Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Improving the rubbish Sound proofing on the 997.1

Boba fett

Magny-Cours
Whilst doing the red seat belts on my car (PITA job by the way) I did see the difference in sound proofing from the much improved Gen2. As many (and mostly Turbo owners) will know the trye / road roar from the Gen1 is quite distracting and spoils other nice noises and senses !!

Pictures are rubbish but it was getting dark once I started apply the soundproofing (PM me if you want help) So, basically the Gen1 has next to nothing over the rear wheel arch's and rear quarters hence the problem....

Double layer sound proofing added and this was just the start but you get the picture...

Road test for me was night and day, at least half the normal road / tyre noise and well worth the effort.

If you are doing your belts, this is a no brainer.. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Nice one boba! I wonder if my 2009 turbo vote the additional soundproofing?

silvermilnec said:
Nice one boba! I wonder if my 2009 turbo vote the additional soundproofing?

Not sure if the 09 had it, I doubt it, some early Gen 2's did not have, however my car looked like metal mikey once finished but made a difference and worth the stretch... :thumb: :thumb:

Hi, looks like a nice easy albeit fiddly weekend job. What brand of mat did you use?

Ta

vlad said:
Hi, looks like a nice easy albeit fiddly weekend job. What brand of mat did you use?

Ta

Just used the good old eBay for the soundproofing, just made sure it's self adhesive.

Jesus Christ, I was driving taking my wife away for the weekend and as I don't drive the car much being a weekend car, my wife was like constantly bitching about the noise in the car coming from the back, I understand now the sound proofing is needed !!! On the motorway it is bad.. if your used to a quiet car.. I just had to say it's the big tyres, as with the noise I don't mind, so to make matters worse for a laugh I pressed the PSE and pressed the PSM button to shut her up... ain't heard a noise from her since... she swore never to be sitting in the car again Hahahahah... on a serious note i think after the new year I'll invest in some Dynamat best sound proofing on the market from what was told..... but not on top of my list of mods to do !!!

J

Interesting, I didn't realise the Gen 2 had any additional sound proofing.

I looked into it a while ago as I don't like road noise, and the general opinion was that Gen 2 was no quieter than Gen 1. I also read a few people had tied sound proofing and that it made no real difference. Shame you didn't use an iPhone DB meter to test before an after!

I'm not sure my gen 2 has the improved sound deadening. Agreed on the tyre noise from the back though!

Good work, theres a db meter app on the iPhone, i wonder if its a noticeable change in noise. Definitely gonna try it myself over winter though!

Mezgerite said:
Interesting, I didn't realise the Gen 2 had any additional sound proofing.

I looked into it a while ago as I don't like road noise, and the general opinion was that Gen 2 was no quieter than Gen 1. I also read a few people had tied sound proofing and that it made no real difference. Shame you didn't use an iPhone DB meter to test before an after!

Don't get me wrong, it won't be Bentley quiet, but it's a marked improvement, would I tear out the rear panels to do this on there own, probably not, but in conjunction with something else , most definatly.

There was definitely more soundproofing on my gen 2 when we did the belts last week than in Bobas pics of the gen1. cant say I ever hear anything above the sound of the cargraphic super sports exhaust though :grin: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
There was definitely more soundproofing on my gen 2 when we did the belts last week than in Bobas pics of the gen1. cant say I ever hear anything above the sound of the cargraphic super sports exhaust though :grin: :grin:

Interestingly, there is also more sound proofing above the rear wheels on my gen 1 carrera.... work that one out!!
Mine have a piece of material which is clearly shaped to fit the cavity above the wheel.
Possible a previous owner removed yours boba?

rob_p said:
Phil 997 said:

Interestingly, there is also more sound proofing above the rear wheels on my gen 1 carrera.... work that one out!!
Mine have a piece of material which is clearly shaped to fit the cavity above the wheel.
Possible a previous owner removed yours boba?

I had that, it was a piece of felt shaped material to fit on top of the wheel arches. It was woeful. You would probably achieve better results by putting some socks in their. It now sits on top of the proper sound deadening material. :thumb:

I'm not sure dynamat would look much good lining the soft top. Might interfere with the folding mechanism too :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back