Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 8
997 : 2004- 68
996 : 1997-2005 43
993 : 1993-1998 9
964 : 1989-1993 7
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 15
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

MattyR
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: CTEK Battery Changer - educate me please! Reply with quote

So the general consensus is the MCS 5.0 yes?

Anyone happen to know the length of cable from the plug to the conditioner unit?
Can I plug straight into the ciggy lighter in a 1995 993 or direct to battery only?

Will it recondition a drained battery due to lack of use (new battery but drained through car sitting on drive under cover for 2 months!).

GT917
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Length is about two meters (too cold outside for checking).
Yes, you can plug it in the cigarette lighter.
Yes, it should recondition your recent but drained battery.

NIBrown
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: CTEK Battery Changer - educate me please! Reply with quote

[quote="MattyR"]So the general consensus is the MCS 5.0 yes?

Can I plug straight into the ciggy lighter in a 1995 993 or direct to battery only?

Only works if cigarette lighter remains live with key out of ignition, can't remember if they do??
Previous
Mk5 Gti Pirelli Edition, Audi TT diesel, Defender 300Tdi CSW,90 Tomb Raider, Golf 7R
Mk6 Golf GTD, Mk5/4/3 Golf Gti, Audi S3

Endoman
Österreich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciggy lighter liive with ign. Ctek can supply lead which you can tuck under carpet. Push down on frunk locking cam so you can run a lead into car with bonnet on safety catch, locks and alarm can be activated. Dont forget to pull bonnet release and close before driving off. I fitted a remote socket which indicates battery condition.

gunner
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 'eyelet' connector permanently in place on the battery with the cable run under the carpet to just next to the frunk struts.

Most of the time that cable is connected to a second cable through into the cabin to power my DAB/USB, but can also be plugged into the charger at this point with the bonnet closing as usual.

Jet Jock
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ctek M S 5.0 is fantastic. I was able to revitalize my old Banner battery(Only after investing in a new Bosch S5 of course). The standard pack comes with eyelets and crocodile connections which work shorterm but you can buy a ‘Comfort Connect Extension Cable’ 2.5 meters long. What I would recommend, if you’re not going to use the cigarette lighter, is the ‘Comfort Indicator with 8mm Eyelet adaptors’. The eyelets on this fit perfectly onto your battery whereas the one supplied are too small and need to be cut and widened to fit. It also has a quick release option on the cable and fuse. I’m not sure what year/model cigarette lighters are ‘live’ when the ignition is off, maybe the Illuminati could divulge?

Baz
993 C2, RSR's, Cargraphic 100 Cell Cat, Turbo Twist Hollows, Brembo Big Reds Turbo Brakes, Big Ovals, Wayne Schofield Remap, KW Supersport set up by Chris Franklin, RS engine and transmission mounts, Fabspeed induction kit, HID conversion...

GT917
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 1994 car, the lighter is alive even if the ign is off.

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the difference (apart from the price) between a CTEK and one of These Dont know

jhrfc
Trainee

1994 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure a wiring mod needs to be made to make the lighter permanently live.
I think over the years a lot of cars have had this done. but it is not possible on tip cars. (i know cos i have one.).
I connected the eyelet cable to the terminals in the frunk and plug it in form there.
J

Allan E
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: C-tek Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:
So what's the difference (apart from the price) between a CTEK and one of These Dont know

About £50!
I have a c-tek which I bought in 2008, still works but the led on the screen is kaput. I also have a similar one as Zingari suggests bought from my favourite German outlet, Lidl for £15, recommended.

decgraham
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhrfc wrote:
I'm pretty sure a wiring mod needs to be made to make the lighter permanently live.
I think over the years a lot of cars have had this done. but it is not possible on tip cars. (i know cos i have one.).
I connected the eyelet cable to the terminals in the frunk and plug it in form there.
J

Hi,

I have a 1995 TipS and the cigarette lighter is live with the ignition off and key out, maybe because it's US/EU spec Dont know it hasn't had any wiring mods.

ATB Smile

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of those in my link and it looks good quality.

