Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking to buy but I can''t find it ?

Main Force Patrol

Hi Guys,
New to the Forum but been lurking for a few weeks, my current daily driver is going back to BMW in a few months, and I am treating myself to a car that floats my boat. My spec is 2+2 with a cracking performance and I have landed on the 911 997 Gen2 but it must get my juices flowing to look at as well as perform.
I have found that car, Red 997 with full Aero Kit but it's a Gen 1 and it's with an OPC, plus side 2 year warranty, down side it's not Gen 2 and it's a bit expensive.
The truth is I haven't found a single 911 for sale ( under £100k ) that wants me to buy it, apart from Red Gen 1, Cars after all are an emotional purchase.

So daft question time..... Can I get Porsche to retro fit a full Aero Kit, either if I buy from an Indy or from them ?
Ideally I'm after a Red 997, but it appears they are almost the very least popular car out there, is there a list somewhere of all car registered so I'm not looking for something that simply doesn't exist, forcing to go down the road of retro fit ?
There you go, a newbie who wants a slice of hot toast with marmite spread all over it :floor:

Welcome to the forum :thumbs:

I think you are looking for a needle in a haystack.

These cars are addictive, I've never moded a car in my life until I met Phill on this site so your in the right place!

Hexagon have a lovely gen2 a bit expensive but low miles and red.

Easy to start adding rear wings and aero kits it's all part of the fun.

Good luck with the search

:welcome: to 911uk

Red 997s rule. :thumbs:

Firstly, no such list exists.

Red Carreras and Carreras with bodykits are both fairly rare but do crop up from time to time. Sadly for you the wait for another red Carrera with a bodykit might be a long one. You can have a kit retro-fitted but it would be ridiculously expensive.

If the car you've seen ticks all your boxes and has a 2 year OPC warranty I'd go for it.

Good Luck :thumb:

You can get a bodyshop to do whatever you like! The only downside will be the expense. Porsche dealers will have their own body work guys but they'll be pricey. It may be worth buying a non aero kit car and retro fitting it if the price is right and you don't want to wait for the unicorn to appear for sale. If you've got the cash the later model car is better. Bear in mind the less fussy you are with the options, the wider your choice and better chances of getting a great car mechanically.

Edit - a gen 1 with a 2 year OPC warranty is a great car to be in. You can leave Porsche to sort any of the engine gremlins that might occur and drive without worry.

Hi & welcome.

What sort of budget were you thinking?

I guess it's £50k looking at the red one OPC have for sale.

You need to have a serious think here as that sort of budget puts you in a Turbo, which, has far better performance, much more reliable, and will hold value much better than a naturally aspirated 3.6 or 3.8 997 (Gen 1). The NA (Gen 1) cars can be prone to bore-scoring on bank 2 (especially the 3.8) and even though you'd have a warranty, you'd be looking at having your engine rebuilt over a month or so if the worst did happen. The Turbo has a completely different engine that is far more robust. You also get all the goodies that come with a Turbo.

Personally I'd be slipping my backside into something more like this on a sub £50k budget:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708048035624

alex yates said:
You need to have a serious think here as that sort of budget puts you in a Turbo .........

........ Personally I'd be slipping my backside into something more like this on a sub £50k budget:

That's certainly an option.

No aerokit but even as standard they're not too shabby, and you get the wide bottom. Red Turbos are more common than Carreras too.

Food for thought

Thanks for all the feedback..... lots of mind tumbling now going on !

The problem is, the more the thinking the larger the budget gets :?:
Man Maths doesn't not help when your sat on your on retirement lump sum, may have to put the family on bread and water for a few years :floor:

So tranche 2 of daft questions....
When we say the Turbo is a better option, does that mean that the Gen1 Turbo doesn't have bore scoring and IMS bearing reliability set of issues ?
Aero Kit to fit is very expensive, I am guessing we are talking £3k to buy and £3k fit, or am I way off ? Because to me at that price I would go for it, to get the look I'm after.
Sorry I couldn't get linky to work Alex, but yes the budget was £40K to £50k, but Mrs MFP just gave me the nod to raise the stakes to £70k :worship:

Re: Food for thought

Main Force Patrol said:
(1) When we say the Turbo is a better option, does that mean that the Gen1 Turbo doesn't have bore scoring and IMS bearing reliability set of issues ?

(2) Aero Kit to fit is very expensive, I am guessing we are talking £3k to buy and £3k fit, or am I way off ? Because to me at that price I would go for it, to get the look I'm after.

(1) Gen1 Turbo is a totally different engine to the Carrera and is as near to bullet proof as a 911 engine can get.

(2) I don't know what genuine aerokit parts cost but I suspect £6k for 'supply, fit and paint' won't be enough.

Main Force Patrol said:
When we say the Turbo is a better option, does that mean that the Gen1 Turbo doesn't have bore scoring and IMS bearing reliability set of issues ?
Aero Kit to fit is very expensive, I am guessing we are talking £3k to buy and £3k fit, or am I way off ? Because to me at that price I would go for it, to get the look I'm after.
Sorry I couldn't get linky to work Alex, but yes the budget was £40K to £50k, but Mrs MFP just gave me the nod to raise the stakes to £70k :worship:

The Turbo engine is a completely different block and is a Mezger engine (more here: https://www.total911.com/technology-explained-mezger-engine/). It doesn't suffer from IMS or bore-scoring problems as it doesn't have the same design IMS and the deck layout on the cylinder blocks is very different and doesn't get the same 'hot-spots' as the standard engine.

The Turbo will hold its value far better (to the point it will likely make you money if you own it a few years). The GEN 1 997 Turbo is currently hovering around its lowest depreciation point and IMHO will now only go one way in value. The Turbo obviously has far more 'goodies' over the standard cars and is famous for being more reliable the the NA cars. People state the Mezger engine is near on bombproof. For me, it would be a no-brainer. Hold out a month or so and the right Red Turbo will be up for sale in your budget.

Also, if you do go down the Turbo route, don't be put off by the number of autos vs. manuals. Many owners claim the auto box goes perfect with the Turbo engine and are made for each other.

Others state you need an auto as you daren't take both hands off the wheel when you're driving one :grin:

Re: Food for thought

Main Force Patrol said:
the budget was £40K to £50k, but Mrs MFP just gave me the nod to raise the stakes to £70k :worship:

You are now in to gen 2 Turbo territory and easily in to Gen 1 with some cash to spare on upgrade mods :thumb:

Food for thought

I blame Steve Jobs for this double post

Thanks for all the feedback..... lots of mind tumbling now going on !

The problem is, the more the thinking the larger the budget gets :?:
Man Maths doesn't not help when your sat on your on retirement lump sum, may have to put the family on bread and water for a few years :floor:

So tranche 2 of daft questions....
Sorry I couldn't get linky to work Alex, but yes the budget was £40K to £50k, but Mrs MFP just gave me the nod to raise the stakes to £70k :worship: :x :pc: :pc: :pc: :pc:

Whhops

iPad issues :pc:

Everything gone a bit small and weird.

Anybody ever spent any money with Tech9 in Liverpool ?

Topless

Forgot to say I also a passion for a bit topless action, but I have a Lotus Elise sat in the garage for those warmer days :mrgreen:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back