Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wet Rear Carpet...Soaking Wet!

DucatiRob

I have been pulling out most of the interior to fit a complete new audio installation, the carpet in the rear footwells is absolutely soaking wet, I mean sodden!!! Now I am hoping the water has come from the door panels, the usual problem with the inner panel seal that disintegrates, I fixed this last month permanentlyI hope, no more wet door carpets anyway!

Is there anywhere else that water might creep in? I just want to be sure that the wet carpet is the remnant from the door leak. I have been getting a lot of condensation in the last few weeks which is obviously from the wet rear and haven't used the car much while I have been stripping out the interior panels so maybe it has't had time to dry! Everywhere else is dry, front carpets, rear deck etc.!

Just want to be sure!!!

Have you got a sunroof?

On a 996 its the sunroof drains that get blocked causing the sodden rear carpets.

The drain exits in the rear passenger side wheel arch.

Attachments

• 996_roof_drain_schematic1_140.jpg
    996_roof_drain_schematic1_140.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 5,009
vlad said:
Have you got a sunroof?

On a 996 its the sunroof drains that get blocked causing the sodden rear carpets.

The drain exits in the rear passenger side wheel arch.

Yes, I do have a sunroof and I thought this might be the cause, but I have checked the drain today, poured water into the sunroof channels and it drained fine, out int the rear wheel arches!

Is there anywhere this pipe might leak, even if it is draining ok?

Not sure then, perhaps they are not 100% clear ? and the water is both draining via the drain and you are getting some ingress into the car via the overflowing channels :?

Is it the rears behind both seats that is getting wet, when I had the blocked drain it just effected passenger side - if you are seeing both side wet perhaps suggests something other than the sunroof drains?

But I think over to Demort and those more knowledgable than myself.....

vlad said:
Not sure then, perhaps they are not 100% clear ? and the water is both draining via the drain and you are getting some ingress into the car via the overflowing channels :?

Is it the rears behind both seats that is getting wet, when I had the blocked drain it just effected passenger side - if you are seeing both side wet perhaps suggests something other than the sunroof drains?

But I think over to Demort and those more knowledgable than myself.....

Yes, it's just the rear only, I will have to try and trace the pipes from the sunroof channel, I guess it is routed down through the C pillar somewhere?

Don't let water get anywhere near the "rear control unit" under the
Passenger seat.

My son kicked a water bottle under there after Simply Porsche 2017.

Frunk locked , Sunroof stuck open , No rear parking sensor, Spoiler jammed up

£500 + to replace and fit / code :frustrated:

Couldn't be bothered... So I bought the GTS instead :grin:

Just in case you havent fixed this yet then look at the seal along side the rear side window as this is actually a drain .. see picture .

Attachments

• pb180072_148.jpg
    pb180072_148.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 4,448
Demort said:
Just in case you havent fixed this yet then look at the seal along side the rear side window as this is actually a drain .. see picture .

Thanks Dermot, I did look at this at the weekend but don't understand what you mean by the seal also being a drain? :dont know: The pic shows someones finger pulling the seal away, is there a drain here and where does it drain to?

What was the check to be done on the rear quarter glass seal/drain channel? What was the last picture showing?

The picture was actually a 996 but the water drains out in the same place on a 997 ...

I would remove the B pillar and look at the places in the image below .. any obvious rust is a sign of water ingress .

Image below is of a Targa and the outer glass seal had been replaced with rivets that where too long ..

Attachments

• p1140034_127.jpg
    p1140034_127.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 1,600
  • p1140037_138.jpg
    p1140037_138.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 1,599

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member