Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Creaks and Squeaks - do I need to move on?

Rob325114

One of the reason's I moved from a Cabrio to a Coupe was because I couldn't get along with the creaks, squeaks and taps that came from the soft roof structure.

The noises coming from my 991 Coupe have surprised me; lots of very minor noises that I have been working my way around fixing - everything from slight creaks from the centre console, to more major creaking from the front offside top strut mount. I have fixed the minor ones myself and the major one via warranty.

However.... every time I get rid of a minor creak, I start to hear another. The most recent one being a slight creak in the drivers seat when driver pressure goes on/off the back-rest (i.e. accelerating/braking/road-bumps). As I went to investigate it, I wondered if this was going to drive me mad - and every time I solve a squeak, am I going to notice another?

Do I need to let this go and accept that a car with a £105k list price is going to continue to make small interior noises? Or will I eventually get to a point where everything is silent?

It seems pretty mad that such a quality and fairly young car can have so many rattles and squeaks. Have you had a drive in another to compare?

Not exactly comparable, but apparently the Z4 coupe rattles much more than the convertible, so I suppose a coupe isn't a total guarantee of silence.

Personally I lower the roof and the wind noise takes care of those irritating rattles!

tom_nieto said:
It seems pretty mad that such a quality and fairly young car can have so many rattles and squeaks. Have you had a drive in another to compare?

Not exactly comparable, but apparently the Z4 coupe rattles much more than the convertible, so I suppose a coupe isn't a total guarantee of silence.

Personally I lower the roof and the wind noise takes care of those irritating rattles!

I have driven other 991.1s and there is the odd rattle, from different places... but the 991.2s I have driven as courtesy cars don't have rattles. It's possible that rattles generate over time(even a short amount of time), rather than because build quality has somehow improved.

The annoyance is that acoustic issues aren't covered by the extended warranty - otherwise i would have an OPC technician sorting them out.

The problem is when you start hearing them you can't stop.

My old 993 barely had any noises at all, when I got the 996 Turbo I was hugely disappointed by the cabin squeaks and noises, it felt like I was going back a model in build quality.

If I'm on a long boring journey I just have the music on, if I'm going for a spirited drive or track/ring day you don't hear them at all!!

Think you have to live with it and enjoy the rest of the car :thumb:

Turn the stereo up.These cars are so stiff, why is it surprising that they all rattle and squeak a bit?. I find that I get used to them after a while and zone out, so that I never hear them again, despite them being still there. If you want silence, get yourself a Lexus. :D

I was fixing noises on Porsches when i first started on them in 2004 .. so 996 etc at that time .

Im still fixing them today !

Hard suspension and the design of the panel fixings is the main reasons .

Porsche have gone to a lot of trouble to try and stop noises its just that sometimes it doesnt seem like it .

My 991.1 had a few squeaks. Sadly the 991.2 is the same. Usual suspects. Drivers seat back creaks when you move you weight around (I'm not that big BTW) and something that just gently taps from the rear, sounds like a loose wire just moving about. Never managed to get them fully sorted on my .1. Have less motivation to try on the .2. The dealer has had one go at the drivers seat and it was better for a week, but the squeak is coming back.

It's annoying, but I always feel that rattles that are behind me are more bearable than those in front. Dash rattles are the worst!

My 997 rattles like mad. Reminds me very much of my first car car which was a classic mini. In that I used to carry a role of duct tape and I would be taping trim & bits up as I drove along to stop the rattling.

ditto with the rear passenger she squeak which seems to be related to pipe rubbing with something? Driving me nuts!
I had the driver seat squeak too on my C4S; seems to be worsen when its cold.

Shurv said:
Turn the stereo up.These cars are so stiff, why is it surprising that they all rattle and squeak a bit?. I find that I get used to them after a while and zone out, so that I never hear them again, despite them being still there. If you want silence, get yourself a Lexus. :D

I get that the cars are stiff - but half the time the rattles/squeaks don't seem correlated to the car chattering on the road; it's things like seat backs, that squeak when the driver moves, rather than necessarily going over a bump. If it were trim pieces that were rattling/squeaking, it'd be a different story.

thedarkknight said:
ditto with the rear passenger she squeak which seems to be related to pipe rubbing with something? Driving me nuts!
I had the driver seat squeak too on my C4S; seems to be worsen when its cold.

Yea, I'm tempted to attempt to solve the squeak, but i'm concerned I will get another sound from somewhere else in the car, and lose hope.

Has anyone shut these cars up for good? Otherwise I will just need to keep the revs over 3k and exhaust switched on.

Have they fixed the street on the Windows that go up and down on the 991? Got it on my 997.2 seen it on earlier models too. Drives me mad!

Now sit quietly I'm about to give a life lesson...

Life is as challenging as you make it. If you keep challenging you'll spend your life fighting. Some things are worth challenging or fighting for. Sometimes the answer is acceptance.

So you have to ask yourself :?:
1) is it worth all your time fighting every little creak (it's a car)
2) is it worth all your time challenging yourself to find a creak.
3) is it best to accept it is what it is, a creak. Once you accept you won't be bothered by it & ultimately you'll sell it one day anyway.

MNC911 said:

Life is as challenging as you make it. If you keep challenging you'll spend your life fighting. Some things are worth challenging or fighting for. Sometimes the answer is acceptance.

3) is it best to accept it is what it is, a creak. Once you accept you won't be bothered by it & ultimately you'll sell it one day anyway.

Sage words MNC but not music to the ears of the OCD! :eek:

MNC911 said:

Christ, I wish I could apply this mantra to my everyday life! :worship:

Instead, I like to challenge everything, and assume everything can (and should) be improved... :frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back