Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

has anyone purchased from this person/ did I get scammed?

adrian993

Monza
I had a member with 0 posts send me a email contact for a Brad Lowery in North Carolina, selling some 993 parts. I was looking for a turbo s Aerokit

So we have the usual conversations and I saw there was a post on rennlist with the exact same pictures on rennlist from 2013 that never got sold and he said he stored them away so I assumed it was the same person (that post said he was located in Florida)

We agreed on a shipped price from the US and I wired him the money (he said didn't have paypal). A few days later he said money arrived, but there is now additional export taxes and shipping costs of $1000 usd.. then I try to get some confirmation about the bills for these extra costs or is it possible to refund and he says he has already spent a part of the money to start arranging the shipping (but refuses to give me any proof of so).

This all starts to get a bit fishy to me. But then I'm wondering if he's trying to scam me why's he still asking for me?

Has anyone dealt with this person or come across something like this when purchasing from US? I've heard of import taxes but never export taxes

Appreciate any help here if anyone has anything. PM me if anyone needs contacts etc just to confirm. Really appreciate it..

this is the PM sent to me on the forum

I did ask the seller(potentially scam) for some other parts and he said he didn't have them... I mean if they are a scam surely they would say they have everything and ramp up the bill right?

Attachments

• d54222c0_53c6_4fdb_bdef_ef685fefc370_113.jpeg
    d54222c0_53c6_4fdb_bdef_ef685fefc370_113.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 4,773
I hate to be the one to break it to you but I'd say you will never see your money or parts.....I definately wouldn't send any further funds. That seems classic scam tactics - untraceable AOL adresss, bank transfer, no PayPal etc.

Yep, standard scam email format. Just cut and paste by the thousand 'regarding your request'.

Doesn't even bother personalising them for the required part.

Yor money is long gone, plus you will now be on the 'suckers list'.

Watch out for many more.

(He is still in contact with you as he is sure there is more money to extract from you yet.)

There is no export tax. Only thing I can think of is that the courier wants the import tax paid up front so they don't get stuck with goods undelivered due to subsequent non-payment by the recipient.

Depending on the bulk of the items, the courier costs may well be high.

Have you put out cry for help on renlist? Maybe someone knows him/has dealt with him/lives nearby??

Good luck.

Really appreciate the advices.

I've put out a cry call on rennlist and also asked the seller to ship it to my firms US address... hope there is some light somewhere

imac said:
There is no export tax. Only thing I can think of is that the courier wants the import tax paid up front so they don't get stuck with goods undelivered due to subsequent non-payment by the recipient.

That can happen but the seller should be able to produce the shipping costs breakdown. For example eBay international now adds all the (rip off) tax/VAT for you.

No PayPal? That is the first warning signal. If Western Union is mentioned run for the hills. Any mention of a relative in Nigeria that's the hat-trick.

Bank details for transfer (if you used these) may be of use to US authorities if they can be bothered (or if you can reach out to a chum on 993 Rennlist who might do some digging).

I wonder if 911uk IT Branch can assist with where the IP pings for jackarttt :dont know:

Tracing this is nigh on impossible. Your money is gone and you will not get the goods.

Alarm bells in this as highlighted by others.

Just to clarify there is no export tax for goods leaving. The terms of delivery (INCO terms) may have been DDP = Delivered Duty Paid (that is UK duties paid). Freight can be paid by seller (CPT or CIP) or by buyer (FCA).

Its important to establish the terms of carriage when buying goods from overseas in this matter. The seller may arrange and pay for freight and charge it as a line item or add it to the cost of goods. If its FCA the responsibility is on the buyer to arrange collection from the supplier for delivery to UK.

Yes sadly 99% sure you've been done.

Don't send any more money whatever you do.

Definitely worth posting on Rennlist on the 1% chance

It's a scam.

Jackarttt sent me a PM based on my GT2 wheels WANTED ad.

So I emailed him, he wanted bank transfer only so I was a bit hesitant. Said he is not on any other forums too...

I PM the Jackarttt chap, no reply.

Then Brad emailed calling me Sir this and Sir that, that's when I thought this was a bit fishy so I left it.

Only wanted $800 for a front and rear 996 GT2 wheel too
:sad:

Your money is long gone, sorry

:thumb:

His reply:

I am not on rennlist. You have no worries sir, i am true to my words
. Wheels are ready to go. You came to me saying you where directed to
me and thats because i am true to my words. Some bad eggs have really
destroyed the little reputation we carry and i understand its
difficult to trust me but i am good to my words and will never rip you
off sir.

Thanks