Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 993 Alarm System

stichill99

When I bought my 993 it came with a Cobra Alarm system with both key fobs not working which means I have to use the master over ride thing to disable the alarm before starting. I have bought Tores T Lock system for opening the doors as I was sick of fiddling about in the dark trying to hit the keyhole.
I thought I had read on a build thread that you could piggy back Tores system onto an alarm but after asking him he said that is not possible.
Could anyone recommend a simple system that would work alongside the T Lock?

With our cars worth what they are it makes sense to fit a good system. The 994 has a Clifford (complicated). The 993 has the factory alarm plus an immobiliser (Sterling) and the T-lock. You should be able to get new remotes for the Cobra.

Alarm

The factory alarm has never worked in my ownership. I suppose it would be the cheapest option to get new Cobra fobs. I was really hoping for a single fob to open doors and disable alarm to save my trouser pocket bulging like Dirk Diggler :bye:

The Clifford does that but it's expensive and a bit complicated. I also hoped the T-lock would activate an alarm system so I fitted a touch immobiliser and the factory alarm still works of a fashion. Perhaps the Porsche Classic system when it comes out but I bet that's an arm and a leg. My old HP sytem got waterlogged and left me stranded so that went in the bin.

Re: Alarm

stichill99 said:
The factory alarm has never worked in my ownership. I suppose it would be the cheapest option to get new Cobra fobs. I was really hoping for a single fob to open doors and disable alarm to save my trouser pocket bulging like Dirk Diggler :bye:

Your Cobra is overriding your original factory fitted alarm system.
Mine had the dealer fitted PA1000 system as well as a Lazerline, both of which were old and crap and causing a whole heap of trouble.

I had the whole caboodle removed (you wouldn't believe the amount of rubbish that came out), fitted the T Lock (lovely neat system), original Porsche system works fine with it, flashing red lights come on on the door caps showing activation.
Happy days!
:thumb:

HPNer said:
stichill99 said:

Your Cobra is overriding your original factory fitted alarm system.
Mine had the dealer fitted PA1000 system as well as a Lazerline, both of which were old and crap and causing a whole heap of trouble.

I had the whole caboodle removed (you wouldn't believe the amount of rubbish that came out), fitted the T Lock (lovely neat system), original Porsche system works fine with it, flashing red lights come on on the door caps showing activation.
Happy days!
:thumb:
So did you remove the alarm system completely? From what I can work out, the T lock is just a keyless door entry system and powers the old alarm lights and door locks??....Correct?

angry said:
So did you remove the alarm system completely? From what I can work out, the T lock is just a keyless door entry system and powers the old alarm lights and door locks??....Correct?

Yep, parts of the old PA1000 hadn't been removed when the Lazerline was put in, so that was removed as was the Lazerline kit.
I got so pissed off with having to keep plipping the fob if the ignition had been off for 20 seconds or so and I was concerned that being an old system if it failed I was going to be left high and dry somewhere.
The T-Lock is simply a remote activator for the central locking system with no alarm function. The 993 does however have a factory alarm system which is perfectly sufficient for my needs, the T-Lock activates the original Porsche factory fit alarm/immobilizer when the central lock is engaged.
If someone wants my car badly enough, no amount of fancy alarms are going to stop them. I do have a tracker however which will let me know the moment it is being moved, which might help.

I had a Toad alarm fitted to my car back in 2010 when I imported it into the UK. I needed to have a Thatcham Cat 1 for Insurance purposes.

Although my car had central locking, it did not have a remote fob, the car was opened and closed on the key. However, once the new alarm was fitted I had a remote fob which was great. The original Porsche alarm is still there and works, I have not had any issues having the two. With my car being a cab the Toad came with a microwave sensor so if anyone was to slash the hood the alarm will go off. It has also gone off when a passer-by has decided to have a look into my car and rested their hand on the soft top, is usually frightens the s**t out of them when it goes off :D

ATB :)

Like others I also had all the old system removed (a 20 year old box of electronics gave me no "sense of security"). Mine has been replaced by an integrated Cobra Alarm and MetaTrak Tracker. Single click does alarm and locks. All the original LEDs have been retained and work correctly for the new system. Motion sensors inside car replaced with modern units in same place, so you can't actually see any difference.

HPNer said:
angry said:

Yep, parts of the old PA1000 hadn't been removed when the Lazerline was put in, so that was removed as was the Lazerline kit.
I got so pissed off with having to keep plipping the fob if the ignition had been off for 20 seconds or so and I was concerned that being an old system if it failed I was going to be left high and dry somewhere.
The T-Lock is simply a remote activator for the central locking system with no alarm function. The 993 does however have a factory alarm system which is perfectly sufficient for my needs, the T-Lock activates the original Porsche factory fit alarm/immobilizer when the central lock is engaged.
If someone wants my car badly enough, no amount of fancy alarms are going to stop them. I do have a tracker however which will let me know the moment it is being moved, which might help.

Totally agree, will do the same :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back