though, but thats a strength issue?). Is it the usual manufacturers for those?

v8fettler said:
Scholester said:
Great news that you have been looked after.

See this thread for rusty nots and bolts discussion.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=123755

Ah yes, I found this straight after posting! Some good suggestions, and as the stainless Headers seem relatively cheap, might be worth doing at the same time while the arse of the car is off.

Are there any more reputable stainless headers though? I'm just not sure I want to trust an eBay fabrication which might not last? Ive seen a couple which are only 'Stitch welded' on the outside (Seem welded on the inside though, but thats a strength issue?). Is it the usual manufacturers for those?

I have got to say that the quality and fit of the £150 Ebay specials is great. Alex Y has had the fitted for over three years with no issues. I believe Top Gear offer their own version and Kline will set you back over £1000.
Let us know how you get on but the standard headers are probably fine anyway!

Yes you would think that a top end sports car would have S/S or Ti nuts and fixings but unfortunately not. They are probably recommending doing the Cat's, both sides and the other fixings. TBH they are a fiddly job but not a £700 job!
If you have a good local mechanic they would probably do the job for a few hundred quid tops.

Excellent service from Leeds OPC, and in my mind, shows once again the worth of a Porsche warranty. :thumb:

Realise that this work was done under the 2-year warranty which came with the car. In terms of renewing Porsche warranty, some people may say that an OPC warranty is not worth £1K+ per annum. But even for a relatively low cost repair like this coolant pipe, the convenience and professionalism of an OPC surely makes it well worth having in my opinion.

Duplicate :sad:

Good result chum :thumb: However the only hose that grabs my attention is usually the fully fashioned nylon type - Ding dong 8)

easternjets said:
Yes you would think that a top end sports car would have S/S or Ti nuts and fixings but unfortunately not. They are probably recommending doing the Cat's, both sides and the other fixings. TBH they are a fiddly job but not a £700 job!
If you have a good local mechanic they would probably do the job for a few hundred quid tops.

I've enquired on a couple of local Indy's, so I'll let you know what the results of that are..

Do you think (or has anyone had an issue with ) Porsche would find a stainless header to be an excuse to void my warranty? It drops into that area of "it aint Porsche supplied, you're out!", Vs actually looking to see if it did harm. I can't see a material change affcting it, but then worry that they may claim manufacturing tolerances of the item has stressed the engine/nuts/fittings etc?

I intend to keep it in warranty as long as I can to be fair, it'll just mean I can sleep at night! £700 for 14 Nuts replaced, dread to think how much it would have cost me had it not been covered for the coolant pipe (or the attached labour to change it more like!).

Stuff like this makes me think about taking it to be winter prepped like a 4x4. get them to completely clean underneath and wax it! Stop the rot as it were. Anyone use that karcher under car attachment??

v8fettler said:
Do you think (or has anyone had an issue with ) Porsche would find a stainless header to be an excuse to void my warranty? It drops into that area of "it aint Porsche supplied, you're out!", Vs actually looking to see if it did harm. I can't see a material change affcting it, but then worry that they may claim manufacturing tolerances of the item has stressed the engine/nuts/fittings etc?

I don't think it would invalidate any claim you made - so long as the failure wasn't attributable to the non OEM part

BUT

You wouldn't be able to renew your warranty when it runs out.

Personally if a'int broke don't fix it, I only put S/S on mine because the originals cracked.

First things first .. Porsche Warrenty is not as good as it was but i would still highly recomend having one even though i no longer work for an OPC so im biased towards Indys basically.

It was although i cant say now that Porsche cant invalidate a warrenty claim unless parts fitted or Non OPC mechanic has caused the fault .

So if you go in with an oil leak and they see you have a non Porsche battery fitted then they cant refuse to do said work if it would be a warrenty job without that battery .

If you have a Parrot phone system fitted and it kills your PCM then they are well with in their rights NOT to pay for it .

Im in total agreement with that statement .

Any non Porsche parts fitted will fail the 111 point check so you will not get an extended warrenty when yours runs out .

The definition is will the mechanic doing the inspection know if they are genuine parts or have they been fitted by an OPC .. we dont check that .. if i could see it was non Porsche parts then i would fail it .. we got 1.5 hours for a complete inspection .. a new set of nuts on a turbo or an exhaust wouldn,t have interested me and i certainly wouldn,t have asked for a paper trail .

Ive been out of OPC for 3 years now .. it may have changed ...

But i doubt it .

Nice to get a result & good for Porsche Leeds, good info for any future purchases,
I had mine in without breakdown at Porsche Chester in summer 17 due to smell of anti freeze under front wheel arches & they replaced hoses, pipes etc both sides right through to rear engine compartment all under warranty with no hassle, so Ime also pleased too with the Porsche warranty service
Mines a 997.2 Carrera 4

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back