Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 vs RS4

gunner

Anyone owned/driven both?

It's my latest urge but would mean the departure of the 993.

Main reasoning is all weather usability and something the 710 would be happier driving (occasionally).

Thoughts?

Current or older RS4? I'd owned a B5 chassis version for 6+ yrs before I sold up and bought a 997 Turbo.

Looking at a B7.

One of the most stolen cars in the UK until recently. Desirable as wheels, seats etc bolt straight onto other VW cars. Nice noise. Nose heavy. Thirsty but only on par with 993. IMHO the 4wd adds security or safety element is not valid. It's all about tyres for grip in poor weather.

Agree that tyres make a big difference but I know I felt a lot more secure in my A6 quattro on cold/wet/greasy roads than I do now in the 993. Weight distribution probably as much of an issue as 4WD.

I had a B7 RS4 back in the day when they were new - it was my daily for 18 months but no substitute for the 964 I had in the garage......quicker with all the bells and whistles but not a better car in my humble opinion.

Having said that I didn't miss the 964 in the winter as it was my previous daily....

Mega engine. I found the seats extremely uncomfortable. I took one to Scotland for the weekend.

I also hear running costs and parts are very high. Brakes for example. Other than that...

Fiat Panda 4x4 - get one s/h for £7k.

stevewak said:
Fiat Panda 4x4 - get one s/h for £7k.

:lol:

I already have an XC90, this is supposed to be fun!

Im biased but Id try and get a B5 if you go this way. They totally get under your skin, nothing wrong with the B7 but the B5 just has something about it. A bit rarer and quicker, a few little tweeks and there monsters. B7 handle better out the box for sure.

Saying that Id struggle to go from a 993 to one unless you really need the space.

C4-era Audi S6 Estate. Friend had an auto one and it was fantastic. 1994–1997, so 993-friendly. Turbo 5-pot from the Quattro. It was expensive to run (I have said that before!). You never see them now.

Edited to say watch this: https://youtu.be/RHNX5Hqj140 William Willard, Frank Page and Sue Baker, eat your hearts out.

I bought a high spec(ceramics etc) b7 RS4 avant two weeks ago.

It was meant to replace my later and lower mileage RR sport as i was bored of the lack of involvement and i'd heard good things about them. I drove a few and the engine and drive is brilliant but they are costly to maintain to an original standard. Anyway i had the alarm upgraded to try to negate the seat theft, now has proximity sensor as well as all other triggers and siren is a lot louder.

Anyway I think the engine noise is better than my turbo, the gear change is better than my turbo, the clutch bite feel nicer, it stops better than my turbo and the steering is more weighted and again..... feels better than my turbo. Considering it was half the price of my Turbo I literally cant think of another car that can compete with it right now for the money, my car was early 20's but good ones with 80k can be had for around 16/17.

If you haven't driven one, go and drive a few..... Its an outstanding car for the money.

I owned a very nice manual 993 C2s couple of years ago, up till yesterday did own a very nice manual 996 Turbo X50 and between the 3 if values and potential increase/decrease were the linear i'd go for the RS4 as it does everything the other two can but with a nice large boot. I have dogs so neither of the Porsches work but I did prefer the the 993 experience more than the Turbo but between a tip 993 and an RS4, imo the RS4 is a the clear winner. The fact the 993 will cost the same as sub 20k miles RS4 or you try to find one as good as mine with 60k miles and £10k+ in your pocket is absolute deal.

I will admit though to maintain to high standard level in expensive.

I've owned both, still have the RS4 at the moment but I've actually just listed it up for sale as I just don't get to use it much anymore unfortunately.
It's one of the best cars I have ever owned, superb engine and steering feel in such a great all round package. My advice would be make sure you get one that has been well looked after and had all all the common issues resolved, there are a lot of bad examples out there.
For the money not much else comes close imo, I'm sure it'll be a future classic.
My one has had a few nice upgrades from MRC (the go to people for Audi RS tuning and upgrades) and it really makes the car feel special. Definitely going to miss it once it's gone :sad:

Back in '83, I px'd my 204 bhp 911 SC for a new WR Quattro Coupe.
What a mistake . . .!
Nose heavy, turbo lag and when hammered gave me 12mpg.
:bandit:
Kept it six months and p'xd it for another 911 and lost a shed load on it. Never bought another Audi since.
Just don't believe the hype!
Have things changed at Audi . . .?

:?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back