Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Discs and Pads

Ratattak

Spa-Francorchamps
Does everyone favour Pagid over OEM for road use ?

Dont go cheap, I fitted un known discs and had serious wheel vibration removed them returned them got Pagid fitted them all sorted :thumb: now have pagid discs and pads all round, while your in there doing that highly recommend you fit braded brake lines :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the advice Phil ... best place to buy ATM ? ... I don't need them now so should I wait for a "sale" ?

Ratattak said:
Thanks for the advice Phil ... best place to buy ATM ? ... I don't need them know so should I wait for a "sale" ?

If your not in a hurry then best wait for one of the online factors to have a sale mate :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Dont go cheap, I fitted un known discs and had serious wheel vibration removed them returned them got Pagid fitted them all sorted :thumb: now have pagid discs and pads all round, while your in there doing that highly recommend you fit braded brake lines :thumb: :thumb:

Like Phil says go OEM on the discs and pads, anything else is false economy... Disagree with the braided hoses though, i replaced mine with Goodridge ones when i replaced my discs and pads all round a couple of months ago along with a flush through of racing brake fluid... If i'm being totally honest i can't really tell any difference to the pedal feel, save ya pennies on those mate :)

You won't tell any difference with braided lines, they just look nice.

MC

Ratattak said:
Thanks for the advice Phil ... best place to buy ATM ? ... I don't need them know so should I wait for a "sale" ?

Absolutely. My car is SORN at the moment while I'm away and won't be getting the Pagids fitted until Easter. ECP had one of their fairly regular sales on and I managed to bag discs and pads at 50% off. Worth watching though as the 'normal' price has a habit of fluctuating so keep an eye elsewhere. :thumb:

Autodoc are cheap but their customer service is modelled on Ryanair, atrocious!

Braded brake lines , you wont feel any difference UNTIL that time when you really really need to stop. when you bang hard on the brakes and you can feel the pedal soften as the regular ones expand under pressure. you know when you have to pump them to stop. with braided lines that doesnt happen as they cant expand and soften the pedal. Its one of those silly things that might just save you from a smash one day , so for me its £70 well spent even though for 99% of the time you wont feel any difference. but 10ft shorter stopping from 100mph could make all the difference on that one occasion. :grin:

oh yes and they do look nice :grin: I got blue ones to match my paint not that you ever see them :floor: As Ade said I also used gulf racing brake fluid. well why not if you can, it cant hurt :floor: :floor:

MisterCorn said:
You won't tell any difference with braided lines, they just look nice.

MC

For road use you probably won't notice the difference, on the track they make a big difference to counteract brake fade / spongey pedal. If you're not tracking it I wouldn't bother but if you are they are the first upgrade along with racing fluid you need to be making.

Sebro disks from ECP and Padgids or Textar pads all OEM stuff at a fraction of the cost :thumb:
Braided lines are cheap enough then why not ?

My Indy recommends Sebro discs. There are no after-market discs for 996 Turbo. The manufacturer for 996 Turbo does not supply outside of OPC under their contractual terms. For non-Turbo cars there are OEM discs (though I don't know who they are - Pagid or Sebro- and I'm talking discs, not pads).

Unless you are driving at the limit constantly on the road OEM will be fine. Let's face it day to day useage is more about reading the road and looking ahead to anticipate dangers not slowing continually from 120mph.

Pip

Thanks guys ... I think OEM are for me but I'm still a bit confused ... where do Pagid fit in ? are they the same/better/cheaper than OEM ?

Pagid are an after market brake pad supplier with a very good reputation for race/track pads namely the RS-29 but also do other pads appropriate for fast road et cetera. In essence some pads work better when hot ie constant hard braking, some produce more corrosive brake dust and some are more effective when used in 'normal' driving. So it depends on how you are going to use them as to which ones you fit.

NXI20 is a supplier of pads and discs and I am sure will be more than happy to help if you were to choose aftermarket.

OEM are still very good pads and ideal for road use. I think OEM will be cheaper especially if the alternative was the RS-29s. Others such as Pagid RS-14, RS-19 et cetera may be a little cheaper. I have only ever bought Pagid RS-29 or other makes.

So in my opinion, Pagid are not the same, better for track and I think more expensive than OEM (over RS-29 at least).

Pip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back