Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It's a runner

decgraham

Continuing on for my previous posts, I received the right O-rings for the oil bridge yesterday so I fitted them today. It was then just a case of putting everything back together again. However, as the engine was dropped off its hanger and the tin wear was off I decided to check the top set of plugs. They were only changed 20K Kms ago but I wanted to check if the Indy I use changed the one just behind the power steering pump. What a PITA to get out and then to get back in. I used a plug socket and extension but dropped the plug inside :oops: I then had to go about "fishing" it out. Finally got it out using a piece of plastic tube that I was able to slip over the plug and pull it out. If you have a Porsche tool wrap there is a plug spanner in there which I used to put the plugs back, much easier as it has a rubber ring fixed inside which grips the plug end. As tools in my tool wrap have never been used I didn't want to use any but had no choice so the wrap is no longer a virgin 8)

Got it all back together in the end and then turned the engine over again by hand, I was still worried about the LHS camshaft, had it slipped or not :dont know: Finally put the lower set of plugs back in, they are so much easier to deal with and reconnected the battery. I pulled the DME and turned the engine over and listened...... no horrible sounds :thumbs: I then put the DME back in and went for it..... it started on the button :D I hadn't put the silencer boxes back on as I thought that if I'm going to do camshaft timing I might as well leave the boxes off as I'd be taking off the CAT, heat shields and rear tin wear. What a fabulous noise :lol: never run it like that before but boy did it sound good :D Unfortunately the Spanish police would not be too happy with the noise so I finished off the days work by putting the silencer boxes back. The rear PU will go back tomorrow and then its off for a test drive and a check to see if I've finally sorted the blo*dy leak.

On closing just want to thank P-Tek for letting me know the possibility of the slipping camshaft, it made me take extra care to check that the engine turned OK by hand which gave me the confidence to eventually start the beast :thumb: Lesson learned, always set the engine to TDC if working on anything to do with timing!

ATB :)

Good result :D

It's always nerve-wracking after tinkering when you get to that "moment of truth" - my personal favourite is anything to do with airbags... :eek:

Thanks Demort hope P-Teks move goes well :thumb:

Thanks Trev, it was a hard day because of the upper plugs, I probably wasted a couple of hours, but as I said using the Porsche spark plug tool made it easier.

Yes, if the chain had jumped a tooth I would have been in trouble but luckily that didn't happen. Will always set the engine to TDC in the future :thumb:

Really??, only took me a few secs to replace my plugs :thumb:

Have you had a chance to take the beast out for a good run?, any leaks?.

I've ordered the oil bridge O rings, and also a new set of the rubber dohnuts and nuts used to hold the cam chain covers on as mine weren't it great shape.

Trev

:) Trev make sure you do everything on your engine while it's out, so much easier. I'm sure it would have taken me a few seconds too if I had mine out of the car. But the secret is to use the Porsche plug spanner and make sure it clips on top of the plug. Again I've learnt something so not so bad :lol:

I've had the car out today for a good run...... I am waiting to see if there is still a leak. Of course topping off after the oil and filter change I spilt some oil :x so that was on the floor this morning. I'm running the car without the engine cover on so I can get a better look from underneath. Fingers crossed I've finally sorted it. I'll post results after a bit more driving.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back