Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 MK1

ditchvisitor

Spa-Francorchamps
I thought I would stick up a thread of my new GT3 MK1, bought from 911V a few weeks ago, below is what I wrote the day I collected it....

I picked up the GT3 on a stunning, sunny, autumn afternoon, what can I say about this car.... it's an assault on the senses, from the rattly Mezger at tick over, to the epic noise as you go past 7k, it's like nothing else. The feedback through the steering wheel is sensational and you can just feel that given some time to get used to it and the right road it will be amazing. Everything about the car is so analogue, the steering is light but direct, the clutch is quite heavy and the gear change is firm but positive, the diff grumbles in load speed turns and it does feel like an 18 year old car in some respects, but this one drives like a new car!

I'm sure the newer GT3's would run rings round it but that's not the point, I finally get why people hold the 996 GT3's in such high regard, it's the end of an era in terms of driver interaction and and I genuinely feel privileged to be able to own one.

jTC3V7I.jpg

dszrRzq.jpg

4JjWuu5.jpg

So this weekend I'm giving the car a good clean before it probably doesn't get used for a while with all the salt arriving on the roads. I've taken the Recaro bucket seat pads out and given them a good clean with Gliptone cleaner and then conditioner, it's made a massive difference already and I'm planning on giving them a couple more goes with the conditioner. I've also done the same to the seats in the car and the few other leather bits.

fY9XUh7.jpg

My GT3 came from the factory with the CD holder at the front of the transmission tunnel under the dash. It was possible to order it without this, as it cleans the interior up a bit and importantly gives a bit more leg room, I've ordered the relevant parts and will collect them and fit them soon, watch this space.
After a recommendation I have ordered some gyeon q2 rim sealant and will be taking the wheels off for a thorough clean and seal.

A few jobs and some interior detailing done today, have polished and waxed one seat back and cleaned and conditioned all the leather.
Also done the same on the doors, the pic shows it a bit shiny as it the meg interior detail and glipton conditioner had only just been applied, it has dried to a much nicer finish.
iWU0t2e.jpg

e2pffkZ.jpg

tbuT2CI.jpg

fFi1EHl.jpg

NqqIhyq.jpg

So today I've taken the drivers seat out to give it the same treatment, I've given the carpets a good hoover and the seat bases have all been cleaned up. I've also replaced the drivers seat with the passenger seat as it will a: mean I can put it back in the garage, and b: will stop the drivers seat getting all the wear.

hk87Rtw.jpg

pIO4StQ.jpg

nZ8LlQv.jpg

6ie2P9P.jpg

Tqe5w54.jpg

BjCXaxv.jpg

Overall I am very very happy with the condition of what is a 18 year old, 40k mile car.

Loving your work! Looks factory fresh! :thumbs:

Loving the thread so far.

looks a beautiful car, bought from a great dealer. :thumb:

Lovely ain't they...

Get that centre tunnel out and painted :thumb:

They are amazing cars no doubt, on a track it will be proper.. but since I got my 993 I have forgotten all about the GT3.. :eek:

Nice thread you've got going here Mike.

Can't beat a bit of OCD!! :thumb:

I've just finished the 3rd application of conditioner to the drivers seat, again I'm very happy with how it's turned out, will get it back in the car when I can and then get on with sealing the wheels and giving the car a polish and wax. It looks shiny as I've only just applied it, however when it dries its matt.

sP5zr07.jpg

T0VRxqw.jpg

Really good work, love the idea of taking the seats out to clean them and underneath and envious that you can swap them over too, brilliant idea that! I'm sure you'll move on the the exterior in due course, even though I'm sure it in great nick as it is :thumb:

I headed over to Porsche Reading this afternoon to collect the GT3 centre console delete that I had ordered, for some strange reason mine came with them fitted!! I've carefully stored the original parts away.
From this:
ChOvkg6.jpg

To this:

ShEQ0HV.jpg

A6cHgwU.jpg

I personally think that it looks much better and much cleaner, I also worked out why my IPod connector for my Becker Grand Prix isn't working..... it's not connected to the back of the head unit! Once I get some tools to remove it I will get that fixed!
I also replaced the clutch foot rest that was broken and the offside bumper repeater, I mentioned both issues to 911Virgin and they had ordered them and sent them to me the next day, amazing customer service once again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back