Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Do 986 wheels fit a 996??

LOJO

I am planning to use my 996 throughout this winter, so looking for a set of 17" wheels with winter tyres. Boxster 17" seem quite a lot more available and cheaper than 911 wheels on fleebay.
Some sellers are saying that 996 and 986 are interchangeable, is that correct, or would I need spacers if I purchased Boxster wheels?

Any input or suggestions welcome!

in 996.1 17" fit, OE seems to be 7jx17 ET 55 or ET 50 (depending upon wheel design) front and 9jx17 ET 55 rear.

The 17" 986 wheels the same on the front and are a half inch narrower on the rear with a 48 or 50 offset, so the offsets are essentially compatible as far as fit is concerned (they will not foul anything). Spacers are an aesthetic option if you want to push them out a little to compensate the narrower wheel (7mm or 10mm I reckon) but you ought to be able to get away without and should be able to put them on the car and make that call based on how you feel about how they look.

I am sure that we must have someone on here who has actually tried this before though?

Thanks for that Disco - I quite fancy the 'rat' look for winter with a set of skinny knobbly tyres on my car - kind of like the Paris-Dakar 911s. I will see how the bidding goes and will take the best (nearest and cheapest undamaged).

Disco has covered that pretty well. The narrower track will of course provide better progress through snow and ice owing to a higher pressure footprint. Complement those with winter tyres or snow-chains if need be.

~ Maxie

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back