Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

L322 TDV8

Roro

Merry Christmas all

Pretty close to getting one of these as a daily

Will be spending about 10/15k on a 07/08 model, and aim to do around 15k miles pa

Does anyone have any first hand experience of running one of these?

More importantly, which warranty company did you use, what level of cover, and did they actually pay out whenever things went wrong?

Cheers all

If there is any way you can stretch to the 4.4l with the ZF 8 speed box and newer sat nav then it is well worth it. An all round better car. Common faults are turbos and EGR valves, suspension compressors as well but that is usually an easy fix. All warranty companies are a total PITA as far as I'm concerned. Make friends with a good indy near you, well worth doing.

MC

Mistercorn is spot on. 4.4l or don't buy one. One of mine (3yrs old at the time) went into limp mode on the autobahn on the way to a ski trip. 100mph to nothing 5 up and loaded worst driving experience I've had.. Recovered to land rover rosenheim, Hoses replaced, then on way home from collecting it from Munich same thing again...was actually the left turbo bank going...fixed under jlr warranty after lots of arguing, got it shipped back and traded it in for a porsche within 3 days. Had 2 older tdv8 models both were at the dealers more than on my drive......

We have the Sport in with the TDV8. A superb engine indeed.

Ours is on 140k miles now and never had any problem with it other than a suspension height sensor which is an easy fix. No engine issues at all.

In hindsight though I would still go for the 4.4 supercharged if I was to do it again. Fuel economy isnt much difference but there's less to go wrong (ie no potential turbo failures etc) and its much quicker.

If you're not used to it though, 2+ tonnes of motor takes a lot of slowing down when its got a shift on and EATS front discs/pads! :eek:

ragpicker said:
In hindsight though I would still go for the 4.4 supercharged if I was to do it again. Fuel economy isnt much difference but there's less to go wrong (ie no potential turbo failures etc) and its much quicker.

I would be amazed if the 4.4 supercharger is close to the diesel in fuel consumption. I regularly see 34mpg on my diesel on a run.

MC

Anything after 20010 is a must as Mister Corn says. My 4.4 is my daily and love it - my wife even nicks it over her merc GL to tow the horse trailer. Get gearbox flush and software flash and all dif oils and done and it will last ages. Fan belt was a ***** as everything on the front has to
Come Off even the air on

Thanks all for the comments so far

MC/Kozzi, is the 4.4 TDV8 really that much more reliable than the 3.6? I'm not really too worried about the toys, it's more the reliability I want to maximise. I could potentially go for a higher miles 4.4 judging by a quick look at AT. If the issues like compressors and EGR valve are going to occur on the 4.4 anyway however then am I not just as well off in reliability terms buying a cheaper 3.6 TDV8?

Or did they manage to sort a lot of issues in the 4.4? If so then what things are less likely to go wrong on the newer model?

I'm loathe to deal with warranty companies too. Depending on premiums, I guess I could probably bank that sum instead and keep aside for fixes and repairs

I expect the gearboxes and turbos are more reliable. I gad a feeling the EGR was improved too, but not perfect.... I had the 3.6l before changing to the 4.4l. It isn't one thing, everything is a little bit better which makes the whole experience much nicer. Mine has had a leaky coolant pipe, an EGR issue, bottom suspension arms, new battery, and pads all round in the 14 months I have had it. Battery and EGR problems were present when I bought it. Mine is a 2010, now on 60k miles. I did 12k miles in it last year, easily more than all of my other cars put together.

MC

MisterCorn said:
ragpicker said:

I would be amazed if the 4.4 supercharger is close to the diesel in fuel consumption. I regularly see 34mpg on my diesel on a run.

MC

Around town we struggle to get anywhere near 20mpg in the diesel. People with the supercharged tell me they get about 15-16 around town which isn't much worse. Ours rarely goes on long runs where we would benefit from the higher mpg for that use, hence why I'd go petrol in hindsight... Horses for courses and all that :thumb:

4.4 has the newer jag engine and different 8 speed gearbox which improves fuel on runs and doesn't destroy itself as much
I love mine as I get in and press the button and she never lets me down. Had 2 gearboxes go on previous 3.6 tdv8

I have a 4.4 TDV8 and did a lot of research before buying it against a neighbours very nice 3.6.

The 4.4 engine is certainly sweeter and more powerful than the 3.6 and pleasingingly it is also more economical. I get nearly 30mpg most of the time and more than that on a run at motorway speeds. I can get 35mpg on occasions but have rarely seen any number above 35 in truth.

Whilst the 4.4 engine is better in terms or reliability and power it's the 8 speed gearbox that makes the most difference.

If you can drive both you should try, and my hunch is you will agree with what others are saying here because I thought there was a very real difference in favour of the 4.4.

Mine is a Sept 2011 Vogue SE so just over 6 years old now and has had an air suspension compressor and rear dampers - both under LR warranty - it's approaching 100,000 miles and with the addition of rear bushes honestly drives like brand new. Good ones don't seem overly troubled by miles - mine was a high mileage motorway car known to me from new so I was lucky.

I added deployment steps, a tow bar and rear TV screens when I bought it so it is now my perfect spec.

The only thing I would be likely to replace it with is the newer model which the previous owner replaced mine with - luckily he bought another black with parchment one :) so I'm just waiting.

In conclusion I was in exactly the position you are in and I ended up buying a slightly more expensive 4.4 and I love it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back