Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High-level brake light for C4S Cab

Osh

Paul Ricard
Evening all.

so, as one of my friends on here recently pointed out, my high level, center brake light looks old, tired and knackered. So has anyone got a good link to a replacement light that will make it look nice again...?? 8)

Osh

I see another 996 on a daily basis that had an LED 3rd brake light fitted a year or so ago and it seems to have aged visibly with a couple of LED elements not working already.
I was tempted when I first saw it but now, having seen how poorly it has aged I think I will be heading to my OPC to get a replacement for mine.

Evening Pete

just been looking on Design911 - they're £100+ which seems ridiculous to me...

Osh

I totally agree that the OE item is a touch expensive, however at least it is a known quantity and will last for 15 years plus, if mine are anything to go by.
It did make me chuckle a bit to see that the end cap is not included and needs to be purchased separately :eek:

I have a 2003 3.6 Carrera and a few of the individual lights did not work. I asked the local OPC out here to replace the entire light and they said it would be too expensive so the mechanic bought some individual bulbs and somehow fitted them. All the strip lights up like new. He has been working there for over 30 years and clearly knew the cars well. He has since retired otherwise I would have popped in to ask him how he did it for you. Sorry I cannot be too specific but at least there maybe an alternative cheaper solution.

They're just LED's so its a very simple fix costing pennies if you can get the unit apart to access them. I havent looked but it cant be that hard to split it into separate parts and then just de-solder the dead LED's and replace like for like.

I expect I'll have to replace mine in January - not because the lights don't work, but because Ty at Riviera says that they invariably break when the painter tries to remove them.

So I'm likely to have one for spares/repairs if anyone needs one early next year.

IIRC the OEM parts are not LEDs and the bulbs can be replaced, you can probably use LEDs as replacements.

My car has aftermarket LED lights for both the upper 3rd light and the spoiler mounted light.

The upper light looks a bit old and a couple of the LEDs have failed, it's a sealed unit and the LEDs are not replaceable so I plan to buy a replacement unit. I don't know how long it has been in place so I can't comment on its life but they're about £50.

I had hoped that someone might know of another car that uses the same design so I could find a cheaper source.........

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back