I thought my cheapo Halfords tricke charger that came with the 964 was knackered but it wasn't and after 5yrs with me its still going strong worship

The CTEK seems to be the 993 'must have' accessory along with wiper widget, plastic nipple covers under the spoiler, rubber bungs to hide the mirror screws and undercarriage teats Rolling Eyes

Jet Jock
Montreal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:

I thought my cheapo Halfords tricke charger that came with the 964 was knackered but it wasn't and after 5yrs with me its still going strong worship

The CTEK seems to be the 993 'must have' accessory along with wiper widget, plastic nipple covers under the spoiler, rubber bungs to hide the mirror screws and undercarriage teats Rolling Eyes

Grin
993 C2, RSR's, Cargraphic 100 Cell Cat, Turbo Twist Hollows, Brembo Big Reds Turbo Brakes, Big Ovals, Wayne Schofield Remap, KW Supersport set up by Chris Franklin, RS engine and transmission mounts, Fabspeed induction kit, HID conversion...

Jet Jock
Montreal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:

Grin

nickjonesn4
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure other chargers are good. The reality is that Ctek are the industry standard. All car storage operations and dealers use them because they work really really well. For the sake of £30 difference I would go for the CTek as it's total piece of mind.

The recondition function has cured a long running battery problem on my AMG.

911TEL
Suzuka

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickjonesn4 wrote:
I'm sure other chargers are good. The reality is that Ctek are the industry standard. All car storage operations and dealers use them because they work really really well. For the sake of £30 difference I would go for the CTek as it's total piece of mind.

The recondition function has cured a long running battery problem on my AMG.

C-Tek charger is my 1st choice ... it is a good piece of kit , easy to use , ergonomical controls are good and functions are adequate ..... MXS 5.0 is the best of them IMO

They are NOT infallible however and although supposed to be IP 65 I had a failure recently in our wintery weather when the snow melted of underside of DD car returned into the garage.... water seems to have got in ... I heard an unhealthy sizzling sound and it was tripping the RCD in the power circuit.
Replaced with the spare charger ( meant changing to the comfort connector tails direct to the battery, as it was the non-comfort early connector ) but now back up and charging ok.

I bought an Optimate to try out when opportunity permits and that one looks almost as functional as the C- TeK.

PS
There are instances though when the C-Tek smart charger ( and this type of charger ) cannot see the internal resistance of the battery if it drops too low ... it will not sense an start charging.

If you find that you have this , simply connect ( Viz mag wording ) a healthy battery in parallel until charging starts,then you may remove the healthy battery, the charger will only charge the unhealthy one obviously.
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition

Citori
Kyalami

1996 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhrfc wrote:
J

Hello.
I managed to modify my 1996 tip so that the lighter socket was live all the time. It was quite easy. It saves having to lift the bonnet each time you park the car and also reduces the risk of driving out the garage with the charger still connected.
You need to install a fused link (15A fuse)with a spade connector at each end from a perm live unused circuit in the fuse box to the the lighter socket.
It was a while ago now so I can't remember which circuit I used. You just have to make sure the circuit you link from is rated at about 15-20 Amp so the cig lighter will still work without causing problems with the wiring.

I used a CTEK on the 993, but I also have one of the cheap ones from Lidl which is excellent for the money.
The only working difference I have noticed between the two is that if you have a power cut (which happens regularly where I live) the CTEK will return to it's charging state and continue to work. Unfortunately the lidl one doesn't and just switches back to standby.
1981 911SC Sport.
1978 911SC.
1970 911E.

I have CDO. It’s like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE..

Aircooled or nothin....

Albionmuz
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Ctek MXS 5.0 and have a couple of questions. I have removed the bonnet bulb and turned off the interior light which seemed to stay on when the bonnet was open, but the light that illuminates the ignition remains on. How can I use the charger and still be able to close the bonnet? Would I get away with leaving the cable coming out of the bonnet but then close the bonnet? I realise it would probably put an indent on the cable but can’t see a way to do it without having to remove the undertray to bring the cable through one of the grommet holes in the frunk.
Alfa 159 Sportwagon
Porsche 968 Cab Tip
Lexus IS 200

Jet Jock
Montreal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Albionmuz,

I place the cable from the charger on the corner of the bonnet and gentle press the bonnet down. Second year doing this and with no issue. Hasn’t left a mark to date and means you don’t have to remove boot/frunk bulb.

HTH

Albionmuz
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet Jock wrote:
Hi Albionmuz,

I place the cable from the charger on the corner of the bonnet and gentle press the bonnet down. Second year doing this and with no issue. Hasn’t left a mark to date and means you don’t have to remove boot/frunk bulb.

HTH

Thanks for the very quick response. Do you mean the corner up by the window or at the side down by the bumper?
Alfa 159 Sportwagon
Porsche 968 Cab Tip
Lexus IS 200

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: