Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 993 owner here! Some questions

911livin

Monza
Hi guys

I have now sold my GT3 and yesterday picked up 993 C2 manual.. :D its a night and day difference and I mean it in a good way, I grew up with old 911s so getting the 993 is like going back in time.. its wonderful. The smell of oil and heat..

I have lots planned with it so excited about all that, Ill post progress as and when. But 1st I have some questions for some of the pros here:

I know old 911 heaters are either too hot or too cold but mine seems to be stuck on hot.. really hot ALL the time. Dont matter what position I use the controls its flat out, but no sound of fan pushing the air out? Of course the faster I go the hotter it gets! Is there a fuse I can take out? or?

any advice help??

cheers

Mark

911livin said:
Hi guys

I have now sold my GT3 and yesterday picked up 993 C2 manual.. :D its a night and day difference and I mean it in a good way, I grew up with old 911s so getting the 993 is like going back in time.. its wonderful. The smell of oil and heat..

I have lots planned with it so excited about all that, Ill post progress as and when. But 1st I have some questions for some of the pros here:

I know old 911 heaters are either too hot or too cold but mine seems to be stuck on hot.. really hot ALL the time. Dont matter what position I use the controls its flat out, but no sound of fan pushing the air out? Of course the faster I go the hotter it gets! Is there a fuse I can take out? or?

any advice help??

cheers

Mark

Pictures of your car will no doubt ensure a faster response

nickjonesn4 said:
Pictures of your car will no doubt ensure a faster response

Attachments

• 23316837_10155789535295350_7745662816431133848_n_170.jpg
    23316837_10155789535295350_7745662816431133848_n_170.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 7,969
Hi - and welcome to the 993 crowd.

If your vents are blowing hot all the time, the most likely issue will be the mixer servo's in the footwells'. These can fail, and stick open which means you will only get hot air.

Is it both sides that blow hot, or just one?

Also, take a look at ToreB's excellent pages at:

https://www.bergvillfx.com/porschehvac1
....and
https://www.bergvillfx.com/ccurepair

I had a similar issue, have a look here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106905

It's probably the footwell mixer servo/mixing flap motor. Check out Tore's pages as the best starting point.

EDIT: didn't see AndyS's reply above.. oops...:bonk:

911livin said:
I have lots planned with it so excited about all that, Ill post progress as and when.
Look forward to hearing those plans! :)

911livin said:

Welcome to 993 ownership and the forum. You will get all the advice you need here.

The heating/cooling on a 993 has a mind of its own and you will find many threads on it. Could be a variety of things including the little fan in the CC unit that 'sucks' the air in to check the temperature. Tore B is the master with heating/cooling diagnosis, as already linked.

Half the problem with the heating is that the cars are so good and feel so modern, 21st Century owners just cannot believe the a/c is so temperamental. It's one - a big one - of the reasons Porsche went water-cooled for the 996 to keep BMW and Merc owners happy.

Do you have a/c?

My 993 was stuck blowing hot air- the issue was the little electric motor in the right hand side of the driver's footwell that controls the air mixer flap- it's a fairly easy DIY job once you have purchased the appropriate new part 👍

Thanks for the replies!

I'l read the links you posted and hopefully get it sorted, the aircon is not working and eventually i will be getting all that weight taken out... :hand:

Im loving the 993 and cant wait to get back out driving tomorrow!

911livin said:
the aircon is not working and eventually i will be getting all that weight taken out... :hand:

I hope they didn't give you the old chestnut "Just needs a re-gas" :roll:

Personally it's worth fixing if you've got it as the Illuminati will be all over you like a tramp on chips if they see the AC buttons on the HVAC but absence of compressor etc :what: Owners have been tarred and feathered for less.

Only hardcore (those who've spent a lot of time near the equator) go without AC :hand:

Zingari said:
I hope they didn't give you the old chestnut "Just needs a re-gas" :roll:

Its all cool, I knew about it all before the sale, I'm going to be making this car my own :eek: so planning to make it into a lightweight.. so anything unnecessary will be removed..

Welcome to 993 ownership.

I came from watercooled too, 996GT2 to 993C2S and now 993C2, going backwards is the new way forward. :grin:

Nice looking car, is it Black or Midnight Blue as it's hard to make out from the pic posted?

Plans for weight reduction sounds like fun. What's the plan and end goal?

C.

new 993 owner here

same cableguy I went from 996 GT2 to a 993 c2 missed the c2 s but luv this car. just came back from an alps trip awsome

cableguy said:
Nice looking car, is it Black or Midnight Blue as it's hard to make out from the pic posted?

Plans for weight reduction sounds like fun. What's the plan and end goal?

C.

cheers , its midnight blue.. long term goal is "lightweight touring" at the moment Im just making it look less frumpy.. will get body kit as soon as I have some coin but taking out air con and putting new wheels for now as it drives lovely, I love it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back