Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 8
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 10
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
j8fbr
Barcelona


Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 1305
Location: Surrey


PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: It’s been a while ! But hopefully I’m ready soon Reply with quote

Been away for quite a while due to selling the GTS last year Sad

Crap 18 months with my mum passing recently etc etc

Really miss our trackdays and Euro trips,

something keeps coming back to me won’t go away, a little voice in my head saying GT3 !

I really need to stop torturing myself so here goes :

Do I go for 997GT3RS or 991GT3RS ? I’m not a total track nut but would like to start it up again with a few trips next year. Usual suspects will know what I mean. Not too bothered about appreciation but don’t want to lose a load of money short term. Will they accept bitcoins
Floor Floor

I wish.

But seriously I have been flirting with these online :

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710090127452



https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt3-991/porsche-911-gt3-rs-2dr-pdk/7651705


Are the usual suspects still around uncle Danny & Nick ?
_________________
José

Current:
993 Targa
996 C4S Tip
996 C4S Manual
VW Split 1965
Abarth 595 Tourismo
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
911TEL
Österreich


Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Posts: 977
Location: Inverness and Highlands

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: It’s been a while ! But hopefully I’m ready soon Reply with quote

j8fbr wrote:
Been away for quite a while due to selling the GTS last year Sad

Crap 18 months with my mum passing recently etc etc

Really miss our trackdays and Euro trips,

something keeps coming back to me won’t go away, a little voice in my head saying GT3 !

I really need to stop torturing myself so here goes :

Do I go for 997GT3RS or 991GT3RS ? I’m not a total track nut but would like to start it up again with a few trips next year. Usual suspects will know what I mean. Not too bothered about appreciation but don’t want to lose a load of money short term. Will they accept bitcoins
Floor Floor

I wish.

But seriously I have been flirting with these online :

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710090127452



https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt3-991/porsche-911-gt3-rs-2dr-pdk/7651705


Are the usual suspects still around uncle Danny & Nick ?


Both tremendous cars , what a difficult choice if that’s the final shortlist.....

Both quite different and I can see the beauty in each of them ...........

I was really tempted with a 991GT3RS in OPC Leicester last year ..a beautiful car and the cabin is a great place to be .....I decided against it and didn’t allow myself to even drive it in case I was tempted ...

....but tbh... I opted to keep my 997 for now and bought a Cayman GT4 in the end as I had always hoped that a more powerful Cayman would be available , ever since I bought my first one ...( it needed more power) ....I’m not able ( geographically ) to get track day time really so the road car is the better option in my case ...

Good luck in making that decision ...keep us posted on your choice ....

😎
_________________
Cayman GT4 Carmine red .. at last it gets the goodies it should have....
997 Gen 2 Turbo S Basalt Black -BBS CHR, Kline inconel exhaust, Polished Bliss air freshener...
Cayenne S diesel 850 N/ m torque!!!! Jet black
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Stuart
General
General


Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Posts: 5046
Location: Waterworld

2004 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time, good to see you've finally seen the light...

Danny and Nick will no doubt chime in at some point.

Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
HSC911
Paul Ricard


Joined: 23 Jul 2014
Posts: 3287
Location: Bedford


PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are stunning... Mr. Green

On looks alone, I would go with the Purple Rain worship

Thumb








 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Stuart
General
General


Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Posts: 5046
Location: Waterworld

2004 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and just FYI, my $.02, Unless you're going to 991.2 I would stick with the epic Mezger 997, even though that purple looks fantastic.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Senoj
Zolder


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 5033
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jose, both of those are shoite, steer well clear pal.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Senoj
Zolder


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 5033
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

991. Superb Motor car. You will slaughter all your pals on track, unless they have one as well....could be a bit lonely out there, probably topped and sliding on the value side, sheer numbers vs punters.when you slide off the track you will be going very fast indeed.

997.2 Im biased obviously. Much harder to extract a lap time from, more engaging to drive because of the manual box but requires you learn how to drive it. you will have fast caterhams and other 996/997 GT 3’s to play with. Possibly could go up still (long term 5 to 10 yrs) far less of them about.


