Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Turbo - Engine Cover Crazing

v8fettler

Silverstone
Has anyone else with a 2010 997.2 Turbo had this issue?

When I bought the car, the whole rear end had been resprayed, bumpers, arches etc, but not the engine cover. This only highlighted even further a crinkling affect, mainly on the curved underside of the Spoiler, where the badge is.

I've now had the front end resprayed back to perfection, corrected and ceramic coated, and anything with a mark replaced (drag strip, and soon exhaust tips).

Someone with lots of knowledge about Porsche's told me he'd never seen it before, and qustioned the originallity of the cover. We looked all over it, and it seemed kosha, all original porsche parts attached, tamper paint all matching.

It's bugging me now, so I need to get it looked at, but has anyone else had this on theirs?

because of the complex shape, it has been suggested to me that the cover is made from Carbon, and this might be some weave showing through, but it doesnt look regular enough. Its hard to photograph, but I'll try posting a link later.

Cheers Chaps

I'm not sure if they paint the engine cover in the same sweep as the body. On my sky box I have the supervised episode where they talk about the making of the 997.2. I'll watch it tonight and see if they mount it for paint. I know they paint the petrol flap at the same time.
As I'm the 4th owner of my car it has a small bubble around the Porsche badge at the front. (Dealing with that and stone chips in the new year). Seeing as the bonnet is aluminium, then it can only be a bad prep issue underneath the paint. Perhaps yours is in a similar bucket?
Will advise on the paint this evening

I have issues with the paint on the engine cover and spoiler , I managed to wet sand most of it out and although it looks much much better I think I may repaint the cover and spoiler. My problem is is crazing/tramlines in the paint beneath the clear coat so I guess it's been repainted in the past although the OPC have no record of any such work. Any idea what the engine cover is made of, Steel,Aluminium or Fibreglass?

Tramlines, thats a pretty good description actually. What year is yours?

Has anyone ever tackled Porsche about it? if its underneeath the paint, then surely its a paint warranty issue, or further, unsuitable material selection (i.e. not fit for purpose?)

I read the post about kick plates and rust, ann the guy there was pretty successful with his claim at Small Claims, I've been a few times, and been fairly successful, so would probably seek the same route if they weren't willing to sort it. I just need to look in my book and see the wording of the warranty first.

If I have to fall back on 'Not Fit', itll be material selection for a component which shold behave like a steel or aluminium panel, but that has failed to do so. I dont mind an arguement, especially when its over a good few thousand pounds worht of work to sort it!

Cheers Chaps

My car is a 2010 in Basalt. I did mention the issue to the OPC where I purchased the car and they were unhelpful so I gave up. I looked all over the back of the car to see if there had been any accident repair as the engine cover is not prone to stone chips but could have been scratched I guess but found nothing , all looks original. I have seen this problem before on Fiberglass cars hence the question about what material the engine cover is made from. I mention the fact that the car is Black because the body panels get bloody hot in the summer and I first noticed the defect when washing the car during the first summer of ownership 5 years ago, and paint on Fiberglass panels can move about when subjected to heat.

seem to remember on 997 turbo door skins and bonnet aluminium and you are right boot lid fibreglass.

Edit.. just dug out 911& Porsche world May 2006 (New 997 turbo edition)

and it says 'Composite' rear Lid and wing which is 9.3% lighter than out going model.. so there you go!

vlad said:
seem to remember on 997 turbo door skins and bonnet aluminium and you are right boot lid fibreglass.

Edit.. just dug out 911& Porsche world May 2006 (New 997 turbo edition)

and it says 'Composite' rear Lid and wing which is 9.3% lighter than out going model.. so there you go!

Brilliant , thanks Vlad.

Thanks Chaps, I'll try my luck and see where I get!

Just need to look at the Warranty details inthe book first to see the full wording.

:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back