Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Need a new car battery 996'TT

Gary996

Spa-Francorchamps
Please,can anyone recommend a battery and battery size for a 996 turbo the battery I had was a Bosch s5 and it is quit a small battery

Many thanks

Gary

How do you mean 'small' :?

The Bosch S5 is the one normally recommended on here.

See => Bosch S5 discussion

I've got the Bosch S5 110 85A, biggest you can get I believe, no issues with it, Eurocarparts currently have them at £209 but with 35% off.

I'd also recommend a CTEK trickle charger or equivalent of its left for more than 3 weeks at a time.

Sorry when I say small ...it just seems to have a lot of space tonthe left of the battery compartment and i was thinking perhaps a bigger battery could be fitted I believe Costco were doing the batteries and were reasonably priced

+1 for Costco - seem to remember that I paid about £100 for my Bosch S5

Gary996 said:
Sorry when I say small ...it just seems to have a lot of space tonthe left of the battery compartment and i was thinking perhaps a bigger battery could be fitted

You can buy an S5 for lots of different makes/models of cars. It sounds like your current one isn't meant for a 911. :dont know:

That could be the case

The one fitted currently is
Bosch's S5 007
12v 574 402 075
750A (EN) 74AH
0 092 S50 070

Is this ok ?

Thanks in advance

It should be a 110, part number 444771108 at Euro Car Parts

Gary996 said:
That could be the case

The one fitted currently is
Bosch's S5 007
12v 574 402 075
750A (EN) 74AH
0 092 S50 070

Is this ok ?

Thanks in advance

74 amp/hour is too small for a 996T. I have an S5 110 Ah version in mine, from ECP. About £100 from memory.

Jibaro said:
It should be a 110, part number 444771108 at Euro Car Parts

I got one of these two weeks ago for mine. Exide 444771100 110 80amp with lifetime warranty for £100 exactly.
It's made a huge difference too, turns over twice as fast as it's ever done in the two years I've owned the car.

A few of us with 996t 's have gone to 95 -100 A/hr 019 batteries that take up the whole battery tray. You may have to modify the tray slightly.

They only weigh around 3 kgs more than a 110 battery

I think the cranking amps are around 900.

This size is fitted in Sweden for example.

I would suggest, particularly over winter, you will be very happy you fitted one if you leave the car sitting for longer than a few weeks. :thumb:

I bought a 110 last year and it's only holding charge for about a week between drives.

I'm hoping it's a battery issue rather than an electric issue.

There is also the Varta F18 Silver.
The same internally as an S5 i'm told.

I had an F18 but it failed to hold charge over a week after a couole of years and the web site I bought it from wanted a test report confirming failure and, given that when charged it seemed fine, I was unsure if I sent it to them the test would be impartial.
So I went to Costco and bought an S4. I could have got the S5 but it was £34 dearer (£71 vs £105) for a fairly small increase in capacity and an extra years warranty. Two years in and it's fine.
The Cosco rep told me they warrant Bosch batteries for 5 years anyway.

Jay. said:
I bought a 110 last year and it's only holding charge for about a week between drives.

I'm hoping it's a battery issue rather than an electric issue.

If the battery is losing charge whilst driving it may be your alternator... that's what happened with mine...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back