Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When to replace battery, winter or spring

Windy101

My 997.1 GT3 is in hibernation now till march.

I live in Scotland and there is plenty of salt down already.

My problem is the battery is not holding charge, its dropping to 9 Volts after a week off the charger. Is it stupid to replace it now while it is in storage, or can a dead or dying battery cause more problems?

The car is under OPC extended warranty, so I will replace with a official battery even though I know they are not the best.

Either disconnect it as suggested or replace it now.

Leaving a failed or failing battery on a smart charger can be dangerous. The battery can start to 'gas' i.e. give off hydrogen and then explode in the vehicle whilst unattended or in your face as you disconnect the charger. Not a chance I would want to be taking.

Its probably the battery but it could also be a small electrical discharge causeing the battery to go flat .

Need an amp draw test to confirm.

If the batterys covered under warrenty ( less than 2 years old , date stamp is on the pole .. ie something like 16 / 46 year 16 week 46 ) then get it done now .

If not and you replace it now you will loose .. what .. 6 monthes of the warrenty for the battery .. but from the sounds of it if you leave it it will be totally dead and so a jump start or a recover job im guessing .

Demort said:
Its probably the battery but it could also be a small electrical discharge causeing the battery to go flat .

Need an amp draw test to confirm.

If the batterys covered under warrenty ( less than 2 years old , date stamp is on the pole .. ie something like 16 / 46 year 16 week 46 ) then get it done now .

If not and you replace it now you will loose .. what .. 6 monthes of the warrenty for the battery .. but from the sounds of it if you leave it it will be totally dead and so a jump start or a recover job im guessing .

It was me that killed the battery, left the lights on. Had to pop open the frunk using a battery pack after wards. It did charge back up fine after would start the car fine, just will not hold a charge for days on end. I think I need to just buy a new battery.

Yup .. im afraid batterys dont like going totally flat .. they tend to die so it does sound like its the battery .

If it helps ive been told the latest Moll batterys with the red tops are far better than the early ones .. and i know from experince the old ones were made of chocolate !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back