Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Horn issue

Zorro

That's the car not me. The horn is intermittently sounding of its own accord and appears to be triggered by either turning the steering wheel or applying the brakes, even the handbrake. I should welcome any thoughts.

That's a bit random and possibly amusing depending on the timing!

Sounds like a bad earth, the horns can get pretty corroded through time and the connections are liable to suffer. Locate the horns and give them a cleanup. Hopefully, it will be a cheap fix.

Chris993C2 said:
Assuming that you've got the standard 4-spoke steering wheel, it's a common problem - and an easy enough fix...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=113274

Thanks for the link. I don't fancy getting involved with airbags, so I think I'll get it picked up with my annual service later this year.

It's actually incredibly easy. I wouldn't attempt much of the stuff that the more mechanically minded members share on here, but this probably only requires an allen key and a socket set.

Just remember to disconnect the battery...

An interesting video. Knowing my mechanical skills though I'm leaving the airbag alone. I did wonder though why he said don't touch the airbag for 30 - 60 minutes after disconnecting the battery.

Are you sure it wasn't previously owned by a clown?
If the doors fall off I'd do some research.

sday12 said:
Are you sure it wasn't previously owned by a clown?
If the doors fall off I'd do some research.

:floor:

And watch your trousers!

Zorro said:
That's the car not me. The horn is intermittently sounding of its own accord and appears to be triggered by either turning the steering wheel or applying the brakes, even the handbrake. I should welcome any thoughts.

Mine used to do this before I changed the steering wheel. It took me some time before I realised it was my horn that was sounding. For a while I thought I was being 'beeped' by other road users for no reason and responded to them in a less than friendly manner! :oops:

I tried the business card behind the air bag trick and problem solved. I've got the car booked in at Precision for a service next week, so I'll get the bracket issue picked up then. Thanks for the advice guys.

I mis-connected an earth wire when changing the steering wheel and had the unexpected amusement of the horn sounding every time I changed gear (tiptronic).

:lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back