Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 8
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 10
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

krishcanag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Depreciation of Cayman GTS Reply with quote

Hi guys

I am new here. I have been specing a TTRS Vs Cayman S and in the end looked at Cayman GTS. The GTS will cost 13k more so wanted to know if been the flat 4 GTS it will hold its value a lot more than say a TTRS?
Now I see the last Cayman GT4 has increased in price and no doubt the new version when it comes out will do the same. Bit the GT4 will be out of my reach.

Cheers
Krish

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

1997 Porsche 911 993 C4S My Journal
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740e Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT4 prices have softened as they've now dipped below £80k and they've been out a while, in anticipation of a new model and manual offering in the GT3. I reckon they'll remain on a steady down curve, rather than falling out of bed like a TT, but very very mileage sensitive what

Buy the 981 rather than doing your dough on the 718 Grin

krishcanag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is the 981 is slow especially compared the TTRS. It's a rocket but without any feedback of the Cayman.

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krishcanag wrote:
Trouble is the 981 is slow especially compared the TTRS. It's a rocket but without any feedback of the Cayman.

Yes but I find that most TT drivers they usually still set off early to do Mrs Slocombe's perm and set. With a Cayman just set off a few minutes earlier then Thumb

911TEL
Österreich

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you are on the wrong forum to try to exalt the TTRS versus The Cayman GTS ....
Have you tried driving both or just looking at figures , because that is definitely not the full story ......
Start with just looking at both , it’s a no brainier for most on here ....
Drive them .....the GTS is a package whereas the TTRS is .....well.....an Audi....

I think if you were to live with one everyday ...the GTS would be the better car for grin factor .....you never stop looking back at a Porsche when you walk to your front door after a drive ... I could easily not look at the TTRS
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:
GT4 prices have softened as they've now dipped below £80k and they've been out a while, in anticipation of a new model and manual offering in the GT3. I reckon they'll remain on a steady down curve, rather than falling out of bed like a TT, but very very mileage sensitive what

Buy the 981 rather than doing your dough on the 718 Grin

You can’t really compare what is happening / will happen with GTS prices v GT4 as the GT4’s experienced a massive price hike over list and it is that which is softening, they are still selling for well over original list. The GTS by comparison has always depreciated from list but by much less than a well specced S model. IMHO that will continue and the gap between a GTS and S will widen. But the 981 in general will hold its price well as it will be the last of the NA/none hybrid Porsches Grin ps I view the current tin, sorry 4 pot turbo Porsche’s as simply a relatively short lived stepping stone to hybrid cars over the next 5 years Hand

Oh and comparing any porsche to an Audi Surprised

2017 BMW 740e Msport

krishcanag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have indeed driven both sort of. presently own a Mk 3 TTS.
The engine on the Cayman S (driven) is loud and tone is a beetle engine wh n it's in sport. Normal driving it is totally fine.

The TTRS faster than my present and the sound is great and it grips like it's on rails. But the Cayman S does have a real sports car feel when you put the power on coming out of a corner.

I have no idea if the GTS is going to be any different to the S, but I assume it's only marinal.

If money was no object I would order the GTS not the TTRS but with 13k difference I was trying to work out depreciation in actual numbers over say 5 years. Though my intention is to hold on to which ever I buy.
Krish

krishcanag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:

You can’t really compare what is happening / will happen with GTS prices v GT4 as the GT4’s experienced a massive price hike over list and it is that which is softening, they are still selling for well over original list. The GTS by comparison has always depreciated from list but by much less than a well specced S model. IMHO that will continue and the gap between a GTS and S will widen. But the 981 in general will hold its price well as it will be the last of the NA/none hybrid Porsches Grin ps I view the current tin, sorry 4 pot turbo Porsche’s as simply a relatively short lived stepping stone to hybrid cars over the next 5 years Hand

Oh and comparing any Porsche to an Audi Surprised

This is just the sort of info I am looking for. Very informative. The dealer saleswoman was trying to sell the GTS to on the fact it might even go up in value. I cannot see this new 4pot engine cars going up in value. The new GT4 when it comes out could do that as it's the old 6pot.

The other option is a 911 997 turbo pdk. But it's going to a 6 year old car 🤔
Krish

Monkeynutz
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/comparison/2017/twin-test-audi-tt-rs-vs-porsche-718-cayman-s-full-comparison-review/

Worth a read but cut straight to the end ref second hand prices.

I was in a similar position last year although I was looking to upgrade to a new M4. Long story short - having considered a new 718S for a while I bought a 2010 911 C4S for a lot less money. To buck my ten year trend with new cars I have seen an increase in residuals in the last 11 months so the cost of ownership is significantly less than any other option that I had previously considered.

I am so happy I made the decision I did, the car is a riot and I would only upgrade if I had nothing else at all to spend the money on.

New car depreciation in the first 3 years smarts a bit, it's just some smart more than others.

One thing I did like in that article was: "What sets these two cars apart conceptually is one simple fact: the Porsche is a sports car, the Audi is a very sporty car."

Edit: try the 911 Turbo if you haven't already, it is mind bending quick and will be an occasion every time you get behind the wheel or gaze at it while you walk away.

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krishcanag wrote:
The dealer saleswoman was trying to sell the GTS to on the fact it might even go up in value.

