Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

On the rise? opinions please.

RXP.

Afternoon chaps.

So are the 997 prices on the rise? Private sellers are pitching at sensible prices however Indys are now offering good gen1s at base gen 2 prices?

So far my thought process has been.

Go for C2S Private, called a few didn't feel very confident in the responses.

Up budget to C2s From indy, wow these are pricey hey look can get a C4S for similar money from indys.

Wait so a gen 2 is only a few k more? ok sure.

Now I feel like psychologically i have forced myself to subscribe to the notion that a 997.1 c2s for c4s simply isnt for me when a 997.2 is now in my budget?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated it.

I can see why the well known indys are pushing up the prices of the 997.1. Trade price is serious low and the spread from what they buy at to their forecourt prices are circa 5 to 10k.

However the voice in my head is suggesting that if there is a cloud hanging over the 997.1 with bore and ims issues now, then there still will be when it comes time to sell in the future?

Should I wait for a nice gen 2 manual to pop up at a reasonable price?

Or are they going up and essentially becoming borderline unattainable?

They are all getting pushed up by increases in the value of the 996 which was obvious as it wasn't right you could by a 911 for under 10k those that got one were lucky and perfect timing.

I would say there seems to have been a min 5k shift up in everything in the last 12months and a lot more on the GT and turbos.

now seeing 996 early mid 20k 997.1 mid high 20k up to early 30k and the gen2 38k to 50k

Phil 997 said:
They are all getting pushed up by increases in the value of the 996 which was obvious as it wasn't right you could by a 911 for under 10k those that got one were lucky and perfect timing.

I would say there seems to have been a min 5k shift up in everything in the last 12months and a lot more on the GT and turbos.

now seeing 996 early mid 20k 997.1 mid high 20k up to early 30k and the gen2 38k to 50k

Hey Phil,
Some indies have 997.1s around 35k with base gen 2s starting around where you mentioned. do you see the gen 2s shifting to start at say 40ish anytime soon?

Or do you see them staying fairly static or even climbing?

I have recently gone through the same thought process as you. It took me about a year to find my first Porsche C2S, which l purchased 4 months ago. After reading everything l could find on the 997.1 and all their issues l decided to go for a 997.2. I simply could not live with the risk of my pride and joy going bang. Like many l started with a £25000 budget which crept upwards as l learned about the 997.
The essentials for me were:
Warranty
Condition
Manual
PSE
Colour
The only thing on my list not ticked was the colour. My car is Macademia metallic which is litteraly a Marmite colour as you either love it or hate it. I personally love it and l,m ready for all you haters, bring it on.
Then where to buy from:
OPC (too expensive)
Indy
Private
I finally went for a private sale with an OPC transferable warranty. Got a PPl done before parting with any cash. I have now owned it for 4 months and absolutely love it. Good luck with your future purchase, you will love it.

PanozGTR said:
I have recently gone through the same thought process as you. It took me about a year to find my first Porsche C2S, which l purchased 4 months ago. After reading everything l could find on the 997.1 and all their issues l decided to go for a 997.2. I simply could not live with the risk of my pride and joy going bang. Like many l started with a £25000 budget which crept upwards as l learned about the 997.
The essentials for me were:
Warranty
Condition
Manual
PSE
Colour
The only thing on my list not ticked was the colour. My car is Macademia metallic which is litteraly a Marmite colour as you either love it or hate it. I personally love it and l,m ready for all you haters, bring it on.
Then where to buy from:
OPC (too expensive)
Indy
Private
I finally went for a private sale with an OPC transferable warranty. Got a PPl done before parting with any cash. I have now owned it for 4 months and absolutely love it. Good luck with your future purchase, you will love it.

Macademia is a very nice colour. Rare too.

RXP. said:
Phil 997 said:

Hey Phil,
Some indies have 997.1s around 35k with base gen 2s starting around where you mentioned. do you see the gen 2s shifting to start at say 40ish anytime soon?

I think the 3.8 will and the 3.6 will be had around 35k ish
there are a few 4S gen 1 around mid 30k but unless very very low miles the C2S gen1 GOOD SPEC with ave miles seems to be sitting high 20k.
There are always the odd exceptions like the early GEN2 with 79k miles that I saw listed at 28k yesterday, Gone today and not surprised.
:thumb:

Phil 997 said:
RXP. said:
Phil 997 said:

Hey Phil,

there are a few 4S gen 1 around mid 30k but unless very very low miles the C2S gen1 GOOD SPEC with ave miles seems to be sitting high 20k.
There are always the odd exceptions like the early GEN2 with 79k miles that I saw listed at 28k yesterday, Gone today and not surprised.

A gen 2 manual on 79k for 28k? I have literally been checking pistonheads and autotrader on an hourly basis how on earth did I miss that?

Damn.

So I would be wise to wait for a possible 35kish gen 2?

RXP. said:
Phil 997 said:
RXP. said:
Phil 997 said:

Hey Phil,

A gen 2 manual on 79k for 28k? I have literally been checking pistonheads and autotrader on an hourly basis how on earth did I miss that?

Damn.

It was on Ebay lol

Its a difficult one as I am in the camp the doesnt think borescore is as big an issues as the internet has you think and I think it only happens to a very small % of cars .
But there is no denying that the gen2 is a more sophisticated car but the gen1 is a more raw car so it really depends on what you want from your 911

What would I personally do well in all honesty this
If I had a max budget of 30k I would be buying a gen1 good spec newer than 06 so IMS isnt an issue get it borescoped and if clean then run it on millers oil and follow the other recommended procedures to minimise risk.
This is exactly what I did and owned my gen1 for 4 years doing 50k miles in that time selling it with 89k on the clock and a clean Borescope..

If I had a budget of 32/35k max I would be looking for a 3.6 gen2

If my budget could stretch to 38k or even 40k I would be getting a Gen2 3.8

I am not the type to have 28k and keep saving until I had 38k only to find they went up in price . I would buy what I could at the time with the 28k I had.

I loved my gen1 and won't hear bad words said about them. there were hundreds of thousands made and a tiny % have an issue do your PPI due diligence and then enjoy whichever car you decide to go for. :thumb: :thumb: If you can afford a Gen2 then do it , but drive both as the gen1 is a more raw machine and it may be just want you want. :grin:

Phil 997 said:
RXP. said:
Phil 997 said:
RXP. said:
Phil 997 said:

Hey Phil,

Damn.

It was on Ebay lol

Its a difficult one as I am in the camp the doesnt think borescore is as big an issues as the internet has you think and I think it only happens to a very small % of cars .
But there is no denying that the gen2 is a more sophisticated car but the gen1 is a more raw car so it really depends on what you want from your 911

What would I personally do well in all honesty this
If I had a max budget of 30k I would be buying a gen1 good spec newer than 06 so IMS isnt an issue get it borescoped and if clean then run it on millers oil and follow the other recommended procedures to minimise risk.
This is exactly what I did and owned my gen1 for 4 years doing 50k miles in that time selling it with 89k on the clock and a clean Borescope..

If I had a budget of 32/35k max I would be looking for a 3.6 gen2

If my budget could stretch to 38k or even 40k I would be getting a Gen2 3.8

I am not the type to have 28k and keep saving until I had 38k only to find they went up in price . I would buy what I could at the time with the 28k I had.

I loved my gen1 and won't hear bad words said about them. there were hundreds of thousands made and a tiny % have an issue do your PPI due diligence and then enjoy whichever car you decide to go for. :thumb: :thumb: If you can afford a Gen2 then do it , but drive both as the gen1 is a more raw machine and it may be just want you want. :grin:

As always, Excellent advice. thanks

Phil 997 said:
....... I loved my gen1 and won't hear bad words said about them. there were hundreds of thousands made and a tiny % have an issue .....

Actually it's only about 108,000 iirc :wink:

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate. :hand:

I reckon there's about 6,000 out there (worldwide) to avoid completely.

Good advice Phil! I had my 2006 manual 4S for 4 years used it as a daily, a great car. Don't let the bad luck stories put you off but as Phil says get it checked!! Good luck with the search

If you have the budget, go for the gen 2 every time. If you don't have the budget for a gen 2, buy a gen 1 with your eyes open and enjoy it. Neither car is really going to be a long term investment like a GT or turbo unless you buy a ridiculously low miler and lock it away forever. On the flip side don't buy a car which scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

When I bought my gen 1, the price difference between gen 1 and 2 was over £10k - money I simply didn't have at the time sitting around! I figured that I could enjoy owning and driving a fabulous car rather than trying to save the extra cash for a later version trying to avoid an engine rebuild. In hindsight this seems to have been a good move as a 997.2 C2S manual cabrio is a rare and expensive beast, the price difference is now at least that of an engine rebuild and good cars from dealers are still going up in price seemingly. Just make sure you carry a piece of wood around to touch before every journey in a gen 1 and you'll be fine!

Right now the sweet spot is either a really well loved gen 1 with an engine rebuild done or a clean borescope for mid to high 20's (if you can find one), but better still would be a well specified 997.2 C2 for mid 30's. Don't hold out for an S model unnecessarily, especially not a gen 2.

T8 said:
Phil 997 said:
....... I loved my gen1 and won't hear bad words said about them. there were hundreds of thousands made and a tiny % have an issue .....

Actually it's only about 108,000 iirc :wink:

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate. :hand:

I reckon there's about 6,000 out there (worldwide) to avoid completely.

:floor: :floor: :worship: OK your right about gen1 :grin: and I also think your spot on with avoid numbers 5% ish :thumb:

Actually it dawned on me earlier (whilst half watching TV) that it's not the 5% that need to be avoided as the 'issue' has already affected them and most of them are probably better cars now than they were originally.

The ones to worry about are the unknown quantity that are still to be problematic. Sadly it's that 'lottery' that makes it difficult for many to recommend an M96 engined car.

Going back to the original question ....... All variants of the 997 have risen in value over the last 12 months. Whether any Carrera will continue to rise in 2018 ....... :dont know: ....... but personally I'd be surprised if they did.

The increase in desirability for the entry level 911 (the 996) has pushed asking prices of them up which has had a knock-on effect on even very ordinary 997s. As depreciation of the 991 has been relatively slow over the same time period asking prices for good 997s has risen significantly.

I'm of the opinion that current values of all water-cooled Carreras is about where they will stay for sometime.

At the various price points they all offer similarly excellent value for money.

We keep hearing how the prices will level and fall. Not happening. I was out of the game for 2 years and as a result I needed to pay an extra 5 k on top of 2 years ago, thats the actual reality. For a turbo or GTS thats 15-25k extra in the same timeframe.
Gen 1 997 have always been to cheap IMHO and are heading where they should always have been. As others have said not for me, but still a desirable usable supecar.
I worried over my recent purchase from an OPC (997.2 C4S) (with discount circa 51500) however with the rarity and desirability im not over worried now re future value, reason being there was a similair car to mine just sold through an indie (up at 59,995).
OP IMHO get in as soon as you can, if you get a gen 1, get a late model and just get one with an OPC warranty and all the sleepless nights go away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back