Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 early C2 - Ownership/project thread (cobalt blue)

coullstar

Thought Id start a little thread to keep tabs on my ownership of the car.

Having previously owned a 996 C4s and Boxster S I was on the hunt for another 911. This came up locally and seemed good on paper but it took me 4-5 weeks to have a look at it. When I did I was a little hesitant as the bodywork was a little rougher than I hoped for. Thought about it for a few days then put in an offer that worked for me given work required and it was accepted. Id kind of wanted a little project to work on as well so wasn't looking for anything perfect.

Base spec of the car is Zenith blue, 3.4 cable throttle with sports seat black interior, M030, Sport Design wheels and factory LSD/TC set up.
Main thing for me was the engine had been replaced by local OPC in 2010 (bore scoring on cyl6) with a new one so its only done 30k on that engine, its an AT code so apparently it has the later non serviceable IMS bearing as well as a few other later changes.

Sadly the original gearbox gearbox was whining a lot so the gearbox was replaced with a good 3.4 unit with LSD, original was apparently so worn it was not doing anything. Clutch slave, new arm etc were all done at the same time just before I bought it.

So far Ive done 1000mile in the car and done the following:
- 9mm front spacer and 15mm rear spacer.
- Changed oil /filter out to Miller NT
- Cleaned and treated the leather.
- Cleaned and treated any small rust bubbles to prevent spreading.
- Door striker gaskets to prevent rust.
- Silicon intake hose to remove resonater. (didn't do as much as it did on my 3.6 C4s)

Issues so far are loose / detached AC pulley center which Ive removed and bought a new pump to put in.
Clutch has started slipping so looks like I'll need to do that soon (its on 90k miles) and looks like one of rear silencers is cracked so that needs welded. Ive also got a sticky tappet when cold so I'll monitor that but it seems better with new oil.

PLan is to keep it relatively standard but next upgrades after the clutch and flywheel expense is done are:

- Fit the LTT thermo Ive got sitting.
- OZ Alleggerrita 18in wheels in titanium.
- 200cel x-pipe cats mated to the Gembella silencers currently fitted.
- Sort paint - front bumper is quite bad but might just get both side done on the car so its all nice.
- Retro style side decal in matt grey to match wheels.
- Door mirrors replaced to tie into wheel and stripe colour.

That's about it then I think. Just drive and enjoy for a few years and then take stock.

Any feedback or suggestions welcome. I'll add some photos later as well.

I am really looking forward to hearing more about your car. I still think the early 996 is under appreciated as a great drivers car without all that electronic guff which came wth the later models.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I still think the early 996 is under appreciated as a great drivers car without all that electronic guff which came wth the later models.

MC

Here here! a car the DIY owner can work on and maintain without the intervention of dealers and uneccessary eletronic gubbins - and its a Porsche!

Del.

Some photos

Attachments

• img_20171008_150110_thumb_jpg_badf20e2b2bf30cac687b02449523303_913.jpg
    img_20171008_150110_thumb_jpg_badf20e2b2bf30cac687b02449523303_913.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 56,891
  • img_20170930_164638_937.jpg
    img_20170930_164638_937.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56,891
  • fuchs996_4f531416538467657e61a1914eff4bb8abab03ed_134.jpg
    fuchs996_4f531416538467657e61a1914eff4bb8abab03ed_134.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 56,891
Looking good Coulstar.

I look forward to seeing it develop. :thumb:

Ah! a new member to the 3.4 cable throttle manual C2 ferrous piston coating club!

Shame about your IMS bearing but 5 out 6 ain't bad! (you do have the ferrous piston coating, don't you?)

Car looks great, I was looking for that colour (well really anything not black or silver) when I bought my MY99 vesuvius c2.

wasz said:
Ah! a new member to the 3.4 cable throttle manual C2 ferrous piston coating club!

:grin:

I like it.
It just rolls off the tongue that Wasz.

wasz said:
Shame about your IMS bearing but 5 out 6 ain't bad! (you do have the ferrous piston coating, don't you?)

Car looks great, I was looking for that colour (well really anything not black or silver) when I bought my MY99 vesuvius c2.

Yeah I didn't want black or silver either. Ideally cobalt but I've really grown to like the colour, pictures really don't it justice.

To be honest I see the IMS as an advantage as far as I'm aware the very last one have very few issues as well so it's not an issue for me so I hopefully have best of both sides from bore scoring and IMS.

So rear bumper stripped off tonight to check exhaust and as I feared the tailpipe exit pipe coming from the silencer box has a hairline crack around so that will need welded.

I had to drill out every bolt head as they were all knackered so all new proper bolts used instead of Phillips screw heads and new speedbolts ordered as well.
Most of the exhaust bolts appear to have been part of the Titanic so not sure whether to just go and get the X-pipe and new cats now or wait as a really cool set of rare wheels are tempting me.

Good choice. I have a manual 99 C2 Coupe with MO30, LSD and no sunroof so I may be a little biased...

are those Dansk brand boxes perchance? Certainly not original.

Weld them if you are not keeping the car long, or replace if you are, nothing worse than doing a job twice.

When my originals went, I waited on eBay for as near to "new take off" exhausts out of someones garage. I scored one brand new and the other lightly used.

The OE exhausts for 996 c2 c4 c4s all years are the same, just the tips are different on the c4s. The 3.6 boxes are supposedly slightly less restrictive than 3.4

I figure the originals lasted 17 years, so compared to some of the aftermarket stuff like those, represent a better choice.

These are stainless Gemballa exhausts so trying to weld them up in situ to save breaking anything out. Other than the crack there in good condition.

If replacing I'd probably just got Topgear boxes with the x-pipe and 200cell cats.

So it seems I do have a replacement 3.4 box with LSD not the 3.6 as thought.

Contacted previous owner who had spoken to a breaker who had two boxes available, a 3.4 with LSD and a 3.6 but the 3.4 sold so they were to send the 3.6 box. However it seems they did indeed sent the 3.4 with LSD so the car retains the factory spec which is quite nice to have.

Attachments

• img_20171114_204139_192.jpg
    img_20171114_204139_192.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56,506

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back