Both a bit posh for a track car.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
NXI20
Approved Trader


Joined: 02 Feb 2008
Posts: 3246
Location: South Bucks

2004 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ What Danny said

Welcome back, Jose thumbsup

The downside of tracking an RS of any stripe is that very few people are doing it any more due to the cost of insurance & general worries of putting miles on it and affecting the prospects of achieving top money at some point when you sell.

The 991 is too easy & forgiving to drive fast & is relatively uninvolving compared to the earlier cars. On top of that, the RWS is proving to be alarmingly fragile when the car is tracked, never mind the engine woes that have plagued the 991 GT cars.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to buy a 997.2 GT3 instead of the 7.2 RS - half the price, 95% of the capability. Spend another few grand on sensible upgrades & you'll be at the same level as an RS on a track.
_________________
Nick
Need Alcon discs or Pagid pads? https://uber9s.com

2004 GT3 CS in Atlas Grey with too many mods to list!
1995 993 GT2 recreation in Polar Silver
2010 GT3 CS in Riviera Blue Smile
1978 Carrera SC Barn Find in Red (restoration project)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
BChivs
Monza


Joined: 02 Aug 2017
Posts: 180



PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NXI20 wrote:
^^ What Danny said

Welcome back, Jose thumbsup

The downside of tracking an RS of any stripe is that very few people are doing it any more due to the cost of insurance & general worries of putting miles on it and affecting the prospects of achieving top money at some point when you sell.

The 991 is too easy & forgiving to drive fast & is relatively uninvolving compared to the earlier cars. On top of that, the RWS is proving to be alarmingly fragile when the car is tracked, never mind the engine woes that have plagued the 991 GT cars.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to buy a 997.2 GT3 instead of the 7.2 RS - half the price, 95% of the capability. Spend another few grand on sensible upgrades & you'll be at the same level as an RS on a track.


If I was lucky enough to be in your shoes I would be inclined to agree.

For Euro road trips plus the odd tracks sesh there's not much a GT3 won't do, and will save you a load of cash,
This one has very little miles and is a nearly new car yet a saving of £80k.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711241541980
_________________
996C4S, manual, Polar Silver, Black Crested Leather with memory option, BOSE, factory PSE, sunroof delete, Rear Park assist, Litronics, Carbon interior Pack, Silver dials, RUF lowered.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
NXI20
Approved Trader


Joined: 02 Feb 2008
Posts: 3246
Location: South Bucks

2004 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BChivs wrote:

This one has very little miles and is a nearly new car yet a saving of £80k.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711241541980


That's a ridiculous price for a comfort in a boring colour from a non-OPC. You'll be able to buy a Clubsport for less than that & it's much more suited to trackdays. Also, don't get too hung up on low miles if you're going to use it as you'll just be driving money out of it.
_________________
Nick
Need Alcon discs or Pagid pads? https://uber9s.com

2004 GT3 CS in Atlas Grey with too many mods to list!
1995 993 GT2 recreation in Polar Silver
2010 GT3 CS in Riviera Blue Smile
1978 Carrera SC Barn Find in Red (restoration project)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MJA911
Magny-Cours


Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 2507
Location: Berkshire

2006 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gen2 very complete and carry their prices well, but that one does look expensive, too close to 991 prices even with that mileage IMO and whilst its a road spec'd car, it doesn't seem to have the little comforts like full leather, PCM nav or cruise. Lovely looking though and black isn't boring! Cool
_________________
Previous 996.1 C4, 997.1 C2S, 993 C2, 997.2 C4S
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Diggermeister
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 26 May 2015
Posts: 292



PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding insurance, Mannings reckon the big step up is £100k vehicle value. Below that, annual and track (even Nurburgring) cover is relatively sensible.

However, that said, if you have the budget and are happy with insurance costs, the 997.2 RS is an utterly stunning motor.

Possibly the most stunning colour combo: https://www.jzmporsche.com/used-vehicle-details/Porsche-911-U1347/
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Senoj
Zolder


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 5033
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggermeister wrote:
Regarding insurance, Mannings reckon the big step up is £100k vehicle value. Below that, annual and track (even Nurburgring) cover is relatively sensible.

However, that said, if you have the budget and are happy with insurance costs, the 997.2 RS is an utterly stunning motor.

