Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sports Cats - Straight Vs. X Pipe

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting some sports cats for my car 997.1 2S mainly for the reason of more noise...I have the PSE with the valves permanently open but personally, I like loud cars and believe that sports cats are the best first point of call?

I've seen a couple of different options for sale for near enough the same price, point either a 2 straight pipe design which I'm assuming is most similar to stock but just replacing the cats for 200cel versions OR an x-pipe design in which the pipes cross over after the 200cel cats...

Does anyone know if there is any difference between them for volume and sound? The only bit of info I've been able to find out is the X design apparently gives a higher pitched sound? :?:

todayimdriving said:
Hi All,

I'm looking at getting some sports cats for my car 997.1 2S mainly for the reason of more noise...I have the PSE with the valves permanently open but personally, I like loud cars and believe that sports cats are the best first point of call?

I've seen a couple of different options for sale for near enough the same price, point either a 2 straight pipe design which I'm assuming is most similar to stock but just replacing the cats for 200cel versions OR an x-pipe design in which the pipes cross over after the 200cel cats...

Does anyone know if there is any difference between them for volume and sound? The only bit of info I've been able to find out is the X design apparently gives a higher pitched sound? :?:

Have a read of Sharkwerkz and Fabspeeds web pages as one reccomended the straight pipes the other the XPipe it might help you decide which you want. I used the topgear big bore 200 cell Xpipe on my gen1 its a bit more money than the std bore one but gave me the sound I was looking for I was led to understand the mandrel bent xpipe has a merge collector where they join at the X this improves the sound and creates some of the crackles and pops.

If you do decide on Topgear give Alex the sales director a call at the bridport HQ tell him your a forum member and ask for 10% discount , he will sort you out.

https://www.topgear.co.uk/exhausts/porsche

Top gear x pipe exhaust is on my "must do"list for 2018.

I wonder if anyone here has any views or experience of the benefits or potential pitfalls of fitting 100 cell cats with 63mm bore pipes as opposed to going with the 200 cell 63mm variants? :?:

peterzoom said:
Top gear x pipe exhaust is on my "must do"list for 2018.

I wonder if anyone here has any views or experience of the benefits or potential pitfalls of fitting 100 cell cats with 63mm bore pipes as opposed to going with the 200 cell 63mm variants? :?:

There has been quite a lot of discussion on this subject the consensus seems to be
1/ it may be too loud for most tracks
2/ it will fail an MOT
3/ the small BHP gains over 200cell dont justify the hassle.

I think most of us that have ended up with 200 cell cats have had the same thought about 100cell instead.

What were you thinking 100cell would give you that 200cell wouldnt or was it just a few more BHP :thumb:

If you want to add some noise add the cross pipes. If you really want to go fully ASBO, cut the crap and go decat. But you might want the kind where you can bolt the cats back in, so you can pass MOT emissions tests, and drive on the track, and - probably - after you've been stopped on the road. :cop:

I have a 200 cell sports cat on my other car, at the end of a long 4-2-1 motorsport manifold, which is just about quiet enough to pass the so called static (standing) tests from 1 metre at 3000rpm, but it's probably a bit too much for drive-by regulations. I try to lift if I see a man with a noise meter but I haven't been black flagged yet. On the road, I need to stay below 4000rpm if there are any rozzers about. It's so much fun but a pain in the arse frankly as I'm not 25 any more. :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back