Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Volkswagen Golf R for a weekend ....... hmmmmm

Jonathon555

A month or so ago i went to a black tie charity event supporting a good cause. As per normal they hold an auction of donated prizes of which i won four. 2 were porsche related , one was super car related the last was the use of a golf r for a weekend courtesy of vw dealer.

We picked the car up last friday dinner time and was not expecting much 5 door DSG

But by the end of sunday afternoon and 280 miles later , we were asking for a price on the demo car.

We have had plenty of hatches in the past from Renaultsport , Peugeot , Ford , VW etc

But the Golf R just ssemed to be a great allrounder, it was not the fastest car i have ever driven, nor the best handling. But it just seemed to be a mighty appealing package. I cant really describe what it is but its was just very good allround. The infotainment system was great compared to my new merc ( which is utter shite by any standard) , the dsg box was so smooth.

Anybody run one of these or have tried one ?

I ran one for two years. They are a superb hot hatch. Well built. All weather quick. Not as exciting as something like a 275 cup s but better all round. I'll be getting another as the family hack to replace our skoda Yeti in the new year but will try a clubsport edition 40 too as they are tempting and rare compared to the R.

I am quite pleased with my hot hatches. (A45 and the R). This is my 3rd one and the DSG gear box makes it better compared to the manuals.

Very impressed with the demo I drove, and like JB intend to replace our Yeti with one, probably an estate DSG.

I recently tested the Golf R dsg and the various competition.

I ended up going for an auto M140i BMW. It was the RWD characteristics that won it over for me. Much less planted feel though, especially in the wet.

My younger brother is now in a Golf R. He has taken his to stage 2 c.400hp. The launch control is insane and the way that DSG shift as just magic. I came very close to buying one as a daily. I am still tempted but like everyone on here I am constantly looking at cars for various different reasons but we can not buy them all.

If I needed a small hatch then for me nothing else is as good as the Golf R. A45 AMG is close but the golf is a better daily.

Worth looking at a GTI PP or Clubsport too.

Similar power to R in Clubsport form, lighter, more frugal, better looking especially in white or black with tartan interior, and a bit more fun. Not powerful in todays power arms race but always surprises me how quick they can be down a challenging road. Only downside is maybe a bit too easy to drive but for me thats why I always pick the GTIs keys up first. Love it to bits.

991.1GT3 and Golf R as a daily here. The Golf is a great car I think.

Regards
Fred

Update

Golf R 5 door dsg ordered last week

Now a long wait .....

Yummy :thumb:

They are very good cars.

I've driven a mates before and was impressed.

There was a lease deal for the R estate last week for £150 +vat (5k miles)
So £180 all in. Probs £200 with a more realistic mileage allowance.

I was tempted but the timing isn't ideal.

Marky911 said:
They are very good cars.

I've driven a mates before and was impressed.

There was a lease deal for the R estate last week for £150 +vat (5k miles)
So £180 all in. Probs £200 with a more realistic mileage allowance.

I was tempted but the timing isn't ideal.

I was tempted by this too. Thing is though I'd want at least stage 2 c.400hp. Not sure nodding a lease car is the done thing.

Jonathon555 said:
Update

Golf R 5 door dsg ordered last week

Now a long wait .....

Good move! Hopefully you will enjoy it 👍

I've got one (R Estate DSG) and its god at what it does....mine is mostly sat on the motorway at not very fast speeds but does have some country lane fun.

For the price when I needed a car after someone drove into my other one it was hard to beat. I'm 18 months into my 2 year/24k mile lease at an amortised £254/month.

It's competent, reliable well specced even in basic trim and has been fine thus far. Even the service wasn't too bad (£211) and I wont need tyres or brakes in the lease so cheap motoring

I have got the Seat leon Cupra R 290 which is an R in diff body shell and interior and FWD only. same engine just diff badge and price. its chipped to 350 bhp and goes like the clappers. done 10k miles on it and it just trucks on with no issues.

FWD has been a bit tricky in this slippy cold weather but once in 2nd you are off.

the R and the leon are amazing cars. I really like the R estate as its a brilliant all rounder.

crazy finance deals on these things too. I got the Cupra 290 for £156 per month (!!!) with vehicle savers (https://www.vehiclesavers.com/ - ask for jack snare). £1500 down and that's 10k miles per year for 24 months with option to extend to another year or chop in for the facelift model.

crazy cheap money for good motoring and giggles. was a riot in wales on the brecons and evo triangle. even does good MPG - overall is about 34!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back