Possibly the most stunning colour combo: https://www.jzmporsche.com/used-vehicle-details/Porsche-911-U1347/


Was never keen on the 2RS in undercoat grey. Laughing
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911UK
Porsche Community
Porsche Community


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 9233
Location: 911UK

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senoj wrote:
991. Superb Motor car. You will slaughter all your pals on track, unless they have one as well....could be a bit lonely out there, probably topped and sliding on the value side, sheer numbers vs punters.when you slide off the track you will be going very fast indeed.

997.2 Im biased obviously. Much harder to extract a lap time from, more engaging to drive because of the manual box but requires you learn how to drive it. you will have fast caterhams and other 996/997 GT 3’s to play with. Possibly could go up still (long term 5 to 10 yrs) far less of them about.


Both a bit posh for a track car.


Haha, 997.2 harder to extract a lap time! try that in a 996.2 GT3 or 996 RS

these makes the 997.2 RS seem like an F1 car
_________________
Get a Porsche Car Insurance Quote


FOLLOW 911UK ON FACEBOOK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
j8fbr
Barcelona


Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 1305
Location: Surrey


PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys and glad to see your still about ( where’s Gav ) no WiFi on his private island.

I’m not too bothered about miles if the right one came up and can’t be bothered to go through the photo galleries of the ring to see if its been tracked.
_________________
José

Current:
993 Targa
996 C4S Tip
996 C4S Manual
VW Split 1965
Abarth 595 Tourismo
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
nick w
Zolder


Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 5166
Location: Kent

2010 Porsche 997 GT3 RS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jose, longtime no speak !. What to buy ?...well for my 2p worth, I’ve had
the gen 2 997 (you might remember that one from the May Ring trip 2010’),
the gen 2 3RS (which I still have) and the 991 GT3 RS. As the boys have said
already, the 991 was ballistically quick everywhere, easy to drive fast and tbh
a bit soulless. The gen 2 GT3 just needed a few decent suspension tweaks to
really make it work...but it doesn’t have the lower gearing or extra tyre width
of the gen 2 3RS. That car has got and will always have the ‘wow factor’.
The GT4 is a great toy, but it’s long gearing and slightly asmatic engine rule
it out of contention here. Thumb

Happy Xmas mate !
_________________
981 Cayman GT4 Club Sport
991 GT3 RS 2016
997 GT3 RS gen 2 2010
997 GT3 gen 2 2010
997 carrera 4s cab, power kit
993 carrera 4 cab
964 carrera 4 cab
911 carrera
911 sc sport
911 sc sport targa
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Maxie
General
General


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 8377
Location: London


PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Jose! Genuinely nice chap missed from the forum these days. thumbsup Belated condolences on the family front. However, it seems you're back with a bounce and ready to join in the banter on here. Hope the business is keeping you well.

~ Maxie Smile
_________________
Currently Porscheless
2013 Jaguar XJL 3.0 V6 Supercharged
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Disco
Estoril


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3663
Location: Hertfordshire

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really going to actually have it do some serious track work, there is merit in proposing that what you really ought to be looking for is a 997.1 Clubsport and have the suspension tweaked. According to the main dealer search you can even get one of those from an OPC with warranty and so on for <£93k, and that might well be where the most bang for buck can be had at the moment. At the same time, this also keeps it below the 6 figure threshold and you will not be driving value out of it by using it either. Not as good a road car as the Gen 2, but there certainly is a value case for them at the moment.

Oh - and welcome back compadre Thumb
_________________
Colin

Black 997 GT3 3.8 CS - Acquired for the 2012 season and beyond
Black 996 GT3 Mk2 - Gone, but will never be forgotten
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
LaSource
Nürburgring


Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 410



PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad that the RS cars have become trophy/investment cars. If you track one then you are the only one putting miles on yours...the rest of the market is standing still.

Separately it also shows you how the recent flock of very expensive (£250k+) track cars are a bit of an anomaly in being a bit too expensive to track!
_________________
997 GT3 RS 3.8
996 GT3 RS
996 GT3 Mk2 Clubsport
KTM XBOW RR Superlight Spec
BMW E39 M5, BMW E46 M3
Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE

Previous:
981 GT4 3.8 Clubsport
997 GT3 RS 4.0, 997 GT3 RS 4.0, 997 GT3 RS 3.8
996 GT3 RS, 996 GT3 Mk2 Clubsport
996 GT3 Mk2 Comfort
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum