Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best 996 friendly breakdown cover

galahad

Hi all,

Just realised that after having only had new cars for the past 10 years. I've never had to worry about roadside assistance and whilst I have every confidence in my lovely C4S, I think it may be prudent to get decent cover.

Have heard that www.startrescue.co.uk are good but is there anyone else I should consider?

Cheers

Before you commit to one
Have a double check you aren't already covered through your bank account

I know through mine I already have AA cover including home start
And other little bits like travel and mobile phone cover too :thumb:

I can vouch for start rescue. I only had to use them once. They sent a suitable vehicle to recover my car which I told them would need a lift rather than a tow.
A year of rescue, recovery and at home was £33 this year.
Their terms and conditions are a copy and paste of the RAC as far as I could see.

Also with start rescue and have researched the product a lot. If you have a few vehicles it's a good policy and price.

I had to use the basic AA cover i get free with my bank the other month.
Had a coil pack go at 10pm, the guy turned up just gone 11pm,diagnosed and swapped two coil packs over to make sure that was the issue, and then drove 40 minutes away to get the part (from my mates shop who opened up as a favour for me at 1am) the guy drove back and fitted the part and i was back on my way with a new coilpack fitted £55 lighter and then £20 as a tip.
Cannot recommend them enough, would of been so easy for him just to drag me to the nearest garage.

RAC on the other hand, the mrs had a fan belt break midday on her mini cooper, the towed her to a garage and even then she had to leave her car there for nearly two days whilst the ordered the part and fitted it at a eye watering £145, so personally AA all the way for me

Thanks guys.

Looked into it and Barclays' Premier no longer include breakdown cover, however, it seems that Hiscox Insurance does but it's by DAS whom I have never heard of.

Anyone dealt with them before? Hopefully won't ever need it but don't want to end up stranded for the sake of a £50 Start policy.

Cheers

Chris

DAS are known for Motor Legal Expenses cover rather than breakdown. I guess they've gone for another product line to sit alongside Legal Expenses since they already have the distribution for it.

Not used them; likely they're similar to others in that they'll use whichever third party contractor they have a deal with closest to the site of your breakdown.

Agreed on the third party use of local contractors.
My 997 C4S was coughing a little last month and the engine light came on, so had it recovered.
Even though I insure through AVIVA, the recovery service is via RAC , but RAC sent a local recovery service company....who were very good. They brought a flat bed / tipping trailer and winched the car on board.
The recovery guy told me they are not allowed to drive the cars they recover, so no fear of driving damage.

My cover is joint "personal" cover for me and my wife regardless of which car we are in so actually could be in cars we don't own or insure with AVIVA. £63.00/year. :thumb:

Any vehicle breakdown/recovery policy be it a driver policy (such as AA or RAC) or a car policy ( such as any cover provided by an insurer pr the likes of Green Flag) will be able to recover the car appropriately.

Its not as if its a £250k car that is recovered in a covered pod to hide it from predatory eyes. It requires a flat-bed setup and my Insurance broker provides cover via a firm that has experience of recovering high(er) value brands outside of supercar league.

Look at ADAC.

German recovery company, brilliant service.

I've had it for years and have used them and found them brilliant.

Covers you, regardless of what car your in, or even if you are a passenger.

Search on here for fuller details.

I'm only not with them now as my Classicline policy gives me included breakdown.

PeterS said:
Look at ADAC.

German recovery company, brilliant service.

I've had it for years and have used them and found them brilliant.

Covers you, regardless of what car your in, or even if you are a passenger.

Search on here for fuller details.

I'm only not with them now as my Classicline policy gives me included breakdown.

Ideal for when you drive to Stuttgart.

MC

Just check you have your towing eye in your toolkit.

When my 993 decided to have a dme Relay go pop in central London rush hour the only thing worse was when the flatbed turned up he could not do anything to recover me as no towing eye present.

I use AutoAid. £40 for FULL comprehensive cover.

Had them out once for the 996 when it sprung a leak, we topped it off and they followed me home in case it dropped its coolant. Bloke was very helpful.

If you HAVE to join the AA or RAC, then go via a cashback site and pay the real price, not the inflated price.

Or ADAC as above if you drive on the continent, cover gets pricey with old cars. I think they send the AA in the UK.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back