Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Depreciation of Cayman GTS

krishcanag

Hi guys

I am new here. I have been specing a TTRS Vs Cayman S and in the end looked at Cayman GTS. The GTS will cost 13k more so wanted to know if been the flat 4 GTS it will hold its value a lot more than say a TTRS?
Now I see the last Cayman GT4 has increased in price and no doubt the new version when it comes out will do the same. Bit the GT4 will be out of my reach.

Cheers
Krish

GT4 prices have softened as they've now dipped below £80k and they've been out a while, in anticipation of a new model and manual offering in the GT3. I reckon they'll remain on a steady down curve, rather than falling out of bed like a TT, but very very mileage sensitive :what:

Buy the 981 rather than doing your dough on the 718 :grin:

Trouble is the 981 is slow especially compared the TTRS. It's a rocket but without any feedback of the Cayman.

krishcanag said:
Trouble is the 981 is slow especially compared the TTRS. It's a rocket but without any feedback of the Cayman.

Yes but I find that most TT drivers they usually still set off early to do Mrs Slocombe's perm and set. With a Cayman just set off a few minutes earlier then :thumb:

I think that you are on the wrong forum to try to exalt the TTRS versus The Cayman GTS ....
Have you tried driving both or just looking at figures , because that is definitely not the full story ......
Start with just looking at both , it's a no brainier for most on here ....
Drive them .....the GTS is a package whereas the TTRS is .....well.....an Audi....

I think if you were to live with one everyday ...the GTS would be the better car for grin factor .....you never stop looking back at a Porsche when you walk to your front door after a drive ... I could easily not look at the TTRS

Zingari said:
GT4 prices have softened as they've now dipped below £80k and they've been out a while, in anticipation of a new model and manual offering in the GT3. I reckon they'll remain on a steady down curve, rather than falling out of bed like a TT, but very very mileage sensitive :what:

Buy the 981 rather than doing your dough on the 718 :grin:

You can't really compare what is happening / will happen with GTS prices v GT4 as the GT4's experienced a massive price hike over list and it is that which is softening, they are still selling for well over original list. The GTS by comparison has always depreciated from list but by much less than a well specced S model. IMHO that will continue and the gap between a GTS and S will widen. But the 981 in general will hold its price well as it will be the last of the NA/none hybrid Porsches :grin: ps I view the current tin, sorry 4 pot turbo Porsche's as simply a relatively short lived stepping stone to hybrid cars over the next 5 years :hand:

Oh and comparing any porsche to an Audi :eek:

I have indeed driven both sort of. presently own a Mk 3 TTS.
The engine on the Cayman S (driven) is loud and tone is a beetle engine wh n it's in sport. Normal driving it is totally fine.

The TTRS faster than my present and the sound is great and it grips like it's on rails. But the Cayman S does have a real sports car feel when you put the power on coming out of a corner.

I have no idea if the GTS is going to be any different to the S, but I assume it's only marinal.

If money was no object I would order the GTS not the TTRS but with 13k difference I was trying to work out depreciation in actual numbers over say 5 years. Though my intention is to hold on to which ever I buy.
Krish

jonttt said:
You can't really compare what is happening / will happen with GTS prices v GT4 as the GT4's experienced a massive price hike over list and it is that which is softening, they are still selling for well over original list. The GTS by comparison has always depreciated from list but by much less than a well specced S model. IMHO that will continue and the gap between a GTS and S will widen. But the 981 in general will hold its price well as it will be the last of the NA/none hybrid Porsches :grin: ps I view the current tin, sorry 4 pot turbo Porsche's as simply a relatively short lived stepping stone to hybrid cars over the next 5 years :hand:

Oh and comparing any Porsche to an Audi :eek:

This is just the sort of info I am looking for. Very informative. The dealer saleswoman was trying to sell the GTS to on the fact it might even go up in value. I cannot see this new 4pot engine cars going up in value. The new GT4 when it comes out could do that as it's the old 6pot.

