Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Milltek vs Top Gear Mufflers and Manifold questions

INWB

I don't think something has troubled me so much. Can you help? Yes I know I posted about exhausts some months ago and I still can't make a decision. But I have narrowed things down.

My C4S has the Gundo mod but the mufflers are wrecked and Carnewal can't help anymore. So I need new mufflers. I want a deep throaty loud sound without any harshness to it. Milltek seems the prefered option but would welcome thoughts on the Top Gear Sports. If the mufflers were good enough the money I would save compared to the Milltek/Designtek route would almost pay for some new CATs if needed (see below) or I could spend the money on some other preventative stuff.

My next issue is the manifolds. They seem okay but the metal gasket is shot. The bolts don't look too bad (you can see the shape below the rust) but then it could take 8 hours to replace (so I'm told) at £70 a hour. It isn't leaking (i think) but I have seen more robust pastry and want to get the car to A1 condition. Just not sure if to do it now. Thoughts?

I think I have decided against replacing the stock CATs but then I wonder if a 14 year old CAT is really good for the car. No signs of rust on them but...well you know....And if Alex did a deal......

Finally - just behind the manifold is a metal bracket with bolts into the block. It has small pipes to it but I have zero idea what they are. Anyway, the metal bracket is really rusty so if anyone knows what it is and what the part number is I would be grateful.

Many thanks

If it helps your decision, I too have a 996 C4S with rotting back boxes, also with the gundo hack. I shall be going top gear 200 cel cats and their normal boxes. Just haven't found the time to order them yet. I have been musing about what to fit for ages but sometimes you just have to grasp the nettle and make a decision, I was starting to annoy myself by farting around endlessly looking at different set ups. Since I made my decision, I am a happy bunny,just need to get my arse into gear and place the order with Alex.

That's exactly what I've just done - top gear 200 cell cats and their standard quieter silencers which are still a fair bit louder than a gundo hacked standard box once you open the car up a bit but its quiet at idle. Exactly what I was after.

Cant complain at all for the cost of them - good value but I'm perhaps not as pleased as some others on here when it comes to the build quality. The brackets weren't welded on 100% straight for the boxes (they are noticeably different between the 2 boxes) and as such trying to get the pipes to line up nice and centrally in the rear bumper was a real pain and I'd hoped for slightly better but then again what can I expect for under £1000 all in.

Oh as an aside, my O2 sensors were totally seized in - originally from back in 2002 so I guess they deserved to be changed. I have the proper tools to remove them but still couldn't get them out without destroying them. May be worth budgeting for some new ones if you're concerned they may be stuck.

I bought 4 new Bosch ones for about £220 - less than half the price of going to Porsche I think.

I would leave manifold alone unless its leaking. When the time comes, don't be paying £70 an hour for someone to wave a drill around. Borrow a jig and pay your local garage to do it.

Cats will be fine also for a long long time yet, they will well outlive the rest of the system.

Those "pipes" you describe are the exhaust box mounting brackets. Make sure you are sitting down when you ring the OPC for a price.

wasz said:
I would leave manifold alone unless its leaking. When the time comes, don't be paying £70 an hour for someone to wave a drill around. Borrow a jig and pay your local garage to do it.

Cats will be fine also for a long long time yet, they will well outlive the rest of the system.

Those "pipes" you describe are the exhaust box mounting brackets. Make sure you are sitting down when you ring the OPC for a price.

Thanks for the replies all. Re Manifolds. I just don't like rusty bits on my cars and if the mufflers are being changed it would make sense to do them as well - an extra £1K in parts and labour isn't that inspiring though! Saying that I wonder if I end up selling if the value would be firmer if it was yet another job done (like the rads, coffin arms etc etc etc)

I'm also a little uncertain if to risk the manifolds as I will be doing a 5000 mile European tour next year (depending on a couple of things).

Owning a 911 is like painting the 4th bridge.

Sounds like just the paint for underneath our cars, a sort of superior POR15?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back