Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Feels like a new car again

yacht broker

My 2005 C2 was starting to feel a little sketchy at motorway speeds so I decided to take the plunge and give it a full rear suspension refresh. Apparently, there was nothing seriously amiss, but everything was just a little worn (in line with circa 65k of driving).

My local master mechanic fitted new lower wishbones along with upper and lower track arms and then a quick trip over to the rather excellent Christchurch Tyres for a full alignment and the car feels like a Porsche 911 again.

The whole shooting match wasn't hugely expensive (especially as my mechanic is charging me only £50.00ph) and the difference is huge.

I know that none of this is exactly revelationary, but it does serve as a reminder that sometimes something doesn't have to be drastically wrong/broken/worn to warrant some remedial action.

Now I'm slowly running out of things to do to the car... it's had a full engine rebuild, new oil cooler system, new coil-packs, new air-con rads, new tyres, rear suspension refresh etc etc... maybe I'll have to actually get on and drive it!

Just ensuring correct tyre pressure can make a car feel a load of difference. I hadn't checked mine and was out by a couple and it felt like I'd had a wheel knocked out of alignment

Are Christchurch tyres good prices mate or just handy for you.
sounds like a nice refresh of suspension . we often overlook these things and they make a big difference to the way these cars handle and drive. :thumb:

I really need to do this too as mine is a 54reg and the bushes are now all past the best. Unfortunately I'm still broke from paying for the engine rebuild (then I also tagged on the DSC group buy :roll:) so this may need to wait till next year... Will probably start at the front of the car and work my way back rather than do them all together just to spread the bill. :?:

Phil 997 said:
sounds like a nice refresh of suspension . we often overlook these things and they make a big difference to the way these cars handle and drive. :thumb:

Christchurch Tyres are great. They are used to dealing with proper cars and they are very price competitive. I paid £72.00 for the full alignment.

yacht broker said:
Phil 997 said:

Christchurch Tyres are great. They are used to dealing with proper cars and they are very price competitive. I paid £72.00 for the full alignment.

That seems a great price for an Alignment , will check them out . :thumb:

I did mine a few years back, big difference!

The rear upper dogbone links often get overlooked, mine were separating.

I sourced some low mileage from a 997 for mine, but you can buy new ones aftermarket now.

I did the rear track, forked and coffin arms too.

Well worth it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back