The other option is a 911 997 turbo pdk. But it's going to a 6 year old car 🤔
Krish

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...-porsche-718-cayman-s-full-comparison-review/

Worth a read but cut straight to the end ref second hand prices.

I was in a similar position last year although I was looking to upgrade to a new M4. Long story short - having considered a new 718S for a while I bought a 2010 911 C4S for a lot less money. To buck my ten year trend with new cars I have seen an increase in residuals in the last 11 months so the cost of ownership is significantly less than any other option that I had previously considered.

I am so happy I made the decision I did, the car is a riot and I would only upgrade if I had nothing else at all to spend the money on.

New car depreciation in the first 3 years smarts a bit, it's just some smart more than others.

One thing I did like in that article was: "What sets these two cars apart conceptually is one simple fact: the Porsche is a sports car, the Audi is a very sporty car."

Edit: try the 911 Turbo if you haven't already, it is mind bending quick and will be an occasion every time you get behind the wheel or gaze at it while you walk away.

krishcanag said:
The dealer saleswoman was trying to sell the GTS to on the fact it might even go up in value.

Mrs Jonttt I suspect :roll:

TTRS has 4-wheel drive so I would expect it to handle better than a Cayman for those not experienced in RWD platforms. TTRS will have much more advanced technology than 718 as by new Panamera standards the 718 is behind the curve on dash design etc :what:

:hand: However you don't buy a Porsche to get the latest in dash design, Apps and interface etc as you are buying a pure sports car designed platform with solid build quality and a good fit/finish.

I once tried a TT :oops: but as I like to have my arm resting on the window sill soon realised I'd end up with a permament disfugurement as my joints couldn't handle it. Reminded me of kids in the back of an Austin Allegro scratching at the windows like doormice trying to get out.

If residuals are important, you shouldn't buy new unless a GT2/GT3/GT4 is an option. With depreciation, a 12-18 month old (or more) Porsche will outperform any volume marque like Audi/Merc/BMW/whatever.

If you are speccing cars then clearly you are a new-shiny kind of buyer, but there really is a lot more value in something like a used 997 GTS than where you are... :dont know:

krishcanag said:
I have indeed driven both sort of. presently own a Mk 3 TTS.
The engine on the Cayman S (driven) is loud and tone is a beetle engine wh n it's in sport. Normal driving it is totally fine.

The TTRS faster than my present and the sound is great and it grips like it's on rails. But the Cayman S does have a real sports car feel when you put the power on coming out of a corner.

I have no idea if the GTS is going to be any different to the S, but I assume it's only marinal.

If money was no object I would order the GTS not the TTRS but with 13k difference I was trying to work out depreciation in actual numbers over say 5 years. Though my intention is to hold on to which ever I buy.
Krish

The shame of it is your obviously after a new car and if the 718 had the old six pot engine the decision would be a lot easier. The sound of the 981 GTS v a TTRS is much more biased towards the GTS. Personally I went 981 GTS for just that reason and never even entertained the TTRS.

Yes I guess having never owned a brand new car it's a once in a lifetime wise.
Also the 981 GTS is slower than my TTS so I cannot understand spending 30k and part exchange for a slower car.

The new GTS is my only option the gt2/3/4 are all above my ability.

My guess is in 5 years the ttrs would be worth 40% while I expect the new GTS to be 55% maybe, assuming 40000 miles. Would anyone disagree?

Krish

krishcanag said:
Yes I guess having never owned a brand new car it's a once in a lifetime wise.
Also the 981 GTS is slower than my TTS so I cannot understand spending 30k and part exchange for a slower car.

The new GTS is my only option the gt2/3/4 are all above my ability.

My guess is in 5 years the ttrs would be worth 40% while I expect the new GTS to be 55% maybe, assuming 40000 miles. Would anyone disagree?

Krish

Your TTS is faster than a 981 GTS? Is it modified?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back