Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 GTS Snap, Crackle and Pop?

weejimmy

I've noticed that my GTS only does its audible tricks in Sport mode. In Sport+ it doesn't pop at all. I guess it figures you want to just get on with things and not mess about wasting unburnt fuel. Likewise no pops in normal mode (as you would expect). There is increased volume over standard in Sport plus, but no pops on overrun.

Does this match with other 991.2 GTS owners findings?

Pretty sure my 991.1 C4s would pop in both Sport and Sports Plus, but I may be wrong on that!

weejimmy said:
I've noticed that my GTS only does its audible tricks in Sport mode. In Sport+ it doesn't pop at all. I guess it figures you want to just get on with things and not mess about wasting unburnt fuel. Likewise no pops in normal mode (as you would expect). There is increased volume over standard in Sport plus, but no pops on overrun.

Does this match with other 991.2 GTS owners findings?

Pretty sure my 991.1 C4s would pop in both Sport and Sports Plus, but I may be wrong on that!

Mine only does it in sports mode not sport plus

Same with my 991.2 GTS Sport mode pops and crackles. Like your experience with the 991.1 my C2S would have pops and crackles in both Sport and Sport+ modes.

My old 991.2 Targa 4S used to do it in Sport mode only, however the noise was more a fart*ng noise which was naff so I never used Sport mode again

Thanks chaps. Glad to know mine is working as intended! :thumb:

The other observation with the crackle on the 991.2 is that it will only do it over a drop over a couple of K revs. So if you shift down and the new gear hits 5k, you get it until about 3k. If you shift and hit 3.5k, you get it down to 1.5k and so on. Since its fabricated it seems it will do it for a second or two, then it goes quiet. "That is your lot sir!"
:dont know:

With the 991.1 it did it as long as you wanted. Shift down and hit 5k in the new gear and then it would grumble and pop all the way down to 1.5k if you let the car gently slow up under its own momentum. I miss that! I doubt those living in the roads approaching my home do! :oops:

Having said that, several people have commented to me that the GTS is loud - it just doesn't do the vocal licks that the N/A could!

Don't get me wrong, the 991.2 is a step forwards in every other aspect and the GTS feels special and dialled, but sonically the 3.8 has it covered when pushing on or down shifting. There is a back road I use that windows down, sunroof on and PSE active always made me smile in the 3.8. The GTS gets down it way quicker, but it isn't as exciting to listen to or be in. BUt it does feel more agile and turns in like a ferret down a drainpipe (RWS is fab). Plus whereas the 3.8 could sometimes feel a bit coarse and droned a bit sometimes (depending on my mood), the 3.0TT is very smooth and less wearing.

Swings and roundabouts!

My old 991.1 S never made the fart*ng noise like my Targa did

Is a 911.2 GTS any louder than a 911.2 S with Sport exhaust? I have assumed the GTS version uses the same sport exhaust and the difference that with the GTS the sport exhaust is include in the price!

Not sure by adding the larger turbos than the 911.2S will make the exhaust louder on the GTS?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back