Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Single wiper mechanism ---------------

-- 997 --

Barcelona
Hi all. Whilst watching the Nuremburg Crashes on YouTube. (Love it) I see a lot of the porches 997 have a single wiper mechanism that sits in the middle of the windscreen..

This mechanism. Where can we get them or is there a conversion???? A mod I would like to carry out!!!

Cheers

J

not sure if the cup cars run with no scuttle if so it might be a bit ugly. also ok for occational use car but having it sit at the 12 oclock position when not in use might get a bit annoying . but an interesting potential project

May be wrong, but unfortunately think that the swept area in front of the driver's direct line of vision would be considerably reduced (unless the mechanism was extremely sophisticated to trace move than just a basic arc). This would mean that the car would fail to meet Type Approval requirements, and consequently would not pass a MOT.

My first Mercedes was a 98 W202 C class, these had a single wiper and to be honest at normal public road speeds it was terrible :grin:

On the next model W203 they changed to dual wipers, " due to customer preference " :thumb:

Single wiper would be fine on a track though as speed/airflow throws the water off.

You know I see it so often I didnt even twig :floor:

resigner said:
Martian said:
-- 997 -- said:
.......Nuremburg.....

:lol:

Lol. That is one hell of a Freudian slip.....

Ooh did I say it wrong :grin:

Maybe it's called Nurburg Ring. Or maybe The Ring ???? Either way love it when car a 're trashed.... but the single wiper looks good. Can't see it being in the way whilst driving and regards to MOT Failure. I reckon as long as if wipes the wind screen why should it fail !!

J

-- 997 -- said:
Can't see it being in the way whilst driving and regards to MOT Failure. I reckon as long as if wipes the wind screen why should it fail !!
J
Worth having a look at this site which stipulates MOT requirements for wipers :-
http://www.mot-test.net/mock-test/wipers-and-washers/

Had a friend who did a single wiper conversion on an Audi TT. He failed the MOT because the swept area was insufficient to allow an un-obscured view ahead. He ended up going back to twin wipers. Maybe just a poor single conversion with a simple swept arc which a more sophisticated parallelogram linkage mechanism (similar to Mercedes) may have addressed. Worth considering before taking the plunge.

-- 997 -- said:
resigner said:
Martian said:
-- 997 -- said:
.......Nuremburg.....

:lol:

Lol. That is one hell of a Freudian slip.....

Ooh did I say it wrong :grin:

Maybe it's called Nurburg Ring. Or maybe The Ring ???? Either way love it when car a 're trashed.... but the single wiper looks good. Can't see it being in the way whilst driving and regards to MOT Failure. I reckon as long as if wipes the wind screen why should it fail !!

J

OP, have a search for the Rallies and see what you think. :what:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back