Mrs Jonttt I suspect Rolling Eyes

TTRS has 4-wheel drive so I would expect it to handle better than a Cayman for those not experienced in RWD platforms. TTRS will have much more advanced technology than 718 as by new Panamera standards the 718 is behind the curve on dash design etc what

Hand However you don't buy a Porsche to get the latest in dash design, Apps and interface etc as you are buying a pure sports car designed platform with solid build quality and a good fit/finish.

I once tried a TT Embarassed but as I like to have my arm resting on the window sill soon realised I'd end up with a permament disfugurement as my joints couldn't handle it. Reminded me of kids in the back of an Austin Allegro scratching at the windows like doormice trying to get out.

Disco
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If residuals are important, you shouldn't buy new unless a GT2/GT3/GT4 is an option. With depreciation, a 12-18 month old (or more) Porsche will outperform any volume marque like Audi/Merc/BMW/whatever.

If you are speccing cars then clearly you are a new-shiny kind of buyer, but there really is a lot more value in something like a used 997 GTS than where you are... Dont know

Black 997 GT3 3.8 CS - Acquired for the 2012 season and beyond
Black 996 GT3 Mk2 - Gone, but will never be forgotten

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krishcanag wrote:
I have indeed driven both sort of. presently own a Mk 3 TTS.
The engine on the Cayman S (driven) is loud and tone is a beetle engine wh n it's in sport. Normal driving it is totally fine.

The TTRS faster than my present and the sound is great and it grips like it's on rails. But the Cayman S does have a real sports car feel when you put the power on coming out of a corner.

I have no idea if the GTS is going to be any different to the S, but I assume it's only marinal.

If money was no object I would order the GTS not the TTRS but with 13k difference I was trying to work out depreciation in actual numbers over say 5 years. Though my intention is to hold on to which ever I buy.
Krish

The shame of it is your obviously after a new car and if the 718 had the old six pot engine the decision would be a lot easier. The sound of the 981 GTS v a TTRS is much more biased towards the GTS. Personally I went 981 GTS for just that reason and never even entertained the TTRS.

2017 BMW 740e Msport

krishcanag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I guess having never owned a brand new car it's a once in a lifetime wise.
Also the 981 GTS is slower than my TTS so I cannot understand spending 30k and part exchange for a slower car.

The new GTS is my only option the gt2/3/4 are all above my ability.

My guess is in 5 years the ttrs would be worth 40% while I expect the new GTS to be 55% maybe, assuming 40000 miles. Would anyone disagree?

Krish

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krishcanag wrote:
Also the 981 GTS is slower than my TTS so I cannot understand spending 30k and part exchange for a slower car.

My guess is in 5 years the ttrs would be worth 40% while I expect the new GTS to be 55% maybe, assuming 40000 miles. Would anyone disagree?

Krish

Your TTS is faster than a 981 GTS? Is it modified?

911TEL
Österreich

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krishcanag wrote:

Krish

Man,

If you are debating whether to buy The Cayman GTS or an Audi TTs over a ‘possible’ 15% and not being able to decide then I guess you should buy the Audi beetle because it’s looking clearer that you may not ‘get’ the Porsche ......
Personally the decision wouldn’t be over a possible residual like that , it’s about the days you drive it and the enjoyment .....you will maybe never know that feeling dude ....
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krishcanag wrote:

Krish

A Little bit of naivety there Krish if you don't mind me saying.... speed is relative and not even the be all and end all. I've been in and owned much faster cars but whether I can in reality drive them faster or have more fun is a different question. The margin between a TTRS and 981 in the real world is more than offset by other factors. I guess however as Iv'e already expressed that comparing the TTRS to the 4 pot 718 turbo motor is a closer challenge. Personally I would rather have 50 less BHP but a NA power delivery and associated orgasmic soundtrack that a turbo engine can only dream of Wink

turn your speakers up !

Open Youtube Page

2017 BMW 740e Msport

krishcanag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isysman wrote:
[

Your TTS is faster than a 981 GTS? Is it modified?

The TTS 0-60 4.6 sec
981 GTS 0-60 4.8 sec
Ttrs 3.6 sec not 3.7
New Cayman GTS 4.1 sec

I listened to the sound the old 981 GTS makes and it is amazing I can only compare that to the Cayman s and no contest. In comparison to the new ttrs the 981 GTS beats that as well but only just both are great.

People keep posting in ref to TT, the base TT is a wet blanket with a hair dryer compared to the ttrs.

I agree the Porsche is better and more fun to drive but I want g force acceleration as well as good handling. I cannot get that form the old 981gts I think. Though I might see if I can test drive one but my heart is not in a slower car.

Krish

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTS PDK 0-60 is 4.1 seconds. But as others have said that’s not what it’s about. Car ownership is about so much more than that. The 981 Boxster S was 4.2 seconds.

krishcanag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isysman wrote:
GTS PDK 0-60 is 4.1 seconds. But as others have said that’s not what it’s about. Car ownership is about so much more than that. The 981 Boxster S was 4.2 seconds.

??
On auto trader or Porsche a 981 GTS with pdk it says 4.8 sec 340hp

The new one is 4.1 which is fast enough for me my original question was if both depreciate give or take 15% difference between them I may go with ttrs if it's more like 25 % difference between the new Cayman GTS and ttrs over five years I would take higher monthly payments to buy the GTS
Krish

Last edited by krishcanag on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: