Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water Pump

chrisbill86

Hi All,

I think I've had a pretty big water pump failure, luckily was just pulling into my street and the temp went over 120 the warning came up check the levels and do not drive on it was a red warning and I'd never seen a amber warning prior. I've parked it just down the road shoul be safe tonight. Had a quick look under and it was leaking coolant.

I've had a water pump go on my old 997 at about 35k miles and I'm currently on 31k miles.

Does anyone know if this part is covered by the warranty, or is it classed as a consumable?

Cheers

C.

Actually looks like it's he thermostat according to the part number. I assume it has an in and an out in the routing.

Attachments

• img_9743_942.jpg
    img_9743_942.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,797
The OPC warranty excludes the following areas of the car :-
Wiper blades
Tyres
Brake pads and brake discs
Shock absorber
Clutch disc and clutch pressure plate
Drive belt including tensioning guide rails and roller
Spark plugs
Batteries
PDCC reservoir
Coolant
All light bulbs (excluding Xenon and LED-lamps)
All filters, fluids, oils and greases

As far as I can see, both the pump/thermostat are included, so you should be OK with a claim. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers DRZ, it's in now, picked up this morning they said they'll get to it tomorrow so I'll let you know what it was that went and if there was any issues with the warranty claim so everyone else knows for the future.

It was the clamp that failed on the in pipe to the thermostat causing a violent coolant leak. They said that Porsche have actually updated this part and they will replace as and when the old ones fail.

Might be worth getting it done next time your cars go in.

Gee at Porsche Centre Silverstone was top drawer! Good service from them!

Glad you got the issue sorted out under warranty. :thumb:

Porsche should not wait until the old style clamps fail before renewing them. Someones engine is going to melt....

rosco964 said:
Porsche should not wait until the old style clamps fail before renewing them. Someones engine is going to melt....

+1

Agree rosco964. But since when has Porsche worried about their customers once they have parted with their hard earned cash for one of their poorly designed/engineered products?

Call me a cynic, but Porsche will only do a campaign/recall when the cost of repairs for fix-on-failure and/or damaged engines exceed the cost of a widespread campaign/recall. Accountants rule in these sort of circumstances. :nooo:

For fear of telling everyone how to suck eggs, nothing beats an OPC warranty for these type of issues. However, in taking out extended warranties, we pay the cost of Porsche's penny pinching and design screw-ups. :x

chrisbill86 said:
I think I've had a pretty big water pump failure, luckily was just pulling into my street and the temp went over 120 the warning came up check the levels and do not drive on it was a red warning and I'd never seen a amber warning prior. I've parked it just down the road shoul be safe tonight. Had a quick look under and it was leaking coolant.

I've had a water pump go on my old 997 at about 35k miles and I'm currently on 31k miles.
Hi Chris, can't help you on the 991 issue but I've had the water pump go on my previous 997. It is a common fault on the Carrera Gen 1 cars and the part had to be re-designed with a whole new water pump. Hopefully the warranty on your 991 will have this covered.

~ Maxie :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back