Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo : Slight oil dampness at chain end of bank 2 area

adamw

Hi guys
Just a query really

This was reported on last service invoice from Precision.
It's going in early 2018 for MoT and service and going to get them to assess this. It's not dripping but is definitely oil around described area when I took a quick peak earlier.

Any ideas what the likely culprit might be and approx cost to fix?

Cheers and merry Xmas to all

Adam :thumb:

Personally I would clean the area with brake cleaner and see how long it takes to develop again. :thumb:

kas750 said:
Personally I would clean the area with brake cleaner and see how long it takes to develop again. :thumb:

Hi Kas
Cheers for the advice and think I'll give that a go to see how long it takes to come back.
Haven't got any brake cleaner. Should 'air intake and carburettor cleaner" do the job. I have that ..
:thumb:

You can try the brake cleaner test and see how long it takes to return.
However, by the time this oil weep starts, unless you plan on off-loading the car in the spring, you will ultimately face a bill to have it sorted. Oil leaks once they develop have an uncanny way of being spotted by an Indy at a PPI. My own local Indy is always sharp to spot someone who disguises an oil leak by scrupulously cleaning the area to hide a potential big bill as many such leaks require an engine out job to fix them (lots of labour).

I hope its a tiny weep that develops in 2 years after you clean it. Many need fixing by the present owner though in time - which is very variable.

cheshire911 said:
You can try the brake cleaner test and see how long it takes to return.
However, by the time this oil weep starts, unless you plan on off-loading the car in the spring, you will ultimately face a bill to have it sorted. Oil leaks once they develop have an uncanny way of being spotted by an Indy at a PPI. My own local Indy is always sharp to spot someone who disguises an oil leak by scrupulously cleaning the area to hide a potential big bill as many such leaks require an engine out job to fix them (lots of labour).

I hope its a tiny weep that develops in 2 years after you clean it. Many need fixing by the present owner though in time - which is very variable.

Many thanks Cheshire and certainly not looking to offload. Had it under a year and currently the intention is it's a keeper and to invest in it.
Like I've said I'll be getting Precision to assess in Jan and was really only going to clean down to see how quickly signs of oil return.
:thumb:

Indeed Adam and that is how anyone with actual hands on experience would deal with it. :thumb:

kas750 said:
Indeed Adam and that is how anyone with actual hands on experience would deal with it. :thumb:

Great, cheers :thumb:
I'll give it a little clean down tomorrow :grin:

Anyone have any experience of oil leaks in this location and potential costs ?? :?:

Have you got a picture? Not all these leaks are engine out.

Jamesyg said:
Have you got a picture? Not all these leaks are engine out.

Hi James
Kinda hard to get a good shot as quite tight in garage to get under but these are what I could manage.
This is almost central between exhausts, right near the rear PU.
Anyone had anything similar sorted?

B8580081-8_C10-4_B52-876_B-_AE2_DEE980_F85.jpg

1798281_A-1_E21-48_DC-_A4_BE-405_DDF7_FF392.jpg

Sorry not massively handy with spanner's so not quite sure what I'm looking at or how difficult it is to fix?

That's not a weep.
A picture paints a thousand words. :thumb:

kas750 said:
That's not a weep.
A picture paints a thousand words. :thumb:

No drips yet on garage floor but I'd say it needs sorting :eek: :sad:

Anyone have any ideas of labour/costs? :frustrated:

Looks like is may be coming from above. Could it be filling spillage?

When I had my 996T PPI'd at OPC Tonbridge they identified "Oil leak from Bank 1 Chain Rail" and it looked like your photo.

The dealer I was buying the car from got it done and it definitely wasn't an engine out or a particularly big job.

Good Luck :thumb:

T8 said:
When I had my 996T PPI'd at OPC Tonbridge they identified "Oil leak from Bank 1 Chain Rail" and it looked like your photo.

The dealer I was buying the car from got it done and it definitely wasn't an engine out or a particularly big job.

Good Luck :thumb:

Thanks Terry, that's reassuring ! I hope yr right 🤞
Happy Christmas :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back