Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bag Of Spanners Rattle - Slowly Getting Worse

Jam911

Albert Park
My car is developing a "bag of spanners" rattle.

It has been getting slightly worse over the past few months.

It is not the engine and it is running fine.

I think is is heat shields corroding, has anyone had this problem?

And how much to fix please?

Thanks

Sound like them, especially if they rattle the most when you pull off at low revs and in reverse. Cheapest supplier is OPC every time, from memory only £20 a side but its been a few years since i replaced mine but while you are there changing them out get some SS bolts to attach them with, as the old ones will be rusty and the hardest part about replacing them is removing the bolts. If you want a alternative solution that wont corrode i believe Alternative Car Parts have started manufacturing them in a different material although i don't have any experience of these they were just pushing them last time i purchased from them :thumb:

Thanks , it sounds like the coil pack heat shields.

Did you change them yourself?

yep easy job if the bolts are ok, start spraying them with DW40 now to give a chance to work before the weekend. There was a thread about changing them a couple of years back which gave the bolt sizes i will see if i can find it

Exhaust brackets crack and can cause rattles , tail pipes as well .

Ive bent these away to stop the rattleing and show what it is that crack .

Attachments

• exhaust_409.jpg
    exhaust_409.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 2,497
I had this last year, it was one of the PSE actuator rods which had snapped, so the butterfly valve was flapping about inside the exhaust

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back